Peanut butter help

Options
I've asked around and a lot of people tell me that natural peanut butter is good for you so I went out and bought Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter and I'm obsessed. My issue is that its really high in calories. I want to add it to celery and I love to have it on a peanut butter sandwich but it feels like every time I eat it I go over my calories that day. Does anyone know of a lower calorie natural peanut butter or if I should just stop trying to eat it altogether?

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    They have reduced fat PB and stuff like PB2, but I don't know about the taste. I personally just have it less often and enjoy it when I do.
  • the2aces
    the2aces Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think this stuff is delicious - http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/index.php - though it is noticeably sweeter than regular PB.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I just fit in about 1-3 tablespoons per day. There are lower fat, lower calorie alternatives like like PB2 and "Better Than Peanut Butter", but I've never bothered since I don't want to find a substitute for something that is wonderful :)
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    They have reduced fat PB and stuff like PB2, but I don't know about the taste. I personally just have it less often and enjoy it when I do.
    ^^ This!
    I like Earth Balance peanut butter. It isn't any lower calories, but it is healthier. I just don't eat it all the time, maybe once a week or so. The only ingredients are Peanuts, flaxseed, agave syrup, palm fruit oil and salt. I personally don't like to do reduced fat items on most things, because they tend to contain more chemicals.
  • fearlessbetz
    fearlessbetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've been using Maranatha - All Natural No Stir Almond Butter - Creamy. It's about 190 cals for 2 Tbsp. To me it tastes just like peanut butter and provides that protein and good fat. I like it before or after a workout on a bagel thin. I didn't care for reduced fat peanut butter, so this is a good alternative. I switched it for my husband's peanut butter and he didn't even notice the difference!
  • LeiaBeekley
    LeiaBeekley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Can you buy the Better'n Peanut Butter at the grocery store or do I need to order it from this website?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Better N' Peanut Butter. The texture is a little runnier than regular PB, and it is pretty sweet, but I really like it. It comes from Trader Joe's.
  • Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been using Krema Natural Crunchy. It still has 190 cals for 2Tbsp, but the only ingredient is Peanuts.
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I use PB2 - really low calories and tastes good.
    45 calories per serving
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I was very hesistant to try the peanut butter alternatives, I buy freshly ground almond butter from my grocery store. It tastes great, no extra sugar, etc... I have 2 tablespoons w/ my oatmeal daily.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Being a huge PB fanatic this was a big issue for me when I first started watching what I ate.

I tried Better n Peanut butter and used it for about two jars worth and couldn't take it anymore. It didn't *really* taste like peanut butter, got really hard in the fridge, had a funny after taste and texture and was pricey. I also made the giant mistake of trying their "chocolate" version. That one was so gross I never had anymore after my sample tasting from the jar.

Then I found PB2 and it was love at first bite. If you grew up on Jif and Skippy type peanut butters it's probably going to be a harder transition. But having grown up on natural peanut butters, it was a perfect fit for me. I love the ability to mix it to any consistency I want or even to use it in its powdered form. I eat it almost every day on toast with breakfast. But I also have used it in baking for frosting, cupcake fillings, and more.

I've also been known to mix it with more than the normal amount of water (hot) to make an instant peanut butter sauce for ice cream or other desserts. I've even done it that way, poured it into a bag with some air popped popcorn and had quite the decadent delight. :)

It's even made its way into savory dishes. Add some spices and you've got a quickie peanut sauce. Even used it in a pinch in hummus when I didn't have tahini and the hubby never noticed. :)

That said, I still keep natural peanut butter on hand. Partially for the hubby and partially because I will still occasionally enjoy the real thing when my calories and fat allow (or need) it for the day. There's nothin wrong with regular PB, it's just making sure it fits into your day. For me, PB2 does that better on a daily basis and tastes amazing, so I use that more. But I'll never stop my PB love ever. :)
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    PB is high cal because peanuts are high calorie. Get a natural peanut butter that is just peanuts, without added sugars or oils. Then portion your peanut butter correctly and work it into your day (pre-plan your days so you don't go over). Keep in mind, a 1 TBSP serving is a guideline, the true serving is usually around "15 g" and 1 TBSP if you are heavy handed can easily be more than 15g. If you don't have a food scale, I highly recommend you get one and measure your servings. On average I have found I accidentally spoon out 20g of peanut butter, sometimes 25g unknowingly within the same TBSP measure. So be mindful :)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I just fit in about 1-3 tablespoons per day. There are lower fat, lower calorie alternatives like like PB2 and "Better Than Peanut Butter", but I've never bothered since I don't want to find a substitute for something that is wonderful :)
    ^^^This (although I have tried PB2 and it's good, but not the same)
    Also...

Today is National Peanut Butter Lover's Day! Enjoy!