free weights vs machines?

Options
13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I used just the machines for awhile and when I finally did move on to free weights I was sore, in ways I didn't think I would be! That told me that the free weights were definitely isolating muscles that the machines just weren't hitting. I use both now. I love the free weights!
    Actually you just "involved" more muscles with free weights. Synergist muscles (muscles that accompany and agonists and antagonists when lifting) get activated more with free weights.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    No way! Free weights are far superior to the machines. The machines limit your range of motion, tend to be isolation exercises, put your body into unnatural positions and can be downright dangerous causing injury.

I've definitely injured my shoulder on the machines. I didn't realize that was the cause until I happened to do a little fitness reading. Frowny face.
  • djsysstem
    djsysstem Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am sure some of people have already mentioned it here, but machines are solely for keeping the form without hyperextending your muscles where you could hurt yourself, which may happen if you are not sure how to use free weights. I personally do a mix of both, with more emphasis on free weights. Once you learn to keep good form with machines, try the same with free weights (but much lighter) and keep increasing the weight. Free weights are better in my opinion as they tend to involve more muscles, while machines are limited to a certain range of motion.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    They both have their advantages and disadvantages. It will depend on the person mostly though. While compound lifts with free weights are superior to doing isolated work on machines, there will be some people who can't do compound lifts due to injury, ROM, grip strength (say from a stroke), etc.
    I personally like to train my clients on free weights if they can do them, but in my gym we have a huge number of people on rehab, physical therapy, and many seniors who balancing isn't very sound. I don't see them doing squats or bent over rows, but they could do a leg press and seated row.
    Find out what works for you best. The key to exercise is DOING IT and regardless of how great an exercise may be in opinion, if it ain't getting done, it ain't the best exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

We put a lot of people on machines for the reasons you described. I try to get the best of both worlds with some of my beginner seniors. I give them a core program on machines so they can feel comfortable and safe and start seeing some strength gains. I also include some functional exercises that are lighter in weight, or use just body weight in the beginning (Ex: body weight squats, step ups, rear deltoid flys on a cable machine like the Kinesis while standing on one leg, etc). That way, they are getting some functional training and compound movements without having to depend entirely on these for their strength improvement.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    They both have their advantages and disadvantages. It will depend on the person mostly though. While compound lifts with free weights are superior to doing isolated work on machines, there will be some people who can't do compound lifts due to injury, ROM, grip strength (say from a stroke), etc.
    I personally like to train my clients on free weights if they can do them, but in my gym we have a huge number of people on rehab, physical therapy, and many seniors who balancing isn't very sound. I don't see them doing squats or bent over rows, but they could do a leg press and seated row.
    Find out what works for you best. The key to exercise is DOING IT and regardless of how great an exercise may be in opinion, if it ain't getting done, it ain't the best exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

We put a lot of people on machines for the reasons you described. I try to get the best of both worlds with some of my beginner seniors. I give them a core program on machines so they can feel comfortable and safe and start seeing some strength gains. I also include some functional exercises that are lighter in weight, or use just body weight in the beginning (Ex: body weight squats, step ups, rear deltoid flys on a cable machine like the Kinesis while standing on one leg, etc). That way, they are getting some functional training and compound movements without having to depend entirely on these for their strength improvement.
    With you on this. We have 3 senior fitness classes, with chairs involved, to help promote strength training to seniors and have to remember that a 5lb weight could be extremely heavy to some.

IDEA Fitness member