Anyone work out later? Need advice.

I work usually from 10:00 am - 7:00 pm. I normally get home around 7:30, so I leave for the gym at 8:00. My issue is what I should be eating after the workout. I am at the gym sometimes for 2 hours and I know it is bad to not eat after a workout, however they say it is bad to eat after 9:00 pm. I usually go to bed around 11:30. Anyone in a similar situation? I would appreciate tips and ideas :o) Thanks for taking the time to read!

Replies

• WinwillLose
    WinwillLose Posts: 101
    I tend to eat late as well because of my work / gym schedule. I try to stick to a very lean protein and veggies if I eat after 8 pm or just a fruit smoothie made w greek yogurt. Something to support the muscles you worked by not heavy carbs you body needs to burn. But i'm not an expert, I just know I get better results that way. :smile:
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    I personally see no problem with eat late. I often eat late. As long as I'm within my daily limits, I don't care what time it is.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    I know it is bad to not eat after a workout, however they say it is bad to eat after 9:00 pm

Neither is true.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    I work usually from 10:00 am - 7:00 pm. I normally get home around 7:30, so I leave for the gym at 8:00. My issue is what I should be eating after the workout. I am at the gym sometimes for 2 hours and I know it is bad to not eat after a workout, however they say it is bad to eat after 9:00 pm. I usually go to bed around 11:30. Anyone in a similar situation? I would appreciate tips and ideas :o) Thanks for taking the time to read!
    I eat 80% of my calories after I workout, just an hour before bed.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I know it is bad to not eat after a workout, however they say it is bad to eat after 9:00 pm

Neither is true.

Yup. Eat however feels most comfortable. Hit your daily calorie and nutrient targets. Don't stress about the timing.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    <--- Is not a morning person. Cannot get out of bed earlier than necessary to get ready for work. Works out at night. Eats whenever hungry or feeling in need of some food. Shed 133 pounds.

It really doesn't matter. A calorie burned at 9:00 p.m. is still a calorie burned.

Some people have a hard time sleeping if they exercise late, but I have had not a problem (in fact, I tend to sleep very well after a great workout)
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Personally as long as I do not eat too much, I am fine if I eat within an hour of going to bed. If I overeat, my tummy gets upset and it's hard for me to lie down and sleep.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    I tend to drink a protein shake (1 or 2 scoops depending on how intense my workout was) after my workouts, regardless of what time of the day it was.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member

Neither is true.

^^^This
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    somtimes i dont get to the gym until 11pm and dont get home until after midnight - i always have something afterward. sometimes just a protein shake, sometimes other snacky things. the time you eat has nothing to do with weight loss... the only time you need to really worry about eating close to bedtime is if you have acid reflux problems, or issues falling asleep on a full belly.
  • I work usually from 10:00 am - 7:00 pm. I normally get home around 7:30, so I leave for the gym at 8:00. My issue is what I should be eating after the workout. I am at the gym sometimes for 2 hours and I know it is bad to not eat after a workout, however they say it is bad to eat after 9:00 pm. I usually go to bed around 11:30. Anyone in a similar situation? I would appreciate tips and ideas :o) Thanks for taking the time to read!
    I eat 80% of my calories after I workout, just an hour before bed.

I tend to do the same because of my schedule and eating lite early in the day in case for some reason I have to stay late at work and can't make it to the gym lol
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Who's this "They" and how much success have *THEY* had with weight loss?

Honestly, there are so many "you should" statements, it makes your head spin. Do what you need to do. If you're hungry after a workout, then eat! If you're not, then don't.

BTW, what if you work the night shift and your "breakfast" is at 10pm each night? Should you not eat because "They" recommended you not do it?
  • sunshineshell81
    sunshineshell81 Posts: 34 Member
    Thanks so much for the info guys! I am glad to know that what I am doing is okay. So many people have been telling me that working out late does not burn as much working out in the morning. But I am SO not a morning person :o)
  • sativo8339
    sativo8339 Posts: 39 Member
    I am definitely in the same situation as you. I have found through trial and error that eating some carbs before you go and sticking to proteins after works best for me. The proteins will help your body recover through the night. Avoid fats and sodium before sleep though, I sleep very poorly and feel like I am hungover the next day if I eat a big fatty salty meal afterwards.. yuck
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Thanks so much for the info guys! I am glad to know that what I am doing is okay. So many people have been telling me that working out late does not burn as much working out in the morning. But I am SO not a morning person :o)

This is only true if you are sleepy and tired working out.

For me, working out in the morning burns fewer calories because I'm sleepy and tired and there's no spring in my step :D
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Simply have a meal replacement shake that has enough protein in it to get you body over the hump. That way you wont bee so full and uncomfortable you cant sleep. Just use a good brand like Ideal Shape or Shakology.
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member

Yup. Eat however feels most comfortable. Hit your daily calorie and nutrient targets. Don't stress about the timing.

That's what I do! I also don't get home til 7:30pm and hit the gym after 8pm... I don't mind eating/snacking before bed if I'm hungry, and try to choose smaller things like a multi-grain Thomas english muffin w/ Smart Balance spread (or w/ an egg if I'm craving protein) or cereal. Sometimes I'll just drink tea before bed if I want something but am not hungry.

Good luck finding what works for you!!
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    I don't think it matters what time it is either, as long as ur within ur calories limits, I workout alot later too, it's 9pm and I'm getting ready to workout, I had a ribeye 30 min ago..........
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    the idea if not eating after 8 comes from most people going to bed around 10 (leaving you 2 hours to digest)
  • allynady
    allynady Posts: 59 Member
    I am not a morning person so I I work out from 9-10pm, I also eat a snack afterwards(usually yogurt or cereal)