Slim Fast

Options
I'm thinking about switching out my dinner with a slim fast drink. I just don't know if it's worth it or not, I don't want to do anything that will back fire or isn't healthy. Opinions?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It's a meal replacement, so all it is doing is helping to create a calorie deficit, which real food can do too. I personally would rather eat food than drink a shake. The food will have more nutrients, keep you satiated, and not be loaded with sugar and other questionable ingredients. It is easier (in my opinion) to lose weight and keep it off if you learn how to eat properly rather than looking for band-aid fixes. If you do replace a meal with a shake, you won't be doing that forever, so at some point you'll need to learn how to eat real food in reasonable portion sizes.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't do slim fast - those shakes are full of stuff you don't need. I do shakes as a meal replacement but make my own - you can make some pretty good ones. I use 100 whey protein, frozen fruit, skim milk, and I always add fiber. You will get more out of the protein shake and you can add the fruit and even spinich to get more nutrients. There are recipies in the recipie thread if you need some - just search protein shakes. Or you can go to jayrobb.com - he has a good protein supplement and has a lot of good recipies.
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    Deffinately not. Fake sugars and crap-filled meal replacements will only cause you grief, trust me ive been there done that and it never ends well.

If you are looking for a meal that is healthy and feels like diet food, but tastes great here is what i have for breakfast.(im not vegan or vegitarian but the Vega is great, gluten free, dairy free, soy free and free of artificial sugars) I have done alot of research into a protein mix that is soy free, as I am not at all interested in consuming soy, gluten free is an added benifit. I have a sensitive tummy and this stuff actually has made things better in that area.

in a blender:

1 scoop Vega Whole food berry powder (google this stuff its really really amazing)
    1/2 cup milk or milk substitue( almond milk, yogurt whatever you like) no im not going to reccomend soy milk, not ever.
    1/2 to 1 cup of water ow however much you like
    1/2 cup to 1 cup frozen blueberries(or any berry really)
    1/2 cup frozen manogo (or peaches, bannana chuncks or unsweetened pineapple whatever fruit you like)

the key is to have the fruit frozen, it makes a thicker smoothie and it almost tastes like a milkshake.

I will be honest the first time i tried Vega I didnt quite like it (I tried 2 scoops), but I know that somethings are an aquired taste, so I played around with the combo untill I liked it, now I love having it for breakfast or lunch its a whole food and super duper healthy for you. Literally just finished one a minute ago.

feel free to message or friend me if you want more info or want to chat, I love sharing tips and reccomendations with MFP friends.
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    I've tried those shakes in the morning when I didn't have my breakfast and it kept me full for all of 30 min. I wouldn't do it.
  • sbeisel1
    Options
    I've tried those shakes in the morning when I didn't have my breakfast and it kept me full for all of 30 min. I wouldn't do it.

this!!

I also got headaches and digestive unrest not to mention the lovely yo-yo effect... gained it all back plus. Ive been watching my coworker, go on and on about her slimfast plan, she has it every morning, Ive also watched her weight go up and up and up, yes I have talked to her and im being supportive in helping her choose a heathier path as best I can, she asks for advice but she isnt ready to listen yet. I think she is addicted to the idea of slimfast.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I refuse to drink my meals. I seen everyone who does it gain all the weight back and more. I think it's healthier to educate yourself of healthy eating and portion control. :drinker:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm using the chocolate shake to satisfy my cravings instead of eating loads of chocolate through the day. You can also have three 100 cal snacks with them, so can have something to eat too like an apple, small banana, carrot sticks or a ryvita etc.

It's helped me control how much sweet stuff I get through PMT week when cravings are high and managing to stick to just the 2 shakes as far as chocolate is concerned. I don't eat first thing anyway and easier to work though lunch with a shake and some carrot sticks to munch on, so its working so far for me personally.

I only have 5lb to go and also incorporate a few spike days in to the week so my body doesn't get used to them. Usually Wed and Sun are my spike days.

I'm trying another supplement though when it arrives that meant to control estrogen and cortisol levels so cravings aren't as severe and something in so you don't feel as hungry (starts with G but can't remember full name) as I'm going through peri-menopause and my hormones and cycles are all over the place!.. hopefully then I can go back to sticking to smaller amounts of food.. regardless of how many periods a month I am getting! :sad:
  • sbeisel1
    Options
    I refuse to drink my meals. I seen everyone who does it gain all the weight back and more. I think it's healthier to educate yourself of healthy eating and portion control. :drinker:

I agree with this in regards to diet shakes designed to promote fast-fake weight loss, but for some including myself, a smoothie filled with fruit and healthy greens is a great on the go breakfast option, I dont like breakfast but its paramount in a healthy lifestyle, having a smoothie also ensures that I have my breakfast within the hour of waking which is important in regards to keeping the body from entering starvaion mode.

I totally agree with self educating in regards to healthy eating, I put a lot of research into finding a supplement that is both healthy and natural. :happy: :smile:
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, i mostly want it for when my family is eating unhealthy stuff i cant have. (im the only one dieting/losing weight) so its more like something to have when i dont want to give in to temptation. they are supportive, but i cant expect them to change just because i am. i really appreciate all the shake ideas, i may even try a few :)
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I tried it and ended up feeling so hungry I'd eat 3 or 4 bars and have 4 shakes a day plus my meal, so ended up gaining.
    Nothing like real food to keep you going and keep hunger at bay!
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I cook a big meal for myself and have it on hand. That way if the family has having something less healthy, I can grab my meal out of the fridge, heat and enjoy. I do this with veggie soup, fajitas, stirfry, chili, and chicken I've cooked and put away for salads.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It's a meal replacement, so all it is doing is helping to create a calorie deficit, which real food can do too.

^This

mmmm real food :love:
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about switching out my dinner with a slim fast drink. I just don't know if it's worth it or not, I don't want to do anything that will back fire or isn't healthy. Opinions?

For me personally, I would rather eat my meal than drink it. Usually liquid calories will make you hungry soon after you drink it. For example, for a snack I used to drink a myoplex protein shake..I would finish the shake within 5-10 minutes and be hungry again in the next 20-30 minutes. You are better off sticking to real food than a slim fast drink.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I tried Slim Fast for a little while (usually at lunch) It was OK, but has a lot of sugar. EAS Carb control advantage has a lot less sugar.
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dida0721
    dida0721 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I switch between oatmeal and plain label ultra slim fast shakes for breakfast. The shakes keep me fuller than the oatmeal. They are a quick on the go option for me since I don't really like morning so making a homemade shake is totally out of the question for me. I like that they have good fiber and decent protein. I don't think I could use it to replace supper though. I like the comfort of eating a meal after a crappy day at work.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    16slimfastfacts.jpg

If you want to replace a meal with something, should be something high in protein which can fill you up - the carb to protein ratio in a slim fast does not make it worth it.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Because slim fast is so sweet it makes me crave more over time. I use to drink it in the morning but it ended up just being a shake w/ my breakfast sandwich. The best thing to do to stay full in the evening is a high protein high nutrient dinner. Like grilled chicken and spinach/grilled fish/turkey burger . . . something that is high in protein will sustain and keep you full longer.
  • ericat18
    ericat18 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, i mostly want it for when my family is eating unhealthy stuff i cant have. (im the only one dieting/losing weight) so its more like something to have when i dont want to give in to temptation. they are supportive, but i cant expect them to change just because i am. i really appreciate all the shake ideas, i may even try a few :)

What kind of things are the rest of the family eating that you can't have? I think it's important to teach your children healthy eating habits while they are young so it shouldn't hurt them to eat like you are. I cook one meal and we all eat the same thing. The kids drink 2% milk and may have a larger portion than me to ensure they get enough calories, but it's teaching them to eat lots of vegetables, fruit, lean proteins, and legumes so hopefully they won't have weight problems later.
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options

What kind of things are the rest of the family eating that you can't have? I think it's important to teach your children healthy eating habits while they are young so it shouldn't hurt them to eat like you are. I cook one meal and we all eat the same thing. The kids drink 2% milk and may have a larger portion than me to ensure they get enough calories, but it's teaching them to eat lots of vegetables, fruit, lean proteins, and legumes so hopefully they won't have weight problems later.

just normal stuff that i try not to have often. like pizza, pasta, french fries...etc. but none of them are overweight! i dont get it, ive eaten the same as them yet im the only one whos gained :explode: but now i cook once a week, and of course its healthy lol, and ive managed to switch them over from white rice to whole grain rice, and white bread to honey wheat bread. so there is some change. im a college student so im strapped for cash a lot and dont have much extra money to spend on groceries, which is part of the reason i was considering slim fast. and trust me, my mom, younger brother and sister hear all the time about healthy eating habits! haha