Thai Food Advice

Options
I am going to a restaurant where I know nutritional info. won't be available. Any ideas for good or even decent choices from a Thai food menu? I'd also love to hear about any online sources for general nutrional content of Thai food.

Replies

• fearlessbetz
    fearlessbetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    our database has zillions of foods. just search for the name of the dish you are interested in, chances are, it's in there!
  • CocoNuttie
    Options
    Hi, I am Thai and generally whenever I want to lose some weight, I revert back to eating like a real Thai :D

Thai cuisine is pretty healthy as it is mostly high in protein and low in fat. To avoid calories, it is the same as any cuisine i.e. avoid deep-fried menu and coconut based curries (although personally i don't think coconut fat is all that bad for you). The other things to watch out is that stir-fry could have lots of oil and many dishes may contains a lot of salt.

I'm not sure where you live and what is thai restaurants are like there, but these dishes are REALLY what I practically live on when I'm on diet (and its very hard for any restaurants to make them high cal)

1. Prawn tom yum soup (hot and sour soup). Have this with a small bowl of rice and you can probably still come under 500.
    2. Som tum (papaya salad) this is a VERY tasty and low calories dish. Have it with a small portion of sticky rice (get 1 portion to share between 2) --- I practically loose 20lbs on this dish last year
    3. Larb or Nam-tok; this is a meat heavy salad. Spicy and strong flavour and mostly protein. Go for chicken or beef version if available.
    4. Kang-Som (orange curry) - this is fish/prawn curry with no coconut milk. Very strong fish and tamarind taste, sour and spicy and full of vegetables
    5. Jungle curry - this is also no-coconut curry, commonly contains lean beef. Very strong herby taste, full of good spices (contain lots of green peppercorn and Krachai which make you sweat!!). I always make this curry when I have a cold and feeling ill. It makes your tummy goes hot :D
    6. Thai grilled chicken - I always have this with papaya salad. Careful if they serve it with sweet chilli sauce.

There are many more but as i said before I'm not sure what it is like where you are. Just remember, any thai salad is good, any clear soup or curry (no coconut) is good.

PS : I have papaya salad and grilled chicken and a small portion of rice almost every lunch and that comes to around 300-400 cal, good right??

Hope it goes well for you!! let me know if you have anymore question
  • menudavaca
    menudavaca Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice I love Thai food and want to able to eat it when dieting