cardio before or after strength training?

Options
2»

Replies

• jancli
    jancli Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it doesn't really matter. Especially if you aren't a super-elite athlete trying to win stuff.

Just workout as hard as you can, mix things up so you aren't doing the same thing every day, listen to your body, and have fun!

Sometimes I think we make everything way too complicated... with all these rules to try to 'maximize' everything and it just puts too much pressure on ourselves to be perfect all the time.
  • jancli
    jancli Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well said! I agree with you 100%.
  • kkrondon
    kkrondon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do my cardio first because I usually do a steady 30 min. run. Then I either weight train or circuit train (which involves weight lifting) for another 30 min. or so. I find that if I reverse the order, I don't have the energy to get thru my run as efficiently/effectively. But, it really depends on what works/feels best to you.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    My recommendation for general weight loss is a short (5-10 minute) brisk walk on the treadmill or elliptical to get the blood flowing. Then lift. Then a solid cardio session.

...this
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite articles on this topic:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek34.htm

Might be best to split them at least a few hours apart if you can.
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Options
    I like cardio before lifting...but as many have said, it depends on your goal....there is no exact science to this (that i know of)
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do an hour on the elliptical and then an hour on weights. I LOVE lifting weights and only sometimes love the elliptical (most of the time I think of it as a necessary evil). So my "reward" for doing my cardio, is lifting weights afterwards.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I separate the 2. If I decide to do both in one day, I either do cardio in the morning and strength training at night or vice versa. Depends on how I'm feeling.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i dont usually do cardio and strength on the same day - im supposed to, according to my program (20 minutes cardio after lifting) but i just dont. ill lift for 20-30 minutes 3 times a week, and do 60 minutes of cardio 2 times a week with two rest days

if i do extra cardio, i do it in the morning and then lift at night