Can you exercise too much?

Options
I've been on my "diet" for the last 46 days and have lost 20lb so far, so I shouldn't really complain....but! My SO is following weight watchers and has lost 30lb in the same period of time. The big difference is I exercise and she doesn't!

Is it because I am doing weights as well as cardio?
Is it because she is burning more calories due to the fact she gave birth 5 months ago and her system is working quicker?

I try to work out 6 times per week and play Squash 1-2 times per week.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    People lose weights at different speeds, you should never judge yourself against somebody elses progress.

There is such a thing as too much exercise but chances are you aren't over doing it. You are simply retaining more lean muscle mass where as her body is burning it up because she isn't working out.

be happy that you won't be skinny fat, no offense to your SO..
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible to exercise too much, but I doubt you're doing so, and I doubt that's the reason for the difference in your weight loss.

Both of you are doing fantastic, I would just leave it at that.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    1) people are different
    2) she might have a larger calorie deficit than you?
    3) if she just gave birth then some of it should be her body wanting to return to 'normal' AND if she's breast feeding that actually burns a LOT of calories so see 2) again.
  • dokihara
    dokihara Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Losing weight != fat loss. you're lifting weights. You are a male, and have testosterone. You're probably putting on some muscle.

Better to track your progress by body fat %, and/or body measurements.
  • richelliott1
    richelliott1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'll put it down to the fact she is breast feeding!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    It could be lots of things, but probably not that you are exercising too much -

Does she have a larger percentage of body fat to lose?

.....and what they already said above ^^
  • richelliott1
    richelliott1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My SO is 5ft 6" and was 16 stone and I am 5ft 11.5 (6ft is shoes lol) and I was 26 stone.

The reason I asked was I went to the gym today and my legs were dead, I had no energy at all.