c25k graduate and another NSV!

Options
kristypie
kristypie Posts: 102 Member
Today I completed the couch to 5k program! January 2, 2012 marked Week 1, Day 1. The 30, 45 and 60 second intervals were so hard for me! After 8 weeks of tears, fighting against my mind, and 48.84 miles, I am finished. I ran a mile for the first time on February 6. This was my first NSV I shared here. Today, I ran 2.4 miles without stopping in 30 minutes. I am confident that I will run a 5k without stopping within a couple of weeks.

Also, my weigh in today lets me check off my first weight loss goal. I have had an obese BMI for years (I know its a contraversal number and it is not an end-all as far as my health is measured; I have just used it as a guide for my mini goals). After my weigh in today, my BMI is no longer in the obese catagory! Yay!

Replies

• tkaawa
    tkaawa Posts: 302
    Options
    RIGHT ON! GOOD FOR YOU. I bet you're smiling from ear to ear right now:))))))) keep up the good work and just keep pushing
  • divasoofly
    divasoofly Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Girl, that's awesome!! You should be proud because this is an awesome accomplishment. I am on Week 8 day 2 and I am loving it. Keep up the great work, doll!
  • kristypie
    Options
    Thank you guys! Diva, I can't wait to read about your NSV in a couple of days!! :)
  • melpap12
    Options
    Stupid question. what does NSV mean?
  • beeka2ked
    beeka2ked Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!! That is an awesome achievement. I started the C25k program back in Jan but hurt my foot and had to stop. Im planning to try again in March. I have walked several 5k's but to run one non-stop is on my bucket list.
  • shopewell70
    shopewell70 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    "Non Scale Victory"....It basically means that you have reached a goal in your fitness/weight loss journey other than seeing a decrease in the scales.
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    What an AMAZING day for you!!!!! Congratulations! :) thanks so much for sharing!
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Awesome ... i am trying mine too ... C25k i mean ... but really happy for you ... Way to go ..
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    That's an amazing accomplishment! Congrats on graduating!
    I just finished Week 2 Day 2 and I'm feeling really good! :)
  • cruiser3004
    cruiser3004 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well Done, So happy for you!!

I am on Week 8 Day 2, and know only to well the little voice screaming for you to stop. why is the last 5 minutes always such torture??
  • MrsNelson0904
    MrsNelson0904 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's fantastic! You should be so proud of yourself. I've done the C25K program in the past and it got me addicted to running. After a rather lazy pregnancy last year I have lost all my strength when it comes to running so I'm trying to start up with the program again. Congratulations!!!
  • kristypie
    Options
    To everyone on the program: Keep going! You actually CAN do this!

I don't know why, but the first 5 minutes seem to be the hardest for me. It's when the voice in my head is loudest trying to tell me I can't do it. I can't even think about what I'm doing during this time. It's not until later in the run that I can concentrate on my form or think about how far I've gone or I get overwhelmed. I guess it's because I am doing something for the first time that has always seemed out of reach for me. I hope that with persistance that the negative voice in my head will totally go away. For now, I just keep telling it to shut up! :)

Thanks for celebrating with me. This battle would be 10 times harder without you guys on MFP.
  • BradyMommy
    BradyMommy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    WooHoo!! You rock!! I just finished my W5D2 run and am signed up for a 5K on April 7th. I can't wait!!!
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Congratulations...its such a great program isn't it!!

I am 52 and I started the C25K program last october....really really struggled but the small achievements really propelled me...I have found the hardest thing is the mental challenge....like you say its that voice in my head telling me i can't do it....I still struggle for the first 10 minutes and occasionally still succumb to it.... I can't quite run the full 5k without walking but I'm working on it...my best is 26 minutes non stop running 3.2km....I always do 5km but I can't yet get under 40 minutes (I do it in about 42)....but I am confident I'll get there.

I did my first fun run last month....6.5km....and I didn't finish last!! My goal was to complete in in an hour and I did it in 52 minutes...and it was such a buzz....I'm definitely going to do another one.

To all those starting out...if I can do it...anyone can!!
  • LaurenHelv
    Options
    Still sooooo proud of you! I bet it wont be long til you're out of the "overweight" category too! I need to get a knee brace and start c25k again. I gotta be able to run a 5k with you sometime!
  • lilyjay_
    lilyjay_ Posts: 86
    Options
    Well done! I just started this week, day 3 down and not sure I'm ready for next week yet :/ hah! Will keep pushing on though :)
  • kristypie
    Options
    I'm so happy to see everyone doing this program. It's been said by others, and I'll say it again, if I can do it, anyone can do it! I'm telling you, I have never been a runner. If I had to guess, I probably never ran more than 1/8 to 1/4 of a mile at once in my life until this program. I had basically decided that I could never run, I wasn't good at it, and that was going to be that. My husband is a Marine and he runs all the time. He ran the Athens Marathon without having to train for it, for crying out loud. I have always wanted to run with him, but when I would try it would be too hard and I'd give up. Finding this program changed everything. It made my goal attainable for the first time in my life. I started it probably 4 times in the last year and never got past week 3. This time I committed. I freaked out every week thinking that there was no way I could run. 4 minutes? No way! My husband was home on leave last month the first time I had to run 6 minutes. He ran with me, encouraged me, and helped me through it. It was awesome. Now my plan is to up my time little by little until I can run 5k without stopping. Then, I think I will restart the program and try to improve my speed. thanks again, everyone. Good luck to those of you in the middle of c25k. You can do this!!!

Lauren, you are on. I can't wait to run a 5k with you. :)
  • bobbi_jo2
    bobbi_jo2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support and motivation. That is awesome. I am in week 5 day 3 and it's the start of the running without stopping. Tomorrow I'm supossed to run 20 minutes with no breaks and I was feeling pretty scared about it. But this helped and I'm going to push myself and make myself do it. Thanks! I actually signed up for a 10k in June so I don't have a choice to stop. I have a long ways to go, but I'm excited. Best of luck to everyone!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Way to go and congratulations!!!!!:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!