Generally, how long do you rest shin splints?

Options
Generally, how long do you rest shin splints? I have pain in the muscle in the calf and in the front of the leg is sore to the touch. I do have brand new fitted shoes that I've only worn 2 times because it hurts so bad I can't run. I was running in bad shoes before and I run on rocky pavement. The old style road underneath what is now black asphalt on normal highways. We live in an older neighborhood. I've been resting it for 5 days and I still have a constant pain. Sometimes it is stabbing in the front with just normal everyday walking. I'm sure mine are directly related to my calf muscle becoming too tight because if I use a stick (not THE STICK) to massage it, it seems to make the pain in the front of my leg almost completely disappear. Warm soaks with Epsom salt helps and I've been stretching several times a day. I've bought a Zensah compression sleeve but I haven't received it in the mail yet. Does rest for 2 weeks seem about average?

Replies

• scweegie
    scweegie Posts: 59
    Options
    I had problems with shin splits too, which then led tendinitis. It was the cause of the wrong shoes, and running too much too fast. It took a lot of time for them to heal. I went to physical therapy and was introduced to compression socks. In PT it was all about strengthening / stretching the muscles around the area and massaging the area. Then icing, the best is freezing ice in a dixie cup, then taking the wrapping off the bottom of the cup and massaging the area with the ice. It takes a lot of time to heal, and is very frustrating.

Today I can run as long as a half marathon, but I take time to stretch the muscles, and I use a foam roller, and on my long runs I wear my compression socks.

Sounds like a little extra TLC and switching to the elliptical, bike or swimming to get your cardio.

Good luck, hang in there!
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    Thanks! I'm preparing myself to wait until they are completely healed. Hoping I heal fast! :smile:
  • mcdailey21
    Options
    If you are getting shin splints, I highly recommend that you go to your local running shop and get fitted for a shoe. Each runner has a different step and landing. I am an overpronator. My shin splints were a direct link to my step. I used to get really bad Shin Splints all through my track running days and once I started running again this past year. Once I got fitted for a proper shoe (that corrects the overpronation), the splints went away. Now, I can tell when my sneakers are getting 'worn out' because they shin splints start coming back. There isn't alot you can do for them other than heat and ice. I used the compression sleeves when I was running track; they help ease the splints while you run, but it doesn't fix the problem.

Good luck with them! Hopefully you can heal quick and get back to the pavement!
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    I do have brand new fitted shoes that I've only worn 2 times because it hurts so bad I can't run.

Thanks for the advice. I just got a new pair of shoes. :smile:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Generally, how long do you rest shin splints? I have pain in the muscle in the calf and in the front of the leg is sore to the touch. I do have brand new fitted shoes that I've only worn 2 times because it hurts so bad I can't run. I was running in bad shoes before and I run on rocky pavement. The old style road underneath what is now black asphalt on normal highways. We live in an older neighborhood. I've been resting it for 5 days and I still have a constant pain. Sometimes it is stabbing in the front with just normal everyday walking. I'm sure mine are directly related to my calf muscle becoming too tight because if I use a stick (not THE STICK) to massage it, it seems to make the pain in the front of my leg almost completely disappear. Warm soaks with Epsom salt helps and I've been stretching several times a day. I've bought a Zensah compression sleeve but I haven't received it in the mail yet. Does rest for 2 weeks seem about average?

You need to wrap your shins or use shin compressors when you run. I get MAD shinsplints if I don't wear my shin compressors. You can get them at most sports stores. I'd say wait until the pain subsides and then continue running but put something on your shins.