Water... That is the question...

Options
I always drink water while I'm working out. Especially if I am doing cardio. Sometimes I can go through a whole bottle.

I was recently told that I should only takes small sips just to quench my thirst while I work out...

Hrrmm... does anyone know why/if one way is better?

Replies

• thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think it's personal preference. I know that I can't drink a ton of water while working out because it upsets my stomach. But there's nothing wrong with drinking a ton of it during your workout! In fact, it's a good thing! I hear some people drink watered down orange juice while working out.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I always drink water while I'm working out. Especially if I am doing cardio. Sometimes I can go through a whole bottle.

I was recently told that I should only takes small sips just to quench my thirst while I work out...

Hrrmm... does anyone know why/if one way is better?
    Drink as much as you need! The main reason people recommend small sips is to prevent upsetting the stomach. One other thing to note is that if you are sweating a lot (e.g. Insanity), pure water won't adequately rehydrate you due to lack of electrolytes. Hammer nutrition has some awesome electrolyte products, or you can make your own electrolyte drink, or go with something like coconut water. For most moderate intensity exercise, water is fine.
  • methodless
    Options
    I have read that when you are under a large degree of physical stress, your kidneys are unable to process as much water as normal, however, you do sweat - and you will eventually stop working out. The level of dehydration that would need to occur for you to have too much is likely not an issue for anybody on this site (although I could be mistaken about that).

While working out, your level of thirst is truly the best indicator of how much water you need.