Do large breasts throw off % Body Fat????

Options
Granted I'm not as small as I'd like to be, but I'm not extrememly over weight, and I'm quite fit. I lift heavy, teach boot camp & spin classes, bike (double century planned in May) and even run (5K's typically) if some one needs a buddy, but the scale has me pegged at >50% body fat last weigh in I was 144lb. I expected 30 something, but never 50 something, any info on this out there?

Replies

• hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I would say being 50% fat makes your body fat % that much :huh: I am sure it is well distributed over your body and just if you have large breasts DOESNT mean you shouldn't worry about it being that high!
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The measurement that really counts, as far as health is concerned, is your waist/hip ration. This is far more significant than % bodyfat, as fat stored below the waist does not have the health impact of fat stored around the midsection.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I've wondered about this also!
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    How did you measure BF?
    I have a scale showing me my BF and it is NOT really reliable at all. The value is always different within 10 mins. It depends on when you've been to the bathroom, when and how much you've drunk. When I'm not well hydrated the BF goes down. Very strange and so I don't trust my scale and don't believe what it tells me. Best way would be to have it tested in a gym or by a nutritionist.
  • RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I got weighed hydrostatically last week. (BODYFATTEST.com) and they say that's the best method for determining body fat percentages. I was only 35% and need to lose about 24 pounds. If you are 144 pounds, I don't see how you could be 50% bf.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that the scales that supposedly measure body fat are not really very accurate. Even a good body fat analyzer actually measures the amount of water in your body, so if you're retaining water it's going to be off.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    You can't trust a scale measurement of body fat. It's the least accurate of all measurements. If you truly want to know, get a dexa scan, hydrostatic test, bodpod, or have a trained professional do a 7 point caliper check.
  • Tlively13
    Tlively13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    How did you measure your body fat? invest in a caliper they are not expensive. you will measure three points on your body take that measurement three times then take an average and check the chart that came with your caliper.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,180 Member
    Options
    How did you measure BF?
    I have a scale showing me my BF and it is NOT really reliable at all. The value is always different within 10 mins. It depends on when you've been to the bathroom, when and how much you've drunk. When I'm not well hydrated the BF goes down. Very strange and so I don't trust my scale and don't believe what it tells me. Best way would be to have it tested in a gym or by a nutritionist.

Just to second this, the body fat % measurement used by the scales and the hand held devices is extremely inaccurate, even to itself. It can be thrown off simply by your hydration level. Try this experiment. Get on it and have it measure your bf%. Go and drink 4-5 cups of water over the next several minutes say 3-5. Then weigh yourself again taking a bf%. It will likely be quite different as will your weight because of the water. I used to do my weight a bf% on my scale all the time, now I just use it to weigh myself. If you want a more accurate bf% pay for either the underwater weighing or the Bod Pod.
  • Tlively13
    Options
    How did you measure your body fat? invest in a caliper they are not expensive. you will measure points on your body take that measurement three times then take an average and check the chart that came with your caliper.
  • Tlively13
    Options
    How did you measure your body fat? invest in a caliper they are not expensive. you will measure points on your body take that measurement three times then take an average and check the chart that came with your caliper.
    have a personal trainer do it for you.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm not totally hung up on this, I'm just curious as to how accurately the scales measure, but htanks for tips on alternative ways to measure.