BMR Please help!

Options
Hi! I am new here and not sure if this is posted in the right spot or not but I am confused about the BMR among other things! I need to loose 150 lbs as I am 300 lbs right now. My BMR says 2166.8 What does this mean? I dont understand how I have or can eat this many calories a day and loose weight.

As far as exercise I 30 Day Shred usually every day (unless I am too sore LOL) & I bike.
Today was my best yet 7 miles in 45 min pulling both boys in a bike trailer. My HRM said I burned 848 calories doing this my avg. heart rate was 171 (I say average bc this is what came up the most times when I checked) so I can see that as legit.

As far as food intake: Breakfast is oats or 2 eggs, lunch is salad with salamon, dinner is salad with salamon. (On my very best day!) I drink about 10 cups of water a day

Sorry if this post is TMI or w.e. I have no shame ;) I just need help and do NOT want to loose my muscle masses. I am very strong and always have been and that is really important to me!

I need to know what is this BMR help help help!

Thank you so so so much for any and all help you can give me!

Replies

• Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had similar questions and got help from this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/508299-my-bmr-is-1428-seriously-know-yours

I'm no expert and wouldn't know the first thing to tell you for certain, but I hope this thread helps. :smile: :smile:
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Also, I went to this site to get my BMR:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator

And then went to this site to get my daily calorie needs:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Basically, get your BMR and then:
    If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

From my understanding, this number will be the number of calories you need to eat to maintain your weight. Minus 500 calories from this total to lose about a pound a week (just don't go less than 1200 calories a day unless otherwise directed). Again, this is not professional medical advice, but just what I've found from MFP. :smile:
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help!!

Hmm so 2166.8*1.55=3358.40-500

2858 is how many calories I have to eat a day? But if I do eat this then I will still loose weight?
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    With 150 lbs to lose, it might be safe for you to start off with a goal of 2 lbs per week, which would reduce your daily calories by another 500. But if you are able I'd consult a medical expert.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,131 Member
    Options
    BMR--Basal Metabolic Rate, is the amount of calories needed to run the basic functions of your body such as keep your heart pumping, your brain functions, etc. It is burned whether you do anything or not. That is, just lying in bed doing nothing, you will burn your BMR. The moment you get up, you start to burn more calories than your BMR hence the multipliers that were mentioned above.

The general suggestion is not to eat below your BMR, but since you have a lot to lose you probably could, but I would still say no more than a 2 pound per week goal to start with, so a 1000 calorie deficit per day. So based on your post earlier 2166.8*1.55=3358.40-1000 gives you 2358 or so calories a day. If you eat less you will still lose weight, but the more weight you lose per week, the more muscle you will lose with it. As you lose weight that number will go down because at a lower weight you BMR goes down as well.

Frankly I would suggest just using the number MFP gives in the goal setter tool. That does not include your exercise calories, just your daily activity ones, and thus it expects you to eat the calories you burn off exercising. Or you could use this number, which I an guessing includes the amount of exercise you intend to do, and don't eat your exercise calories back.
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help!!

Hmm so 2166.8*1.55=3358.40-500

2858 is how many calories I have to eat a day? But if I do eat this then I will still loose weight?

People with a fair bit of weight to lose can generally handle a greater net calorie deficit. I usually suggest that people eat at least their BMR. But as you point out, your BMR is rather high. It seems that general rule might not apply as well here.

I am not an expert, but I would suggest eating 1700-1800 calories a day of healthy food. I think that would be sustainable, you shouldn't be hungry. Find a way to make exercise a regular routine. If you haven't been very active, I think the exercise will kick-start your weight loss due to the increase in your metabolism. Re-assess in a month or 2. I'd be surprised if you didn't see some weight loss by then.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Wow Thank you everyone for all the help!

Now my next question is How in the world can I eat that many calories but of HEALTHY foods!?

I have been trying to be raw but I guess thats not going to work out with this BMR that I need to consume.

I do eat whole wheat pasta I guess I can make that my lunch instead of salads and salamon that would be an increase.
  • jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Proteins...lean proteins, add lots of fiber, barley is a good option too
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,131 Member
    Options
    Nuts (almonds, and the like) are high in calories and good fats. Extra Virgin Olive Oil used on salads or in cooking where you are not heating it too high as it has a low smoke point. Avocados are another high calorie good fat source. Fats are not the enemy, just avoid trans fats as there is nothing good about them. For that matter lean meats are good as well as is dairy like cheese and greek yogurt as well as being a good source of protein.
  • nopswd
    nopswd Posts: 12
    Options
    If you really stick to the diet as you have it written above and workout as you have said you will loose weight pretty fast. Lift wieghts a few days a week and you will see results even faster plus you will keep muscle mass. If you stick to it you will be really surprised at how fast the pounds come off. I'm no expert either, but I know what works for me. I tried all kinds of things, and finally found that if I just did the simplest things possible I had so much more success. Now I try not to over think it. You will do so well in a very short time.
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Your diet seems a little sparse. Try eating more varied foods every day. Whole grains, more vegetables and lean meats (unless you're vegetarian) and low fat dairy. Add some chicken, lean steak in there as well. Remember, this is a lifestyle change, not a diet, and it may be hard to sustain yourself on lettuce and salmon for the long term. Don't be afraid to eat!

Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    BMR--Basal Metabolic Rate, is the amount of calories needed to run the basic functions of your body such as keep your heart pumping, your brain functions, etc. It is burned whether you do anything or not. That is, just lying in bed doing nothing, you will burn your BMR. The moment you get up, you start to burn more calories than your BMR hence the multipliers that were mentioned above.

This is exactly what I was gonna say. People often misunderstand the definition of BMR. The general misconception is that this is the amount of calories you burn on an average day with your current lifestyle. Of course, this is based on your height/weight/age, so it does not take into account medical conditions like Hypo/Hyperthyroidism or Insulin Resistance. I have both of these conditions, so my body does not burn calories like someone my height/weight/age normally would. It's not an exact science, so BMR calculations are really a best guess starting point. You may have to make adjustments according to your own specific dietary needs.