Which HRM to go for?

Options
Hi

I'm looking to buy a HRM watch - I really want to more accurately track my energy expenditure, and so think this is the way forward.

I'm looking for a ladies HRM watch and wanted to pick a few brains as to which is a decent one to go for.

Any advice/reviews etc are more than welcome!

Heather

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Polar.. FT4, Ft7, Ft40 and Ft60.

All are excellent models and come in a ladies version(all though you can buy a mens since they allow you to set gender with both the ladies and male versions).
  • ellenrose25
    Options
    i have the ft4 and it's all you'll need! shows me calories and heart rate as well as "goal zone" while working out. i don't think you need to spend more on another version
  • ellenrose25
    Options
    i have the ft4 and it's all you'll need! shows me calories and heart rate as well as "goal zone" while working out. i don't think you need to spend more on another version

though the others are more attractive... but i don't think that matters while working out haha
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Do you wear a chest strap with that one? I'm not sure how these things work! Haha
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    And make sure you get one from Amazon because they're $20 to $30 cheaper than most everywhere else.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Do you wear a chest strap with that one? I'm not sure how these things work! Haha

All Polars come with a chest strap.. which you want. Ones that don't have a chest strap are not accurate in the slightest.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    yes! I just ordered a ladies polar ft4 (it's pink and pretty cute LOL!) and it comes with a chest strap
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    And make sure you get one from Amazon because they're $20 to $30 cheaper than most everywhere else.

^^this!!!! that's where I ordered mine! paid WAY less then a friend that bought one somewhere else!
  • SerenaNatasha
    Options
    I just recently got the Polar FT7 and i love it so far! you're gonna love your HRM :)
  • lilcmac22
    lilcmac22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft40 and wear it as a watch and heart rate monitor. It uses a chest strap, but I do not realize I am wearing it when I work out. I suggest getting on google and do your homework before you get one. Some are better at counting calories than others. If you decide to go with a Polar, their site is great for telling you what is best hrm for your activity. Somewhere on the boards there is a link that compares the various ones out there, so do a search here as well. Hope it helps!
  • kimberly_grubbs
    kimberly_grubbs Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Polar FT60 loveeee it! I use it for all my workouts!
  • choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    polar ft4 is a great model...come w a chest strap, which will help accurately keep track of your calories burned. i've had two polar hrm and just bought my third on yesterday, they last about a 1 1/2 yrs depending on how much you use it. . www.bodytronics.com...they were running a coupon @ checkout enter code POPO for extra 5% offf free ship...the new one was less than $60! you will love it!
  • dimplez711
    Options
    I just picked up the Polar FT4 on Monday and it's made a huge difference in my calculations. Definitely worth the $90 I paid at REI. Personally I don't like online shopping, but I'm sure you could find it cheaper online if you're willing to pay shipping and wait for it in the mail. It took me less than 10 mins to get everything set up.

This model does come with a chest strap, which I forget I'm even wearing during workouts. The chest strap holds the transmitter, which is what tracks your heart rate. it then sends the information to your watch.

The amazing part for me was seeing the difference in calories burned. I did very similar workouts yesterday and today

30 Day Shred Level 1 (AM before work)
    45+ minutes at the gym (PM after work) this included 20 mins on the treadmill and 20-25 mins on a stationary bike

On Tuesday, I burned 992 calories total. Today, I burned 800 calories total. That's almost a 200 cal difference that I probably would have missed had I used the normal MFP calculations like I had been doing in the past. That's what prompted me to get the HRM in the first place, was that I wasn't seeing results although my calculations were saying I should have been.