Looking for healthy rhubarb recipes

Options
TCASMEY
TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
Spring is finally here in the midwest. The rhubarb is up and will be ready for harvesting soon. I am looking for some healthier ideas to prepare rhubarb this year. Thanks!

Replies

• TCASMEY
    Options
    Spring is finally here in the midwest. The rhubarb is up and will be ready for harvesting soon. I am looking for some healthier ideas to prepare rhubarb this year. Thanks!
  • Tim964
    Tim964 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You must be further south than me - my rhubarb is only about 2 inches tall! Here are a couple recipes from eating well

Rhubarb Tart

Makes 8 servings
    ACTIVE TIME: 40 minutes
    TOTAL TIME: 2 1/4 hours
    EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

Filling
    9 cups (about 3 pounds) finely diced rhubarb (1/4-inch dice), divided
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    2 tablespoons finely chopped orange zest (see Tip)

Crust
    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/4 cup canola oil
    2-3 tablespoons ice water

1. To make the filling: Combine 6 cups rhubarb, sugar and orange zest in a wide heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer gently. Cook, stirring often to prevent scorching, until the puree has reduced to about 1 2/3 cups, 40 to 50 minutes. Transfer the puree to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
    2. To make the crust: Position rack in lower third of oven and set a large baking sheet on it; preheat to 400°F. Lightly oil a 10-inch removable-bottom tart pan or coat it with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
    3. Stir together flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Melt butter over low heat in a small saucepan. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, about 30 seconds. Pour the butter into a small bowl; stir in oil. Using a fork, slowly stir the butter-oil mixture into the dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly. Gradually stir in enough ice water so that the dough holds together and is not at all crumbly. Press the dough into a flattened disk.
    4. Place two overlapping lengths of plastic wrap on the work surface. Set the dough in the center and cover with two more overlapping sheets of plastic wrap. With a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 14-inch circle. Remove the top sheets and invert the dough into the prepared tart pan. Gently press the dough into the pan. Remove the remaining plastic wrap. Fold in the overhanging edge of the crust to form a sturdy edge, patching any thin spots with scraps.
    5. To assemble and bake the tart: Combine the raw and cooked rhubarb and spread in the crust. Place the tart pan on the preheated cookie sheet and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling bubbles at the edges. Let the tart cool to room temperature before serving.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 255 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrate; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 79 mg sodium; 419 mg potassium.

Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Folate (17% dv).

Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake

Makes 10 servings
    ACTIVE TIME: 40 minutes
    TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 10 minutes
    EASE OF PREPARATION: Moderate

Topping
    1 tablespoon dark corn syrup
    2 teaspoons butter
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons chopped pecans or walnuts
    1 pound rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (3 cups)

Cake
    3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
    1/3 cup pecans or walnuts
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 large egg whites
    2/3 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
    2 large eggs
    2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. To prepare topping: Coat a 10-inch ovenproof skillet (such as cast-iron) with cooking spray. Add corn syrup and butter; heat over low heat until butter has melted, swirling the pan to coat the bottom evenly. Remove from the heat; spread brown sugar evenly over the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle nuts over the sugar and arrange rhubarb, rounded sides down, in a circular pattern on top. Set aside.
    2. To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 375° F. Combine flour, nuts, baking powder and salt in a food processor or blender; process until finely ground.
    3. Beat 2 egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/3 cup brown sugar, beating until stiff and glossy. Set aside. (It is not necessary to wash beaters.) Beat whole eggs with the remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar in another large bowl on high speed until thickened and pale, 3 to 5 minutes. Blend in orange zest and vanilla.
    4. Whisk one-fourth of the beaten whites into the whole-egg mixture. Gently fold in half the flour mixture. Fold in the remaining beaten whites, followed by the remaining flour mixture. Spread the batter evenly over the rhubarb.
    5. Bake the cake until the top springs back when touched lightly, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges with a knife. Invert a serving platter over the cake. Using oven mitts, grasp platter and skillet together and carefully flip them over. Let the skillet sit for a few minutes to allow any caramel clinging to it to drip onto the cake. Remove the skillet. Let the cake cool for at least 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 195 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 44 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrate; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 126 mg sodium.

MAKE AHEAD TIP: Equipment: 10-inch ovenproof skillet (This cake can also be baked in an 8-inch-square glass baking dish. Heat corn syrup and butter in a small pan and brush over the bottom of the baking dish. Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes.)
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    Thanks I can't wait to try these
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes Tim964! I'm looking forward to trying them! And thanks for that nutrient info with them.
    My rhubarb is just starting to come up so I've got a little while yet.