I DID do a search for this...

Options
ttkg
ttkg Posts: 357 Member
But there were a tonne of results from previous forum posts and it was a little confusing. :indifferent: The topic is Macros...

I work with a personal trainer 3 times a week doing strength training with mostly free weights and some machines plus some dynamic body weight exercises. I get out for a 30 minute walk 5 times a week and 3 days a week I have started doing the C25K jogging program for beginners and another 2-3 days a week I will do some HIIT training on stairs for an average of 12 minutes(run up 2 flights, walk down 2 flights and repeat). I am 36 at the end of this month, 5'8, 185lbs and have an office job.

Based on all of this how should I set up my macros...right now I have 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat right now. I want to shave my weight down by 20lbs and i want to continue changing my body composition with strength training and continue working towards my jogging goals for an eventual 5k race.

So what would be the optimal setting for weight loss AND fueling my body? I appreciate your assistance!! :smile:

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You're good right where you are. Wouldn't change a thing.
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    LOL - excellent then!!! Last month I was wondering what a macro was so I wanted to check in with the MFP family as i have read a lot on here and elsewhere and some of it was a little conflicting and all of it was overwhelming for me. I appreciate the response!!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    LOL - excellent then!!! Last month I was wondering what a macro was so I wanted to check in with the MFP family as i have read a lot on here and elsewhere and some of it was a little conflicting and all of it was overwhelming for me. I appreciate the response!!!

Yeah, I hear you. There is a lot of conflicting info and different points of view. I like both your training regimen and your macros. Youa re mixing high and low intensity cardio and strength training and you are probably (I didn't look at your diary) between 100 and 150 grams carbs. I like that carb zone as a maintenance to slight weight loss zone. Youa re not running out of fuel and when you workout, you will burn fat nicely. You have enough fats and your protein is good for rebuilding. I'm guessing you are around 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. All good zones.

IIf you are ever feeling your energy lag, you may want to try a carb refeed day. Or you may want to schedule one every week or 2. On that day, you minimize your fats and push your carbs up to about 250 grams for a day. My only concern is that you may not be getting enough rest/rebuilding time in the form of an off day. Is your energy level staying good and are you able to go hard in your running and trength session? If so, you are good. If not, don't be afraid to take a day off when your body is telling you it's tired. The rest/ rebuilding part of the cycle is just as important as the work part of the cycle. Also, get plenty of sleep! Looks like you are in a good zone though!