Please talk sense into me

Options
Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
My parents are over for the weekend and while they're thrilled at my weight loss they keep giving advice. I've tried telling them I can't spot reduce. (you should do sit ups to reduce your belly!) the worst part is I HATE my belly and thighs and want them gone so I'm half listening to them.

I'm doing NRoLFW (almost halfway through first set) and week 4 of C25K. I'm doing he right things but I'm seriously debating starting sit ups (which I hate) to try and lose the belly and thigh fat!

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Sit-ups aren't going to be what gets you to lose belly fat. You need to continue to burn calories through cardio, then work on defining the muscles through ab workouts. For the thighs, again, you'll need to burn the calories (burn the fat) and then work on different leg moves to define and shape your quads, hamstrings, glutes, etc.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    In one ear and out the other. Nod and play nice.

Enjoy your parents visit and when they bring it up, nod and change the subject.
  • Lozze
    Options
    The irony is my thighs are banging right now. Very muscly and shaped. Couldn't be happier at this point in time. Thighs are just pools of fat.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    lol tell them ur gonna do it ur way n they can do 10000000 sit ups.. n then compare results in 3 months...

like the obave poster said... nod, say "yes, yes, yes" n forget that conversation ever happened!

ive had alot of diff ppl give me advice some of which havent been in the gym a day in their life yet they know EEEVERYTHING about working out... n i very quickly realized that there is no point in arguing.. i give my perspective once if they cut me off n start feeding me what they know i just say "k"
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You are right that you can't spot reduce fat. But you can tighten and tone the muscles underneath, which will help your belly look slimmer! After having six kids, I thought my belly would never look flat again, but lifting weights and doing abs exercises is helping a great deal. Planks are awesome!
  • JennStarr86
    JennStarr86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here's some good sense: You are right, you can't reduce weight in one area with a specific exercise. You can only build muscle there by toning. The most important thing though, is that if you try to make yourself do exercise that you hate, you will stop doing it, which will defeat the whole purpose! Keep doing what you're doing, and find another exercise to tone your middle. A good source I have found for toning exercises is the PDF files on the Women's Health magazine website. Lots of different options and good solid advice on there. Good luck! :)
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Let them know just how much a personal trainer would be able to help you target specific areas to work on and you'd be happy to go if they want to pay for it. That will either get you a change of subject or money for a trainer!! Win-win.
  • Jenny_MSW
    Jenny_MSW Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    yeah spot reduction is a myth... you can work to change the shape of the muscles underneath so that when your fat% goes down you have a better shape, working a muscle does not directly affect the fat cells around it. Unfortunately you never know where the last place on your body will be that holds onto your weight, depends on your jeans. For me it's my legs (ugh!) but for some women it is their bellies
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't done NROWL, but seeing the results of friends who have... there's enough ab work in it that situps would be pointless.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I much prefer doing the plank and Russian twists for my abs.

But on another note I do feel for you, my Dad is the same, he preaches stuff he doesn't practice, he has what I would consider the worst diet ever, half a grapefruit and a hard boiled egg at 8am, nothing all day then at about 3pm he starts making tea which is usually a piece of red meat three times the normal size and chips, that's it most days. He's lost weight as he's eating less but it's just a horrible diet yet he goes on at me, each time I remind him that I'm fit and active, I eat a lot of fresh fruit and veg and just because some weird diet has made him lost weight doesn't make him healthy.

Over the years I have just learned to glaze over whenever he goes on just to avoid an argument. Just tell them that you are working on it and things don't just happen overnight.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Wow parents right., So I have the same issue with my parents when it comes to every subject under the sun. they know everything. I used to argue so much with them, till I got blue in the face. I have come to realize I can not change them. If they have gotten on my last nerve and I feel I am gonna explode I will change the subject, if I can, or say I don't want to talk about it no more. They may get upset, but you have to put your foot down. Your parents love you and I hope want the best for you. unintentionally they do not realize that they are imposing their opinions and maybe being less supportive. Well at Least in my situation. I am pf the belief that people need to do their own thing. But most people do not know how to accept that.
    Enjoy their visit, and try not to talk about it with them if you can. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    You actually get more "core" strength from heavy squats, deadlifts, bent over rows and other compound exercises than from doing situps alone.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wocko6092
    wocko6092 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    well every one here has good advice and yeah spot reduction is a myth. stick to cardio where the weight will go and at the end of the day your gentics decide where you lose your weight from your body first and and if your keep at it your body will eventually get around to the areas you want rid off. more importatly find a cardio you enjoy doing and when it comes to your parents smile at them, play nice have a good time.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Parents suck. Mine told me "You don't have the build to be thin and athletic." Thanks Mom.

Anyway yes spot reduction is a myth. Yes the areas you want to see the fat gone from the most will probably be the last to go. The cosmos is f'ed like that. But I would advise you to work on your abs. Once you peel back the layers you want a nice set of abs under there to show off.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Do you parents happen to be international trainer's to the stars or have advanced degrees in nutrition or exercise???

If not, listen to the people who wrote the exercise programs you are following.

FWIW, if you want to do situps - do them. It isn't going to hurt anything.
  • Lozze
    Options
    Parents suck. Mine told me "You don't have the build to be thin and athletic." Thanks Mom.

Anyway yes spot reduction is a myth. Yes the areas you want to see the fat gone from the most will probably be the last to go. The cosmos is f'ed like that. But I would advise you to work on your abs. Once you peel back the layers you want a nice set of abs under there to show off.

Sadly I think I'll have too much xs skin when I get to goal to worry about that!

I'm doing the nod and smile but my head is starting to doubt, hence 'please talk sense into me'. My mum fried when she saw me and commented tonight that my face looks like I'm 18 again :-)
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

Sadly I think I'll have too much xs skin when I get to goal to worry about that!

I'm doing the nod and smile but my head is starting to doubt, hence 'please talk sense into me'. My mum fried when she saw me and commented tonight that my face looks like I'm 18 again :-)

Maybe, maybe not. You're young enought that as long as you don't lose it all very rapidly Biggest Loser style your skin should be able to handle a lot of it. My parents don't get my obsession with triathlons. They continually make off handed comments about how much I train or that I need to eat. You're not alone there.
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Babe you know what's what and if the oldies corner you and push push back lay the facts out for em cause love em though you do their info is obviously seriously dated, give em your copy of nrwo4w to read. You've got a great program that's working wonders for you, so ignore best you can and come back here when you need a common sense and practical applications reminder.
    And at the end of the day you know your patents love you cause they're still tryig to guide you and try only do that cause they care.
    Mine do the same and seriously it took over 6 months of eye rolling and oh god mum look it up I'm right. (: she still asks what my secret is and I still tell her mfp and energy in = energy out & cleaner eating