Disney & Obesity

Options
JGT2004
JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
Interesting article I just came across. Still not sure where I stand on the issue but find it thought-provoking.....

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/46591027

"Disney Changes Obesity Exhibit After Complaints"

Edit: spelling

Replies

• the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I saw that too, but came away with no opinion. I would like to see the actual exhibits though.

JM
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I think they should have kept the exhibit but maybe changed the animated character names so they were more "politically" correct. Obesity in children is on the rise and who better to bring it to parents (and kids) attention than Disney. And as someone who frequents the Disney Parks, I am always saddened to see so many children that clearly have weight problems....
  • KJVBear33
    KJVBear33 Posts: 628
    Options
    I think it shouldn't go anywhere near the subject to be honest.........Disney wants to show that they care? Well, then, they need to promote exercise, healthy eating habits, and have characters in the exhibit that kids can look up to. If they want to inform the public in a different and innovative way about the obesity rate in young children..........they need to get all the facts before they start thinking of what characters to make up and what they want to have them doing.

Just saying that eating junk food and sitting on the couch watching tv is the reason why kids are obese these days is absolutely ridiculous. Some may have thyroid issues or other medical conditions whose meds make them gain weight for cryin out loud.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that they were insensitive..........a little uninformed maybe.........but still.........I say promote the healthy lifestyle instead of focusing on the negative if you don't do what you should do........ie eating healthy and exercising daily

I remember when I was younger they had Mousercize..........they had a fitness program that had Disney's characters working out.........why not bring it back?
  • KJVBear33
    Options
    Thought that this was a good topic so............BUMP for the OP
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I think it shouldn't go anywhere near the subject to be honest.........Disney wants to show that they care? Well, then, they need to promote exercise, healthy eating habits, and have characters in the exhibit that kids can look up to. If they want to inform the public in a different and innovative way about the obesity rate in young children..........they need to get all the facts before they start thinking of what characters to make up and what they want to have them doing.

Just saying that eating junk food and sitting on the couch watching tv is the reason why kids are obese these days is absolutely ridiculous. Some may have thyroid issues or other medical conditions whose meds make them gain weight for cryin out loud.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that they were insensitive..........a little uninformed maybe.........but still.........I say promote the healthy lifestyle instead of focusing on the negative if you don't do what you should do........ie eating healthy and exercising daily

I remember when I was younger they had Mousercize..........they had a fitness program that had Disney's characters working out.........why not bring it back?

How many kids are obese because they're sick as opposed to sick because they're obese? C'mon dude. I'll qualify my statement with the fact that I was 200+ pounds at the age of 12 for sure and maybe 10. I'd like to assault parents who let their children become obese. Being an adult in that condition is hard enough. The looks, the judgment, etc. Kids are 10x worse because they aren't afraid to verbalize it and lord it over your head day in and day out. Nutrition and exercise classes should be MANDATORY for every parent who brings an obese child in for a checkup. The state of children these days in America is pitiful.
  • KJVBear33
    Options

How many kids are obese because they're sick as opposed to sick because they're obese? C'mon dude. I'll qualify my statement with the fact that I was 200+ pounds at the age of 12 for sure and maybe 10. I'd like to assault parents who let their children become obese. Being an adult in that condition is hard enough. The looks, the judgment, etc. Kids are 10x worse because they aren't afraid to verbalize it and lord it over your head day in and day out. Nutrition and exercise classes should be MANDATORY for every parent who brings an obese child in for a checkup. The state of children these days in America is pitiful.

Woah.....not sayin that we should hide our eyes. Of course we should look at it dead on......I am saying that Disney shouldn't have to touch on it. Disney as a whole should be playful, joyful, open up a kid's imagination, to get them to believe that anything is possible.......ect ect. BUT if they are willing to touch on the subject.........and clearly they are.........I still state that it should touch more on the positives than the negatives. We all know what happens if you eat junk........thats what your body becomes........a trash can. SO therefore, if we are more positive about it..........educate on healthy lifestyles, exercise, and have characters that kids can look at (like Hurcules...ect ect) to look up to and say "I want to be just like....", then I think that they would be more apt to listen when Disney speaks on things like this.

And yes, while........what they state DOES put someone on high risk for obesity and more common with people because of how they are growing up and what the parents teach them..........there are other factors in it too and therefore should not be the only thing they choose to focus on. That is my point.

And I still think that bringing back Mousercise would be a cool idea.........