not eating after 5pm

Options
Ok so firstly, Hi! i'm new!!!! hello people,

now that i've done that, I heard years ago that if you don't eat after 5pm you loose loads of weight because the food has a chance to broken down properly before you go to bed (or something similar like that) can anyone give me more in?formation?? My aunt swears by it.

Lots of Love

S xxxx

Replies

• zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Ok so firstly, Hi! i'm new!!!! hello people,

now that i've done that, I heard years ago that if you don't eat after 5pm you loose loads of weight because the food has a chance to broken down properly before you go to bed (or something similar like that) can anyone give me more in?formation?? My aunt swears by it.

Lots of Love

S xxxx

sounds great, not true.

It works because not eating after 5pm typically means a reduction in calories, that is all.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    All you are going to do is go to bed hungry! A calorie is a calorie no matter when you eat it.
  • mattjolsen
    Options
    What time you eat doesn't matter much. What matter is calories in vs. calories out AND your overall macro nutrient ratio. 150 calories of protein before bed is obviously better than 150 calories of sugar.
  • kimber62372
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I think if you stop eating that early you might slow down your metabolism. Consult with your doctor if anything before you do this. You should be eating at least 5-6 times a day of smaller portions including snacks. Just don't eat after 8pm, anything before that might put your body into starvation mode. Hope this helps! :)

17111624.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to read the replies. I could not NOT eat after 5pm. I'd be in bed at 8pm starving!
  • zafferFL
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I think if you stop eating that early you might slow down your metabolism. Consult with your doctor if anything before you do this. You should be eating at least 5-6 times a day of smaller portions including snacks. Just don't eat after 8pm, anything before that might put your body into starvation mode. Hope this helps! :)

17111624.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

this is just as incorrect. You do not need to eat 5-6 times a day. And you can eat after 8pm. You can finish your last meal in bed if you'd like.

You will not go into starvation mode even with not eating for a full day.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's not true. Normally people just gain weight from late night snacking. If not eating after 5 pm works for you though, go for it.
  • All4Tris
    All4Tris Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Look up Intermittent Fasting!
  • mattjolsen
    Options
    It's not true. Normally people just gain weight from late night snacking. If not eating after 5 pm works for you though, go for it.
    They gain weight from late night snacking because it's usually unhealthy snacks and they end up over their caloric needs. Again, the time of day doesn't matter. Nutrition is 24/7.
  • zafferFL
    Options
    They gain weight from late night snacking because it's usually unhealthy snacks and they end up over their caloric needs. Again, the time of day doesn't matter. Nutrition is 24/7.

Truth
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Eeeek! I would be starving if I didn't eat after 5:00. I don't even get home until 6:00!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry after dinner I eat! Just exercise enough each day to have leftover calories for that evening snack, just in case!
  • faiga
    faiga Posts: 47
    Options
    stopping to eat at five is not good. a nutritionist told me that you should not eat about 2 hours before bed time and another one said eat something small and healthy to keep your metabolism going threw the night the example she gave was 10 nuts that are not salted or roasted or anything else besides if shelled
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I never eat til 7 and have been losing weight. Having dinner that late doesn't allow snacking time and I'm too busy until about 6 to cook earlier
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options

True, but healthy snacks can be high in calories, too. It's the calories themselves, not nutritious food vs junk food. Eat 500 calories of granola and 250 calories of potato chips, you're gonna gain more weight eating granola. Though nutritious food is definitely better for you in the long run and preferable.
  • zafferFL
    Options

True, but healthy snacks can be high in calories, too. It's the calories themselves, not nutritious food vs junk food. Eat 500 calories of granola and 250 calories of potato chips, you're gonna gain more weight eating granola. Though nutritious food is definitely better for you in the long run and preferable.

what about 250 grams of sugar vs 250 grams of pure protein...no difference?
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get home late and don't eat until 8-10PM. I'm still losing weight.
  • mattjolsen
    Options

Of course 500 calories of anything is more than 250 calories of anything else -- I'm not sure what your point is. Note in my post, I said the weight gain is from ending up over their caloric needs. But the nutritiousness does matter. Your body is going to use 250g of pure protein differently than 250g of pure sugar.

But the point of this thread is: No, eating after 5pm doesn't matter, as long as your calories and nutrients are in check.
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options

Of course 500 calories of anything is more than 250 calories of anything else -- I'm not sure what your point is. Note in my post, I said the weight gain is from ending up over their caloric needs. But the nutritiousness does matter. Your body is going to use 250g of pure protein differently than 250g of pure sugar.

But the point of this thread is: No, eating after 5pm doesn't matter, as long as your calories and nutrients are in check.

Sorry, now that I'm reading, my original post wasn't clear. It's the amount of calories consumed during late night snacking (which often involves overeating) that causes the weight gain. We're on the same page, I just wasn't clear.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Depends what time zone you're in.