Running a 10k, tips please!

Options
stef827
stef827 Posts: 215 Member
I would like to run a 10k come spring/summer time and would love any tips about training, what to wear that day, what to bring, etc... This will be my first race and it is so nerve racking so any advice would be great. Thanks :)

Replies

• katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I went straight from an 8k to a half...which is in 17 days! I just run the best I can for me. Competing against nothing and noone else. Dress like its 15 degrees warmer. If youre comfortable at the start..youre overdressed. Im still a newbie though :)
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    Doing a 10k in May...would be interested in advice as well.

I won't be doing it for competition, I just want to finish! :smile:
  • stef827
    Options
    Doing a 10k in May...would be interested in advice as well.

I won't be doing it for competition, I just want to finish! :smile:

This for me too, I just want to finish. Its just a goal of mine to get my first race done so I know how it all goes :)
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get as close to 6 miles on your long runs. Don't focus on speed when you train for your long runs. Work on speed runs separately for shorter runs.

Make sure you run 3 days a week, and cross train one day.

Your runs should have a long run, a speed run, and a strength run (hills). Cross training for me usually is a spin class. I strength train as well 3 days a week.

On race day I eat a bagel with almond butter about an hour before the race. I stop at the water stations usually the first one, and then about half way through the race.

This training has gotten me through PR's for my 5k races as well as 10k races. I follow a similar format for my half marathon races.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Cross-train, cross-train, cross-train. When you're not running, bike. Or do a day where you focus on squats, lunges, upper body workouts, and core training, because it will benefit your muscles so much in preparation for race day. It'll also protect your joints if those muscles are stronger. Good luck!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    practice good race etiquette!!

- Line up where you think you should according to your expected pace. If you are running 9+ min/miles, don't line up in the front.
    - If you walk, move to the side first.
    - Don't come to a stop at any water station. Grab a cup and get out of the way.
    - if you are running with other people, no more than 2 across.

These things will make your fellow racers happy. Also, if I'm nervous about a race, I spend my first mile running 15sec slower than I need to. it gives me a few mins to settle in and think about the race and get prepped to run my A** off for another 5 miles.

Have fun!! 10Ks are a fun but difficult distance. You can't go top speed like a 5K but you don't have much time to make up for any slow miles. It's definitely a pacing challenge. Personally, it's my worst distance. A well run 10K is my 2nd running goal for the year.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Have you started training yet? If not, I've been using this 7 week training schedule to prepare for mine. It's been working out really well for me so far but it's about to get ugly since I have my first 60 min run on Saturday but I'm looking forward to it (never thought I'd say that!).

http://www.marathonrookie.com/10k-training.html

Best of luck to you!
  • AnotherJenn
    AnotherJenn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a 10k now. I've only ever participated in 2 5ks and I'm doing the Bridge to 10k app. Maybe that could help you prepare. Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For the lady runners.......invest in a good sports bra (I've seen some guys that could use one too but I digress) you will be far more comfortable.

Avoid cotton, look for shorts and a tee-shirt or singlet made of a wicking fabric (smooth fabrics tend to chafe less than waffle weaves). If it's a warm sunny day wear a hat.

Don't wear your iPod during a race (lots of people do but - and this is only my personal opinion - you put yourself and other runners in danger by depriving yourself of the ability to hear what's going on around you, I don't know which race you're in but here in Ottawa there were over 8,000 runners doing the 10K last May - there's a lot going on around you and it's imperative that you can hear other runners, race officials etc)

Don't eat anything new in the 24 hours preceding the race, the last thing you want are digestive surprises on the run. Stick to drinking water during the run (unless they're handing out the same sports drink you've been training with - personally I don't think you need to resort to sports drinks when training for a 10k) Eat at least 2 or 3 hours before the race and keep it light - your body has enough fuel assuming you ate properly the day before.

Be consistent in your training and, when it comes to race day, think of it as just another long slow distance run - your only goal is to cross the finish line with a smile on your face.
  • dawlschic007
    Options
    Great advice, BrianSharpe! I've switched to all wicking fabrics and am much happier because of it. I still need to get off the treadmill though and start running outside.
  • Luckysusan
    Luckysusan Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My first 10K is in 3 weeks. I completed the B210K app a week ago. Now I am running a long run 6-7 miles on the weekend and during the week I'm running 3 mile runs 3 times per week. I feel like this will keep me going until the race. I'm not fast but I feel ready to run this 10K. I'm acutally going to run a 5K the week before my 10K. I think this will help me know my pace for the 10K.
    Good luck on your training. I never thought I would try a 10K and who knows, I might try a half marathon one day.
  • stef827
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the replys, lots of great info! I have not started "training" yet but I do get a couple few runs in per week. Or I could say walks/jogs, I am a snail right now and cant go faster than 5mph or a 12 min mile. Will start a training program this month to get myself prepared. I will check out all the links as well. Thanks again for all the advice!
  • dawlschic007
    Options
    I'm a slow runner, too. I'm just concentrating on being able to run the distance and will work on my time later.