Homemade Salad Dressings??

I love salads but I guess I'm going to have to learn to make my own dressings. The ones on the market that are reduced "anything" just kind of gross me out or they just aren't "reduced" enough to make them worth it. Does anyone have any suggestions for salad dressings or recipes? I like Italian and Ranch the best but I'm open to any and all suggestions! Thanks!!!

Replies

• Anything that you make at home is going to be better than what you buy at the store, reduced or not. If you like ranch (who doesn't?) why don't you try taking a traditional recipe and lightening it? I've made this ranch before ( http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/homemade-ranch-dressing/ ) and I love it. Maybe make your own substitutions to make it healthier? Maybe use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, or buy a fat free sour cream. Use less mayonnaise, (but ingredient wise, I would use full fat mayo instead of light - just use less ), use low fat or fat free buttermilk. Just making it yourself with your own ingredients and fresh herbs will make a delicious dressing - better than any store bought! I grew up in the south loving ranch - and I've never tasted a bottled dressing that could do justice to homemade! Best of luck!
  • I avoid "lite" dressings because of their added sugars (and they taste like crap!) I agree with above...yogurt is killer (especially with a hidden valley ranch seasoning packet). But my go to is"

-2:0.5 tbsp cider vinegar to really good olive oil until I get a jar full
    -1 tbsp dill
    -1/4 tsp sea salt
    -cracked black pepper
    -2 crushed garlic cloves

Now, I'm not a big dressing person, but this kicks *kitten* on everything and it's good fats!
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 516 Member
    I just got this off the internet today. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to (I also love Ranch dressing)

Fat-Free Yogurt Ranch Dressing
    • Number of Servings: 16

Ingredients
    2 cups fat free yogurt
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 envelope Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix

Directions
    Mix the ingredients together and chill.

Makes 16 - 2 Tablespoon servings

Number of Servings: 16
    Nutritional Info
    • Servings Per Recipe: 16
    • Amount Per Serving
    • Calories: 19.7
    • Total Fat: 0.0 g
    • Cholesterol: 0.6 mg
    • Sodium: 177.5 mg
    • Total Carbs: 2.9 g
    • Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
    • Protein: 1.4 g
  • If you are really needing to lose weight i suggest trying dressings made without oils. lemon juice, salt, and stevia is a good one. I made one least night with lemon juice, 2 strawberries, apple cider vinegar and 1 packet of stevia it was awesome! just get creative. there are so many combos you could try. I love ranch dressing too but realized that i could give it up if i really wanted to lose the weight.
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Rice vinegar is great all by itself or with a tiny bit of olive oil and it is virtually calorie free.
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    I agree with the previous posters... not a huge ranch person myself, but they are spot on regarding the use of yogurt and low fat buttermilk.

If you like a thicker vinaigrette style dressing, add a little Dijon mustard. Use any vinegar of choice, balsamic, white balsamic, apple cider, red wine... or fresh lemon or orange juice. You can add herbs of your choice... dried thyme, oregano, dill, just about anything. If you like a little sweeter dressing add a touch of honey or agave nectar, you don't need much at all. For the thicker vinaigrette add the mustard, salt pepper to taste, then drizzle in the oil of choice... Olive oil, coconut oil, you can use infused oils... the sky is the limit. You can add minced shallots, garlic, anchovies and Dijon mustard with red wine vinegar will make really delish low cal version of Cesar dressing. There are a million recipes out there... just get in the kitchen and experiment. Good luck!

FYI: they typical vinaigrette ratio is 3 to 1... oil to vinegar/acid. I typically use less oil and more acid, but I like a stronger vinaigrette and it decreases the calories.
  • Plain yellow mustard, balsalmic vinegar and some splenda to taste. I don't know exact numbers since I just do it until it tastes good. Tastes like honey mustard. So good. Found it last year on another site but they didn't use exact measurements either.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    This is my house salad dressing that I make all the time. It has some olive oil, but most of the liquid is acid so it keeps the calories down but still has some body.

For me, a serving of this is 2T:

2T olive oil
    4T white wine vinegar
    2T lemon juice
    1T Dijon mustard
    1T honey
    1 large shallot, very finely chopped (you could also use green onions or garlic here instead)
    salt and pepper to taste

I usually dump all this into a mason jar or old salsa jar and shake it all around. I also usually double this recipe and it will keep in the fridge for a good 1.5-2 weeks.
  • Rosiered2
    Rosiered2 Posts: 87 Member
    Thanks everybody! VERY VERY helpful, I have all those ingredients at home. I'm printing this out and going to make me some salad dressing tonight! I really appreciate you all taking the time to stop and help!