NSV Scuba

Options
Completed first pool dive in scuba lessons tonight. I could swim the 200 yards required, and I am NOT a swimmer. And I pushed through to do the stuff I had to do. This was shallow dive and Sunday will be deep pool dive, but I'm proud to have done it when I'm not a swimmer, not much of an athlete, and scared to death of it. Yay! I hope I end up liking it!

Replies

• shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    When u take ur 1st dive in the sea, I'm pretty confident about one thing - You will :heart: it.

:drinker: Cheers to getting ur diver's license soon!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks, and I hope so!:wink:
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Scuba is the most rewarding thing you can do for yourself. Once you get comfortable with your bouancy control and ability to handle issues that may arise, you'll find that being immersed in the underwater world to be truely amazing and gratifying. Dive often and dive safe.
  • Jupitermermaid
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you as I'm 80' under water, pointing out sharks, Goliath Grouper, morey eels, turtles, etc. It's so much more fun once you're in the ocean diving and not in the silly pool doing skills. You're going to be a good diver......I just know it!!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you as I'm 80' under water, pointing out sharks, Goliath Grouper, morey eels, turtles, etc. It's so much more fun once you're in the ocean diving and not in the silly pool doing skills. You're going to be a good diver......I just know it!!

Thanks for the encouragement! I needed it! I'd love to see pretty fish on our ocean dives. That's what I really want out of the experience!

I saw your exercise log for 180 minutes of scuba. How did you calculate the calories on that?
  • BrownEyedJerseyGirl
    BrownEyedJerseyGirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to learn to SCUBA. I promised myself that if I get to the 30 pounds gone mark that will be how I reward myself. I'm just worried I will go through all the expense and not pass certification. Is it difficult?
  • katzblood
    katzblood Posts: 41
    Options
    It isnt difficult but it does take practice to do it safely. I had fun until I kept having nightmares about drowning in lake superior :ohwell:
  • Ruthaw1961
    Ruthaw1961 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Nothing better than diving...Graceful, quiet with the only sound being your breathing and bubbles.

I saw you asked about how to calculate calories burned diving. I do not have an answer for that specifically but will say that after a week at an all-inclusive resort, eating and drinking for 7 days and diving everyday, I came back with only a 2 lb weight gain. And that was water retention as it was gone in 3 days. I did "watch" what I ate but all those Rum Runners, BBCs and wine add up!
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your NSV! I remember my certification course being pretty tough at times, but so rewarding. I've never met anyone that managed to try diving and not fall completely in love with it. Good luck with your certification, and enjoy diving safely!
  • Jupitermermaid
    Options

Thanks for the encouragement! I needed it! I'd love to see pretty fish on our ocean dives. That's what I really want out of the experience!

I saw your exercise log for 180 minutes of scuba. How did you calculate the calories on that?

MFP figured it out for me. I just plugged in how many minutes of scuba I did, and MFP calculated the caloric burn. What a delightful way to burn calories!!! Once you get comfortable with your diving, come down here to Florida and dive with me! I'll be your personal dive guide in our magnificent ocean! <3
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I found Scuba to be a life-changing experience. I was hooked after the first ocean dive. If I could afford it I would dive every weekend! Mastering the discipline of diving gave me the confidence to take up a lot of other challenges too.

Let us know how it goes.
  • Icedancer94
    Icedancer94 Posts: 108
    Options
    Hope you get on well! I'm sure you'll love it- i know I do!