Running: Treadmill vs Outside

Options
gtwin
gtwin Posts: 290 Member
Why is it I can run non-stop on a treadmill for an hour straight, but put me outside and I find myself stopping at least 2-3x to walk on a 4 mile run? Is it a mental thing??

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Same pace??
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    I'm no expert, but a friend/PT told me that the treadmill does not require as many muscles to be engaged in the "take-off" from the back foot to the front foot especially when running on no incline on the treadmill because the ground is moving underneath you rather than you propelling yourself across the ground outisde. that being said, i much prefer running on a treadmill to running outside... :wink: wind is my enemy!!
  • millikenhomeschool
    Options
    I find that I cannot run on the treadmill without holding on. Why is that?
  • gtwin
    Options
    I actually run at a faster pace when I'm on the treadmill...I've noticed it takes me less time to run 4.5 miles on the treadmill than it does when I run outside.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Your using different muscles and probably longer strides outdoors. Same thing happened to me.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, I find running on the treadmill tough (I usually save it for interval training), whereas get me outside and I'll happily run for an hour. Scott091501 may be right in asking about your pace. When you're on a treadmill you generally have a set pace unless you alter the speed. Outside it's harder to pace yourself. I use a sports watch with a HRM, and it tells me what pace I'm doing. Most people when they begin running make the mistake of starting to fast and then can't sustain the pace. Start a bit slower and see how you go.

Sorry just read that you run faster on the treadmill. In that case you have to factor in that you will be running on uneven surfaces with climate factors such as wind etc to contend with. Plus the ground beneth you isn't moving!
  • gtwin
    Options

It should get better the more you do it. I tend to still veer off to the side sometimes myself, kind of embarrassing. Lol
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Why is it I can run non-stop on a treadmill for an hour straight, but put me outside and I find myself stopping at least 2-3x to walk on a 4 mile run? Is it a mental thing??

I have done the same, it is a bit different running outside to running on the treadmill, that's for sure.

The more you run outside, the more you will be able to run without those stops.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but a friend/PT told me that the treadmill does not require as many muscles to be engaged in the "take-off" from the back foot to the front foot especially when running on no incline on the treadmill because the ground is moving underneath you rather than you propelling yourself across the ground outisde.

Two friends ( a track runner in high school and a doctor/marathon runner) said pretty much the same thing. You use fewer muscles when you run on the treadmill, which is why it's easier. The treadmill is still good for cardio, but if you're using it as your sole means of training for a run, it's not going to be pretty...
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm not coordinated enough to run on a treadmill, I can only run outside or on a track :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Most likely because it is unnatural to run on the something like the treadmill.

Start by just walking slowly on it without holding on, then increase the speed bit by bit until you have to hold on. Then the next session, start off faster, you will find you will get used to it in the end, sooner than you think. Before you know it you will be running without holding on.
  • freaksfitness
    Options
    Wind, Hills and No inertia. I have ran on both while training for Half Mary. Now it is shorter but way faster runs for me.
  • gtwin
    Options
    I'm the opposite, I find running on the treadmill tough (I usually save it for interval training), whereas get me outside and I'll happily run for an hour. Scott091501 may be right in asking about your pace. When you're on a treadmill you generally have a set pace unless you alter the speed. Outside it's harder to pace yourself. I use a sports watch with a HRM, and it tells me what pace I'm doing. Most people when they begin running make the mistake of starting to fast and then can't sustain the pace. Start a bit slower and see how you go.

Sorry just read that you run faster on the treadmill. In that case you have to factor in that you will be running on uneven surfaces with climate factors such as wind etc to contend with. Plus the ground beneth you isn't moving!

This sounds about right....thanks for your reply!
  • bagelwagon
    bagelwagon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    More often that not, I can run fast and longer on the ground than I can on the treadmill. The treadmill is far too boring.
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    More often that not, I can run fast and longer on the ground than I can on the treadmill. The treadmill is far too boring.

Not sure about faster but I definitely agree the "Dreadmill" is boring & I constantly stare at the digital display which is what I hate. I love running outside because nothing is better than fresh air :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I run way better outside than the treadmill. I ran a 10k at 7mph and a 5k at 7.5 mph. I can't run more than three minutes at that pace on a treadmill.

For me, the lack of airflow inside just kills me. At least outside, I'm creating my own 7-7.5mph breeze!
  • jdavila73
    jdavila73 Posts: 22
    Options
    I run way better outside than the treadmill. I ran a 10k at 7mph and a 5k at 7.5 mph. I can't run more than three minutes at that pace on a treadmill.

For me, the lack of airflow inside just kills me. At least outside, I'm creating my own 7-7.5mph breeze!

^^^^^^^ THIS....ME TOO GIRL
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely get a HRM and compare your data from running outside to inside.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I'm not coordinated enough to run on a treadmill, I can only run outside or on a track :)

me too! I hate treadmills
  • momotivation
    momotivation Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I find that my stride is very different on the treadmill compared to outside. I like the comfort of being indoors but running is more difficult step wise for me on the treadmill, running outside is more difficult in general, colder air, temp, wind, rain, snow , sleet....and its just harder.