Zumba

Options
Hey, I've been filling out my exercise for today and does anyone know roughly how many calories you'd burn in an hour long zumba class? I've read anywhere from 300 to 1000!!! Gone with an average of 600 for the hour but just wondering what other peoples thoughts were? Cheers =) xx

Replies

• hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It depends on your weight and the intensity. If you co to Zumbacalories.com you can plug in your info and get a more accurate count.
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    I burned 487 last night in about an hour.

Angie
  • grahamckas88
    grahamckas88 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I always burn around 600. I'm 5'7 @ 146 lbs.
  • looby_loo91
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm 5 2 and about 180lbs at the moment, used the zumbacalories site and it reckoned 643 so wasn't a bad estimate it turns out!!
  • cassy30
    Options
    Thats a great turnout!! Do u have any zumba tapes? Or use the wii games to workout?? I really want zumba on there too!!
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 2 and 118 lbs. I think i only burn 200-300 calories in all my gym classes-weights/cardio, step, zumba, kickboxing. People overestimate how many calories they are burning :)
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    ps We have the best zumba instructor at my gym but she is overweight :) She is a fantastic teacher and packs in 60+ people.
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options
    my instructor said the average person at moderate effort can burn around 500 in 1 hour
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You really wont know until you get a metabolic test. Your burn is based of you VO2 (how much oxygen you consume). So here are some indicators to help you out.

Weight - use this are your base
    Activity level - how intense are you moving, then increase your estimation
    Recovery Level - how fast can you recovery, in a short period of time, then decrease your estimation.
    Fitness level - if you been exercising for while now, then you probably have a higher VO2 max. Decrease your estimation.

I have an extremely high VO2 max. I have to get my heart rate to 160 bpm just to burn fat (level 1 intensity). So typically when i teach Zumba, I only burn 300-400 calories, since my body considers it a lower intensity class.