healthy baking substitutions

Options
I heard you can use applesauce as a healthy substitute in baking, but how much of it do you use, and for what ingredients? Any other healthy substitutions for baking welcome too (I think I've heard of prune puree, for example)

Replies

• kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I heard you can use applesauce as a healthy substitute in baking, but how much of it do you use, and for what ingredients? Any other healthy substitutions for baking welcome too (I think I've heard of prune puree, for example)
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Sub applesauce cup for cup for oil like in cake mixes.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    You can use applesauce in place of fat in baking. Use the same amount of applesauce as was called for fat. If the recipe calls for 1/4 cup fat, then you need to use 1/4 cup applesauce. Decrease the sweetener a bit because the applesauce will give some sweetness (of course use the unsweetened applesauce).
  • erica9699
    erica9699 Posts: 53
    Options
    Canned pumpkin can be used as well
  • witty_brittney
    Options
    I just found a recipe online this weekend for Black Bean Brownies.

1 Can of Black beans
    1 Pkg of Brownies

Puree the black beans with some water add to the mix and bake. Do not add egg or oil. They were soo good and fudgy. :) My family could not even tell that I had beans in them.
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've heard of those black bean brownies, but do you know what size can black beans and size brownie mix to use?
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com has a recipe called surprise fudge that is made with Pinto beans--it is delicious and not sickly sweet!123504.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options

This is a great website I found and have been using

http://homecooking.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=homecooking&zu=http://globalgourmet.com/food/egg/egg0196/lightsub.html
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    anything chocolate, such as cakes or brownies, substitute whatever oil called for, for pureed prunes ..the baby food kind are best, no hassle. You can also substitute, egg whites for whole eggs, doubling the number, ie:1 whole egg, equals 2 egg whites. I've also used applesauce or plain vanilla yogurt in banana bread to replace all of the butter called for.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You guys are so awesome! Thanks for the pointers.:flowerforyou: