World's worst runner / C25K

Options

Replies

• milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to say the same thing as someone else, shoes and form! They are SO important, I was struggling to get myself up to the 25 minute mark and I would be a mess by the time I was done, and hurt for days afterwards. A friend who also runs told me to youtube videos on proper running body and breathing form and to find a local running store to find the right shoes.

I did both, went to the running store and was evaluated by them and they showed me that I have something called an overpronation in my foot so my ankle turns inward a bit and the shoes I was wearing where not supporting my feet properly which was leading to all the aches and pains in my joints all the way up to my neck. The showed me several pairs of shoes that would help correct it and I got a pair, combined it with some of the form lessons I learned from the videos and my 5k came down in time and effort! I felt like a completely different person and can finish without wanting to die when I am done.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    That is a pretty fast run and a 10:00 minute mile. This time try running between 5.0 to 5.5 on the treadmill and see if that helps or drop it even lower. You can do it! :)
  • tipsymoth
    tipsymoth Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    6mph isn't slow!!!!

I haven't been doing it long (started in July, finished the programme in October) and did 5k today at a pace of 5.5mph, and that was me feeling like I was going hell for leather!!! Except for the bits I had to walk. I still have to walk sometimes but at least I am out there and doing it.
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Bump!! I JUST started C25k, and all this advice is AWESOME!!
  • Niccan81
    Niccan81 Posts: 10
    Options
    Stick with it... I am going through the program a second time to increase my speed. The first time was just about proving to myself that I could do it. I repeated week 3 and week 5. I never hit the 20 min run, and moved on to week 6. Week 6 I ran day 1 and 2 twice, before attempting d3. Surprisingly I hit the 25 min run on the first try, even after struggling with day 1 and 2. I think a lot of the battle was a mental one for me. Your shoes may seem nice but they may not be the best fit. I can't run in Nike's. They hurt my feet. When I buy a shoe, I literally run up and down the isle to make sure they fit right for running. I might look like an idiot to some, but I don't want to hurt. Running is not easy for me, and I don't want to give myself an excuse of sore feet/shins to quit. I love the way I feel after running! Look into new shoes, stick with it! You will get through it!
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This is a must watch - so funny!!!!

It could be worse, you could look like one of these guys while running :flowerforyou: : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGojEyYBmwc&sns=fb
    [/quote]
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    running takes a hard time to get used to for a lot of people. It is very hard. I started running 4 years ago, and I could only run 1 mile at a time. I could never have run for anywhere near 30 min.

That being said, it took me about 3 years to get up the endurance of running 6 miles. Now, I'm able to run 13+ without a problem, and I even walked on to my universities cross country team.

I don't really think coach to 5k is a good program at all in my opinion because it pushes too much WAY too fast.

It literally takes months and even years to go from being a non-runner to being someone who can run without any sort of problems on a daily basis.

Some people can just pick it up right away, but for the most part, it is a very long journey, and it can be very painful. The beautiful thing, however, is in the first few years, you improve SO SO SO SO much that you feel incredibly encouraged.

If I were you, I would drop the program. Instead, just go to the gym with the treadmill or go outside for jogs. You really have to build a good foundation with running before you can push it and just beast out 3 miles no problem. TRUST ME. I've been in your shoes, and I wish someone would have told me this because i thought i "sucked" too. I thought I was the "worst", but I don't suck because I'm persistant. You cannot give up! Don't let it get you down. Running does not just become easy over night. It never becomes "easy". Just keep at it, and in a few months, you will be able to see a difference in your times...
  • leighanne1941
    leighanne1941 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need new shoes to me!! Whenever I start having shin or foot pain I know it's time for a new pair.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    If you've had your gait/shoes checked and you do dynamic stretches prior to running and static stretches afterward, here's another thought, based on my personal experience with C25K and becoming a runner:

I started C25k last year when I was also 41 ;) I was 50 pounds overweight and very out of shape. So I can very much relate to where you're coming from. I was never a runner when I was younger and skinny, I just walked a lot and did lots of weights. So I had ZERO experience running. I started out just walking for a couple weeks and then heard about C25K. I tried it for a few weeks, but I could not follow the training plan, even after repeating the first few weeks several times...but I was determined to learn to run, so I made up my own plan as a combination of C25K, Jeff Galloway's walk/run interval program and the book "Run Your Butt Off" that someone else mentioned. I literally started out running 15 second intervals at a time and would then have to walk!

I ran 13 minute miles (or slower!), only ran 3 days per week, and only increased my time by 15-30 seconds per run. It took me about 3 months to be able to run a mile without stopping. But I continued to work on it and add mileage VERY slowly. I went from running 15 seconds at a time...to now, just over a year later, running 6 miles without needing to stop to walk. I've completed a half marathon using a run/walk interval system and finished injury-free and feeling amazing. And my fastest mile has been 9:27, although I typically run slower than that because I am more interested in distance than speed. So DON'T GIVE UP!!! Why don't you try something different?

There's no rule saying you have to follow a training plan that doesn't work for you. C25K is a great program...for some people. If you really want to continue with it, why don't you try adjusting the runs--instead of going from 8 minute running intervals to 20, which is a really big leap for someone new to running, try going from 8 minute to 10 minute intervals? Or something like that? If you need additional training plans, try reading books by Hal Higdon, Jeff Galloway, info at Runners World.com, etc. There are many different programs out there and you can certainly tweak them to meet your individual needs!

Good luck!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Considering you've been at this for 6 weeks, the first two things that pop into my head are 1) bad shoes and 2) bad form (also, bad shoes can lead to bad form as well).

What kind of shoes are you wearing when you run? Have you looked at videos online to see runners' forms and to see how their strides match yours?

Agreed. You've just started...it takes a LONG.TIME for your muscles and bones to accustom themselves to you running. If you were successful at week 5, go back there. Go there, and stay there until you can finish it strongly and confidently. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to do the "program" and since it's self-paced, you can stay there as long as you like.

I'm a runner now, but when I first started I got to week 5 of the program, then stopped and never went back (to the program). I joined my local running club and they happened to have a run/walk program that was FANTASTIC! (and cheap) Run/walk is a legitimate running method proven successful for all levels of runners(at all distances) and also keeps injuries to a minimum, which is a plus for a beginner with weak bones and muscles. (look up Galloway method if you don't have a local running club)

After I lost enough weight to be withing a 5-10lbs of my goal weight, I changed to an all running program and it worked so well! And, I love having such an efficient calorie-burning exercise in my repertoire. Whatever you decide to do, don't give up. The longer you stay at it, the better you'll feel. I think for the first 6 mths or so of running there was always *something* that hurt...lol! I'm so glad to be past that stage! It was a trial!
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    Can you reccomend a running store in the new england area that could help with getting me fitted for proper shoes?
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks so much for all the positive feedback & good information. You're all really nice - :smile:

I am doing the program on a treadmill - maybe that is harder on my joints?. I'm in New England, so my plan was to complete the program this winter indoors so I could move outside in the spring. I have new, Nike running shoes - they retailed for $75. They're nice & light, with a flexible sole. I might try to go to a specialty store as so many of you have advised. I try really hard not to heel-strike. I'm running at 6 MPH. (that ugly day I went down to 5MPH at times). I warm up on the elliptical for 10, lightly stretch, then go to treadmill for the C25K which includes a 5 minute warmup and cool down. Afterwards, I do a very thorough stretch routine...runners stretches, quads, calves, feet, figure fours for my hips, spine. I do strength training at least 2 days a week, including core. I should do core every day, but....I'm not. I'll try!

I do think my head is messing with me. To the poster who said some days you can run 20 and the next 5 seems hard - I soooo agree with you. I may need to adjust my defeatest attitude but I want to progress without pain. I may repeat runs until I feel ready to move on. But I don't want to be a C25K dropout. And please don't let me scare anyone off...!!! I am determined to figure out a way to make this work for me....I'm going to read some of these links, etc. too.

Thanks so much for the support!!!

I wonder if you would consider slowing down considerably? like down to 13m/m. the most often appreciated advice I give about c25k is to do the run part as SLOWLY as you can. Do not go fast. do not. You are NOT learning speed at this point, you are learning endurance. You cannot learn endurance if you are going too fast to do the time. GO SUPER SLOWLY, even if you feel you look stupid. Once you can run 30 minutes w/o stopping then you can speed up! New runners should not be running more than 3x per week. Maybe after 5 or 6mths you can increase running/walking days but new runners need the rest. it takes a long time to build up strength for daily running. Injuries will occur, and also if you don't allow your muscles to rest and grow, you will not progress. Not progress, when you think you're working so hard, sucks.

Also, the price of your shoe has nothing to do with whether it is the appropriate shoe for your gait. You do need to know if you need a neutral shoe or a supportive shoe or something else. This is a lesson that I learned the hard way. ;) I gave away two expensive pairs of shoes in row.
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Based on everyone's advice - I'm also going to try slowing it down. I didn't find the 6MPH hard at first, but maybe it's just too fast for a beginner for the longer runs.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    6 mph is very fast for a C25K start! I run at 5 mph, right now if I try to go faster, I get winded very quickly. Try to slow yourself down by at least .5 mph and I bet you will notice a huge difference!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The only thing that allows my husband to run at all is using The Stick! No, you perverts, not that stick, this one...https://www.thestick.com/
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I started C25k last year when I was also 41 ;) I was 50 pounds overweight and very out of shape. So I can very much relate to where you're coming from. I was never a runner when I was younger and skinny, I just walked a lot and did lots of weights. So I had ZERO experience running. I started out just walking for a couple weeks and then heard about C25K. I tried it for a few weeks, but I could not follow the training plan, even after repeating the first few weeks several times...but I was determined to learn to run, so I made up my own plan as a combination of C25K, Jeff Galloway's walk/run interval program and the book "Run Your Butt Off" that someone else mentioned. I literally started out running 15 second intervals at a time and would then have to walk!

I ran 13 minute miles (or slower!), only ran 3 days per week, and only increased my time by 15-30 seconds per run. It took me about 3 months to be able to run a mile without stopping. But I continued to work on it and add mileage VERY slowly. I went from running 15 seconds at a time...to now, just over a year later, running 6 miles without needing to stop to walk. I've completed a half marathon using a run/walk interval system and finished injury-free and feeling amazing. And my fastest mile has been 9:27, although I typically run slower than that because I am more interested in distance than speed. So DON'T GIVE UP!!! Why don't you try something different?
    Almost my story exactly!

I started C25K in April and somewhere around week 4 decided that I wasn't really interested in being able to run for 30 minutes straight. I was more interested in just getting out there and doing it at a pace that was comfortable for me and would help me to keep injuries to a minimum. I've been doing a modified version of Jeff Galloway's program and ran/walked my first half marathon in mid-January. I finished under my goal time of 2:45 and felt great that day and the next. No injuries or soreness at all. I have two more scheduled for this Spring along with a 15K and a few 5Ks.

To the OP, 6 MPH is not slow for a beginner. Remember that you should be able to carry on a conversation while running. That's one of the "rules" of the program. One thing about running on a treadmill, there's no excuse for going too fast since you are in control of the speed. :smile: The point isn't to get there fast, it's to get there at all. Slow down to around 5 or 5.5 MPH and give that run another try.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The obvious comments ... pace yourself, don't push too hard, eat right before/after, yada yada yada ... all true.

But I feel I need to say something ...

You're doing well!
    You're in the norm!

Your words "I did it but ... "

Just stop there ... you did it! :) The program pushes you, and from a former couch potato who thought that 60 seconds of running was going to kill me right there ... you can do this.

It's not easy ... some weeks are just rough ... some weeks my body just isn't running on all cylinders ... but it's all in the norm. Just don't stop ... maybe slow your pace down (possibly) ... but you're hardly the worst runner :) ...

I recall a recent run where I was only a couple miles in (now short for me, the former I-Will-Die-In-60-Seconds guy) and I had to stop ... I was like, what? ... I haven't "stopped" a run in a LONG time ... but it happens ... a week or two later I was feeling the best ... it's ok. You'll get there.
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with day 3 of week 1!!! Repeated it 4 times so far. So well done for making it as far as you have.