Help with sodium pleeeeease

Options
I have very high blood pressure (everyone in my family does) and have had it since I was a young teenager. My doc says I need to be on a low sodium diet, no more than 12-1500 mg of sodium a day. But it is more difficult to avoid sodium than sugar! I go over my max every day, and I don't eat hardly anything that is pre packaged (no frozen meals, lunch meat, pop etc). I eat fresh foods but most protien sources I find have very high sodium. Even my fat free cottage cheese has almost 500 mg sodium. Any suggestions for how to avoid sodium without making all my food from scratch?

Replies

• JennaH
    JennaH Posts: 59
    Options
    I have very high blood pressure (everyone in my family does) and have had it since I was a young teenager. My doc says I need to be on a low sodium diet, no more than 12-1500 mg of sodium a day. But it is more difficult to avoid sodium than sugar! I go over my max every day, and I don't eat hardly anything that is pre packaged (no frozen meals, lunch meat, pop etc). I eat fresh foods but most protien sources I find have very high sodium. Even my fat free cottage cheese has almost 500 mg sodium. Any suggestions for how to avoid sodium without making all my food from scratch?
  • tiliquinones
    Options
    Go to this link...it has some good info that might help you out.
    www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284
  • MIDGEKIN
    MIDGEKIN Posts: 113
    Options
    I know its hard!! Do you like soup? There are some great low sodium soups from Campbells and Progresso that are YUMMY!! Also try shopping at stores like Trader Joes or Whole Foods most of them have aisles dedicated to low sodium foods!! Good Luck!