Less than 1200 - Before exercise

Options
Hi all,

I am new to this forum (just today actually) turned to it by a colleague of mine. My question is that I have intake of less than 1200 calories before I take out calories for exercise. However, I am usually never hungry. Everywhere I look I see that I should have a calorie intake of 1800 - 2400. That is just too much food, even if it is well balanced.

Is there a downside to having a calorie intake too small? I do not feel dizzy, rundown or hungry most days and my doctor is monitoring my weight loss. I just don't see how I can eat more, yet continue to lose weight.

Thanks for your input.
R

Replies

• LoveDollie
    Options
    Hi all,

I am new to this forum (just today actually) turned to it by a colleague of mine. My question is that I have intake of less than 1200 calories before I take out calories for exercise. However, I am usually never hungry. Everywhere I look I see that I should have a calorie intake of 1800 - 2400. That is just too much food, even if it is well balanced.

Is there a downside to having a calorie intake too small? I do not feel dizzy, rundown or hungry most days and my doctor is monitoring my weight loss. I just don't see how I can eat more, yet continue to lose weight.

Thanks for your input.
    R
  • katrana
    katrana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If an MD is monitoring you, I would go by what he/she says.

good luck!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Did your dr. give you a nutrition plan of that few calories or is that something you decided on your own?
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for your input.
    R
    I would do what my doctor says .
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Downside is your body thinking that you are starving it and than it will stop burning fat and start storing it instead.

I find as soon as I start eating breakfast it really kick starts me, I can barely wait for lunch to come around and I bring a couple healthy snacks to munch on inbetween meals. Keep eating the same way you were eating, just subtract all the unhealthy items and substitute with a healthier choice.
    for example, I go to Wendy's once a week with my co-workers and I used to get chicken fingers & french fries with Ice Tea and dipping sauce, etc.
    Now I get the grilled chicken wrap with no sauce (sauce on the side so I can add it myself and control the amount being put on), a side salad with light dressing and a Fresca (zero cal)
    You just need to train your brain to pick the healthier options and watch the portion sizes, if each meal is about 300 cals, have a couple snacks between meals that make up the other 300. Snack I like to have are: multigrain crackers w/ cheese, yogurt, Smart popcorn (100 cal bag), nutrigrain bar, fresh fruit, granola bar (just watch the fat & sugar content).
    Somedays you'll feel like you are always eating, but once that metabolism starts up it'll be a lot easier.
    After a workout, if you are looking to fill up those cals burned, take a whey protein shake - about 100-120 cal per shake when made with water, if you use milk it'll be even more, and I like to add strawberries & banana for flavour, so there's a few more.
  • LoveDollie
    Options
    It is what I am left with after cutting out all the garbage I used to eat. I have recently switched jobs which cut down on a ton of stress and stress eating. I also used to eat golden arches chicken every day for lunch (but cut out), which cut out 400 cal. My doctor did not suggest anything except lose weight (due to BP being too high). I have scoured the internet about various 'diets,' yet none fit my need. I started utilizing Zone as meal replacements as they had higher vitamin content and my colleague's doctor suggested them and I am always on the go now. Going with one for breakfast and lunch (200 each) and 2 snacks (100 - 150 each) and then a full dinner (300 - 400 cal) that is just where I am at; less than 1200.

R
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You said this was before exercise...are you exercising now? If not, I think once you start, you'll realize that this amount of cal. won't do for you anymore! If I go below 1200 on my workout days, I start getting dizzy and weak feeling. Maybe it's good for now cause your not exercising, but when you start, I would increase it. I think your body will automatically crave more food anyways and you'll be hungry. Good luck on your journey!:happy:
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Meal replacements are OK, but your body needs the real deal too, not just liquid. That why they say to eat protein, cause not only does it help the growth of lean muscle (which burns fat) but it is also harder to digest and makes your body work that much harder (metabolism). If your body is never breaking down real food it's not going to work at all.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    The only time your caloric intake should drop below 1200 calories a day is if you are being strictly monitored by a doctor, otherwise the absolute minimum is 1200. That doesn't mean it has to be at 1800. The recommended calories is based on your body size and activity level. You will probaby see an increase in weight loss even if you only increase your calories to 1500. If you don't feel like you can eat much more volume, I would suggest packing a couple of servings of unsalted nuts or dried fruit to eat through the day to increase your calories but still be convenient. Good Luck!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for your input.
    R
    My doc had me in 1000 calories ..I say as long as its monitored go with it but if you feel louzy for any reason contact your Doc..be sure those calories are all providing you the most nutrition...After reading your post again I am getting the impression your Doc didnt put you on under 1200 calories per day ..and that you did this yourself? If this is the case you need to be at 1200 definatley. You can lose weigh eating 1200-1500 caories as long as you excercise. what i get from your post is that you put urself at under 1200 calories and your Doc was monitoring your weight loss not neccessarily how you were achieving it..I think you should talk more in depth with your physician if this is the case and get a structured plan from him or her and let them monitor fully not just the portions you wish to disclose to them.....if my perception of your post is wrong..im sorry and I wish you luck in this journey
  • LoveDollie
    Options
    Thanks all!
    R