University Students

Hi, I'm currently in my 1st year of university. I am wondering if there is any one else out there in my type of situation? My schedule is so damn hectic, that sometimes I end up not packing lunch and then I end up buying the cheapest thing on the menu at the food places at my school!

Replies

• TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    I'm a fourth year student and live off campus, but I got a $500 meal plan before the semester started. So now I have 250 to use on school food or lose the money. It's a pain to have to eat on campus, but when you know you're going to have to (or just to be safe) look up the nutrition values and plan out what you'd eat at each place. Good luck, it is possible to be in school and lose weight!
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Mmm the thing is I don't have money to spend a school. I do not have a meal plan or anything, so I make my lunch and breakfast. So, when I go to school without food, I end up buying the cheapest thing on the menu! Which is usually not very healthy :(
  • deansters
    deansters Posts: 59 Member
    Im also in the university

I used to never make time for myself (going to the gym ..watching what i ate) but it really caught up with me

Now my school my diet and my fitness regime are number 1 in my life

just have schedule around things
  • crazytreelady
    That's awesome! Good for you! I think I really need to rearrange my schedule around so I can actually pack a fuller lunch/breakfast.. And not forget it on the counter haha!
  • deansters
    deansters Posts: 59 Member
    But i really know that feeling -there is usually nothing really healthy to eat around my campus

But when in doubt- Grab some subway ..or if im too far away from subway i would buy some almonds and green tea to keep me buy until i get home
  • crazytreelady
    Green tea and almonds is actually a REALLY good idea... I eat subway sometimes heehee
  • ell_jay
    ell_jay Posts: 68
    HI (: I'm in my first year in University too. I joined the Uni gym, and go in between lectures (before evening lectures/or after morning lectures). I do cardio at the gym twice a week, and follow the P90X programme in my flat. I just try to take an hour out of my day to get a workout in, no matter what Uni work I have to do (:

As for food wise, I live quite close to my Uni, so I always run back to get food, or take fruit with me for snacks (:
  • paleojamie
    paleojamie Posts: 191
    i'm at uni :) but looking to gain weight
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I work full time and go to school part time. I feel your pain, especially at dinner time.

Buy some meal replacement or protein bars and stash a couple in your backpack. They are a much better option than the fast food value menu items when you get stuck without food and are not much more expensive.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    I gained 15 pounds during my time at university because of those eating habits (I've since lost it). Despite the fact that I walked constantly over a sprawling campus, I wasn't planning ahead and getting my assignments done so I could exercise, and I was eating convenience food all the time. Don't let it get out of control. Always make time for exercise and setting up your meals for the next day.
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    3rd year university student and stress out. I don't usually eat lunch , I try to have a nice breakfast and then have dinner when I get home. But sometimes I prepare my own lunch really early in the morning before leaving for the Uni.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    I'm a full time grad student, working 30 hours a week in my career, and father of two little ones. It's a b*tch to juggle all of it. You just basically do the best you can do with what you have. I'm still working on finding balance so I can at least work out here and there. It's better than nothing.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    I gained 15 pounds during my time at university because of those eating habits (I've since lost it). Despite the fact that I walked constantly over a sprawling campus, I wasn't planning ahead and getting my assignments done so I could exercise, and I was eating convenience food all the time. Don't let it get out of control. Always make time for exercise and setting up your meals for the next day.

that's it! control is in your hands. you have the time! :)
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    I'm in my final year at uni studying law and when I get really busy I really struggle to eat enough. I never buy things from the restaurants/cafeterias on campus because I just couldn't bare eating what they sell so on days I haven't made and brought my own salads I just live off fruit and nuts. To make sure those days are fewer these days I have just had to plan my time better to make sure I always have time to prepare lunch to bring with me before I go.

There is a Subway on campus and they can make custom made salads. I suppose if you skipped dressings and things that would be a pretty good alternative but it's cheaper to make your own salads at home anyway.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Yup me too! And I lost the majority of my weight living in the dorms.

Things that helped me:
    Tiny George Foreman Grill, mini fridge, microwave
    They also have dirt cheap plastic things at walmart that you can cook eggs in the microwave :D

Food:
    Tuna
    protein bars/powder
    eggs
    almonds, peanut butter, pistachios etc
    bread of course ^-^
  • Mellocare
    Mellocare Posts: 47 Member
    I'm also in university! Actually in class right now or I'd write more, LOL. Mind if I add you? Maybe we can help each other figure out some good ideas for eating right. :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Also if you don't have time to work out - it really is okay to put it off. Remember to ALWAYS focus on studies first. I have seen a few give up study time they needed to workout. Plan ahead to hit your calorie goals and you are golden
  • bogoli
    bogoli Posts: 15
    I'm in college right now... sophomore! Freshman year I gained 30 lbs and it was really hard. I ate out a lot and didn't exercise at all. I'm not on a food plan, I grocery shop and cook when I can, and I think it's hard sometimes, but you get used to it.

I love Trader Joe's! I can get soups and microwave meals that are at a decent price for those days when I don't have time, and lots of lunch meat and cheese for sandwiches. The frozen veggies are also really simple and easy to make.

Whenever I find myself thinking "Oh, I'll take a break and watch some TV now" or going to go out with friends, I try to make some time to go to the gym. I work out for ~30 min every day, and it's made me so much happier and under control. It's also helped me reduce stress!

Good luck to everyone out there!! :)
  • Hello in my 1st year as well, and I let people support of me looking good over weight what the scale said i was putting on 30+ lbs later i decided that wasn't going to cut it any more so i set my goal of 30lbs and toning up by july, and getting a blender and omelet making materials has really worked the best, nothing like a super low calorie egg white omelet and a fruit blend when i'm hungry, being i'm so busy during the day with school i've had to do a protien shake and working out in the morning for calories and any other vitamins that i missed. I can't complain i haven't been training long and have lost 9 lbs now just gotta make sure i dont yo-yo.
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    I'm an advisor at my college and a full-time student. I pack my lunch and even my dinner if I know I'm going to be really late. You just have to make time.