Is this healthy...?

Options
Hi all
So a little background info for you all... I'm 5'3", 18 years old and 133 pounds at the moment, and would like to lose at least 25 pounds before I go to visit my relatives this summer, in July.
So roughly in two months, I have to shed 25 lbs.

So far, I've decreased how much I eat to around 900 calories and divide that into 5 small meals a day.
I do crunches, weight lifting and jog for at least 10 minutes every day on the treadmill.

Is that enough or too little?
Thanks for any and all input!

Replies

• chatonne
    chatonne Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi all
    So a little background info for you all... I'm 5'3", 18 years old and 133 pounds at the moment, and would like to lose at least 25 pounds before I go to visit my relatives this summer, in July.
    So roughly in two months, I have to shed 25 lbs.

So far, I've decreased how much I eat to around 900 calories and divide that into 5 small meals a day.
    I do crunches, weight lifting and jog for at least 10 minutes every day on the treadmill.

Is that enough or too little?
    Thanks for any and all input!
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    Well I am no doc but I would say that you cal intake is too low. People at my gym have been averaging 10 pounds a month, so you could come close if you do it right...by that I mean the Healthy way. What does MFP put you at as far as your cal intake?

Wishing you luck!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Any reason you're trying to weigh 108 lbs at 5'3 specifically? Are you keeping body composition in mind? Muscle mass?

And no, that's not healthy. Too few calories, and that weight loss is too rapid.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    ok you are eating way too little. At least 1200 calories a day, especially since you're exercising. Also, you're already at a healthy weight for your height, so losing 25 lbs in 2 months isn't very realistic or doable. In other words, it's a very unattainable goal. That's 12.5 lbs per month, which is a little over 3 pounds per week. Eating 900 calories a day may get you that goal - but you're not going to lose just fat - you're going to lose a lot of valuable muscle weight as your body starves itself. Starving yourself might also trigger yourself into binging large amounts of food because your body is so hungry, which is counteractive to your goal.

So no, to answer your question, it's not really healthy. Perhaps setting a more realistic goal like losing 15-20 lbs is more doable. Upping your calories and making sure you're getting nutrient dense food from the four food groups - vegetables and fruit, lean meat or alternatives (if you're vegetarian), milk or alternatives, and whole grains (make sure it's whole grains products filled with lots of fibre). Also drink lots of water - at least 2 litres/64 oz a day.

Eating healthy and then exercising may not earn you the 25 pound loss you want in 2 months, but you will be eating healthy, have more energy, and most likely lose some of the weight you want :smile:
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Short question, short answer: NO.
    Eat more.
  • exercisediva
    Options
    absolutely not! You will pass out trying to work out and live on 900 calories per day.

151375.png
  • fragable17
    Options
    your TOTAL calorie intake a day should never be less then 1200. so if you aren't working out one day should eat no LESS then 1200 calories. if you are working out and burning calories, lets say 300 on a particular day, then you should eat no LESS then 1500 so that after you burn the 300 you have still consumed 1200 not burned calories.
  • erlehmkuhle
    Options
    Any reason you're trying to weigh 108 lbs at 5'3 specifically? Are you keeping body composition in mind? Muscle mass?

And no, that's not healthy. Too few calories, and that weight loss is too rapid.

Agreed and Agreed. No matter how good we look, we always think we could be just a little bit thinner. It sounds to me that you may be heading toward the harmful weightloss. You will come to a point where your body will say NO MORE cutting. That is when you should stop. Check your BMI and see what it says. I'm betting that your target weight will be severely underweight. I hope you are not discouraged, keep your head up and if anything consult with a trainer or nutritionalist and always your doctor.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    OK, quick use of the bmi tool shows you are currently at a healthy weight. Losing 30 pounds would put you underweight. So, if you really believe you have fat to lose, I recommend you look at maintaining your weight, but increase exercise to convert it to muscle. Muscle is smaller than fat and weighs more than fat, so you could be very healthy at your current weight or risk becoming unhealthy at a lower weight.
  • AndreaT
    AndreaT Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You may be able to reach your target, but once you go back to eating healthfully (900 way too little for body functions to keep operating optimally) you will gain it all back and more!!! Our bodies are designed to protect us in famine conditions by conserving fat. If you cut back that much your body may conserve and your metabolism will slow way down. Also, 900 calories will not keep up your existing muscle mass and this also contributes to a slowed metabolism....which all means in long run less calories burned. As a side note, weight is not always the best indicator of health...muscle weighs more and looks better than fat. Check out your body fat percentage and try to decrease that instead of focusing on what may be a very unrealistic weight goal. I think your calorie target should be something more like 1200 and more if your exercising.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say no.... you def. need more than 900 cals a day
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    ^^^^^ What they said ^^^^^^
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I think it's going to be very difficult to go down that fast no matter what you do. I'm 5 4 and 18, and been on the site since January. I'm not going to say that I've been perfect with my eating, but it's only been 11 pounds in those 4 months. Just don't expect a miracle. The closer you get to your goal, the harder it's going to be to lose weight. Maybe shoot for 10 pounds lost by July, and if you get more, great! You'll still be 123, a fantastic weight. I just don't want to see you disappointed and giving up if you don't lose 25 pounds by then. Good luck, and stay healthy!!! :drinker:
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    Something I've noticed in the MFP community - and someone tell me if this is wrong but:

If you have to ask if something's healthy...then it probably isn't :wink:

Eat healthy, get some exercise and you'll be amazed what you CAN accomplish :smile:

Jeff @YEG
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Something I've noticed in the MFP community - and someone tell me if this is wrong but:

If you have to ask if something's healthy...then it probably isn't :wink:

Eat healthy, get some exercise and you'll be amazed what you CAN accomplish :smile:

Jeff @YEG

Good observation! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    there is no reason for you lose lose 25 pounds. you don't have that much extraneous weight, really don't try to lose what you don't have. you'll regret it.