Losing weight & reclaiming my life

Options
LilRiver
LilRiver Posts: 81 Member
Hey all!

Now that I've been using MFP for 3 weeks, I'm confident enough to say that this is not just a "phase" and that I really am going to do this. And, since that is the case, I might as well do it right and reach out for some friends and support!

About me… I'm 40 years old and trying to go from 270 to 135! Yep! That's half my weight! I'm not sure if 135 will be the goal once I start getting down there, the final number isn't as important to me as much as the way I look and feel and where my body wants to be. If that turns out to be 140 or 150, that is ok. But 135 has a bit of meaning, not just because it's half my weight and in the middle of the healthy range for my height, but it's the number that I can distinctly remember thinking I was "so fat and ugly and worthless" (i was 20 - and an idiot - a jerk ex called me fat and I internalized it). It just went down (or, well, up) from there. I have really enjoyed reclaiming that number from something negative to something positive to work towards.

I live in Atlanta and make crazy story & game experiences. My passion is reclaiming public spaces for play, but it's been harder and harder to find joy in that as my weight has increased. So, enough already. Back to bringing and making my fun in life. In the past three weeks, not a day has gone by that I haven't been outside and active. I already feel happier, healthier, and more creative than I've felt in months... it's awesome. I even found myself running the other day... and enjoying it! (WTF?! Even as an athletic teen, I hated running.)

Feel free to add me as a friend - I'd love the support on this journey and look forward to cheering you on as well.

Super double plus bonus if you like doing crazy non-obvious activity type things. As I become more active I'm finding myself daydreaming of fun outdoor activities and would love to have folks play with some of my brainstorms and/or brainstorm with me! (think geocaching with a twist or using sidewalk chalk to create a fun courses for walking/running or hunting zombies or ninja training of the non-lethal variety or or or).

Replies

• ashli_rose
    Options
    Well I'm glad to here this :) I just started about three days ago hehe I really hope I can keep it up and start being more healthy. I am the total opposite however. I have always been athletic (running, swimming, basketball, football, ect.) For me, it has always been the food that I have trouble with. I'm only 19, but when I was in high school, I was always very fit and active. My senior year, I got pregnant. I graduated, had my baby, and now I love every second of being my little man. But he didn't treat my body so nicely haha. I have 35 pounds to lose to get back to my average weight of 120. I think what you do is great and I wouldn't want you to ever quit. I love how you are taking a bad memory and creating something very good from it. I firmly beleive people should make the best out of what they are givin, and i think you are doing that very nicely. I hope you stick with this just as much as I hope I do!! Add me if ya wanna :) I love new friends and the support they bring!