Strength Training for bad knees??

Options
2»

Replies

• swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Romanian Dead Lifts, you use a locked knee with these, they work the gluts, and some quads.

RDL's are done with slightly bent-knees, not locked
    Other than that, find a leg extension machine for the quads if you don't want down pressure on them, the leg extension machine is the best way to do it.

Leg extensions are TERRIBLE for your knees.
    +1 on the leg extensions they tear the knee apart really bad

Agree with this.

1. Don't lock your knees, but do try RDLs. They also work my hamstrings pretty well.

2. IMO, avoid all the leg machines. They are far worse on my bad knees than squats and lunges.

Also, it sounds like we have similar kneed problems. I cannot do static lunges, but I've found that walking lunges are a bit easier on me.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    My right knee sometimes pops when I bend. I was afraid this would worsen when I started lifting weights. It didn't. In fact, it never pops anymore. I have chronic right shoulder/arm tension that is also going away as I continue to lift weights.

My advice is to strength train... see if it goes away. I've even encouraged my husband who once hurt his lower back doing deadlifts to try them again... I believe if he corrects his form and does them the right way his pain will also clear up. He hasn't completely been sold on this idea yet.
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm rehabbing a torn meniscus currently. My PT has me focusing on strengthening my hip abductor/adductor muscles, hamstrings, and quads. I also do an active nerve glide whenever I remember it. For cardio, I've found the ARC trainer to be best when I need to baby my knee. I see a lot of people on here recommend the elliptical for bad knees, but for me it's probably the worst machine I could use!
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I have a knee brace. (you can get them at Walmart or drug store). I am also doing the 30DS/ level 2. It feels so much better with the support. :) Nothing is going to stop me now.. :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Correctly done squats can be easy on the knee. I have really bad patellofemoral arthritis with some bone-bone. Regular squats are a nightmare... properly done, they feel just fine, no problem.

Of course, there's also cycling. A properly fit bicycle is very easy on the knees.
  • marylouise123
    marylouise123 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.. I have a bad knee & I am going to look for that Strong Knee's DVD on Amazon. I right now do Leslie Sansone walk Fit program, but would love to try something new.. Thanks again..
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Cycling.

OK, it's not strength training, exactly, but it's excellent for building up the muscles that support the knee and for improving range of motion. At least, this is what I was told by a physical therapist when recovering from a badly torn MCL.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    I guess my first question for the OP is do you have an actual diagnosis of what it wrong? Knowing that can make a lot of difference. Also, it would answer the question that sits in the back of my head of whether the problem is worn cartilage in the knee, a muscle imbalance, or something else. Making suggestions without knowing things like that . . . well I would want to know more. Also if you get a work-up on your knee by a orthopaedic doctor, especially one that specializes in sports injuries, he can refer you to a physio-therapist who might be able to help you get past this.
  • MLA5FL
    MLA5FL Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bad knees here too, definitely going to add the Romanian Dead Lifts this week - bump :)
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    For long-term solution, I'd strongly recommend you see a physio (physical therapist) in your area.

It sounds like classic patellofemoral syndrome (PFS) - its "easily" treated with specific strengthening exercises for the medial part of your quads to help re-align the knee cap. And even if there's underlying issues along with that, the physio can help you at least improve the pain aspect.

From personal experience and as a physio, I can't emphasize enough how much better off you'll be if you can invest a bit of time and money into fixing the source of the problem, rather than resorting to knee braces / avoiding exercises - its only serving to mask the problem.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have had two ACL replacements in the same knee. After telling me the knee "will never be normal", and it isn't....my surgeon suggested putting the stability ball against the wall, leaning up against it with the small of my back and doing squats like this because it is much easier on the joint.

Saw this in another post and have been doing these at home--good ones! I've had 3 knee surgeries due to major damage when I was 18 and regular squats and lunges are hard for me; I can do them, even with weights, but just go down as far as I can without pain. Against the wall with the ball behind my back works good, once I experiemented and found to put my feet farther away from my body. At the bottom I can get a full 90% bend, so it looks like I am sitting in a chair with my lower legs straight down.
  • donna9089
    donna9089 Posts: 87
    Options
    Glad this is working for you Gwen. It was scary for me in the beginning because I could not hold on to anything, but now it is second nature even with weights in my hands.