salt/cheese craving recipes and food

Options
shmait
shmait Posts: 20 Member
Anyone have any ideas for what to eat when you have salt/cheese cravings? I feel like i need to get better with this. Dry edamame has been good, and wasabi peas. Weight watchers string cheese is also good but i end up eating like, 4.

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm....cheese...... when I have a cheese craving I just eat a slice of 2% sliced cheese. None of the fat free stuff - that stuff is gross and could be used to hold down roofing shingles.
  • shmait
    Options
    true! tastes like nothing cheese.

i think the less i eat the more i will get used to not having it. the book skinny ***** talks about addictive agents found in cheese...I wasnt shocked. def an addict haha
  • cestout
    cestout Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love the Laughing Cow light cheese wedges. Only 35 calories and come in a variety of flavors. That definitely helps me. I eat that with cucumber, carrots and celery sticks.
  • GlfWid0
    GlfWid0 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I usually grab a chunk of feta...Mmmm
  • AlaskaLily
    Options
    I am a cheese queen! I am following a paleo diet so I allow myself up to 2 ounces of full fat cheese/day (yeehaw), so I don't limit anything. BUT, I have recently discovered Farm Fresh Cheese...it is a soft feta-like cheese that comes in a brick. It is only 40 cals for an ounce and it is f-ing AMAZING! I fold it into omelets, put it on salads, melt it on my cheese burgers. YUM!

So yeah, if you have a craving...go with the full fat stuff! Its worth it as a treat!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    When you seem to be craving food it usually correlates with craving a vitamin or nutrient not the actual food itself. Your body doesn't know chocolate is chocolate, it knows what its made of.

http://www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    In Jo Stepaniak's "Uncheese Cookbook" there is a recipe for vegan nacho cheese that I have tweeked to suit a variety of dishes from Nachos to Fettuccini Alfredo. It's really low calorie. Added bonus, the full recipe uses a 1/2 cup of Nutritional Yeast - which is loaded in vitamins to put a little pep in your step. 1/2 a cup is less than 100 calories.

I've been using it on toast instead of butter. PS, it does use salt - for brekkie I use black salt from Trader Joe's which gives it a smokey bacon like flavor.
  • lexlowe
    lexlowe Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I find that the less I eat of these 'cravings' foods, the less I crave them in the long run.

That being said, for the salt cravings kale chips will do the trick. You can eat the whole tray of them and not feel guilty about it.

Cut up a bunch of kale(remove the stems), mix them up with a smidgeon of oil, lay flat on a baking sheet, sprinkle some salt on them, and bake at 350 until they are crispy.
  • shmait
    Options
    this farm fresh cheese sounds amaze.
  • shmait
    Options
    yum on the kale chips!! my dad makes these and i think puts sriracha on them to spice it up. cheap and easy thanks for the suggestion!!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I find that the less I eat of these 'cravings' foods, the less I crave them in the long run.

Agreed... here is an interesting article about your body having a "sugar tantrum" and much like giving into a small child when they throw a fit, your body never learns it's lesson.

http://whole9life.com/2010/05/sugar-tantrums/

I think it is probably applicable to most cravings.