What time do you eat dinner?

Options
This is something I've been thinking about this week.

What time does everyone else eat dinner? Growing up, my family always had dinner at 6pm. Now that I'm working and preparing my own meals, there's been plenty of times when I sit down at 7 or 8pm for the last meal of the day. As long as I'm not guzzling down empty calories or snacking until midnight, is this perfectly healthy? I've read different things about this subject. It'd be nice to get everyone's input!

Replies

• oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Weekends is usually around 6, but during the week I end up getting home around 6:30, so it tends to be 7 or later.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that eating past 7 was a bad idea. I get out of work at 4:30, and we usually eat dinner by 5:30 or 6. I do a lot of crockpot healthy meals, so that when I get home there is little prep left.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner at 4-430. Not for any specific reason, i just go to bed early for the most part. And i dont work, so i make sure its done and ready at 4ish....i 90% of the time dont eat anything after either before bed.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Also im starving by then so eating dinner helps that
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    When you eat mattering is a myth. Calories in, calories out is what matters.

I usually eat around 8pm.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. We normally have dinner around 6:30-7 so we can get the kids to bed around 7:30. Once they're asleep, my husband and I break out the ice cream. srs. My kids are gonna hate me when they get older and figure this out.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Our whole day usually shifts up in meal times. We go out every morning for nsa ff mocha and take a "nature" drive. That puts breakfast around 10:30, so lunch around 2:00 and dinner around 8:00, but it varies day to day. Sometimes if breakfast is really late we skip lunch then have an earlier dinner. Hubby and I both work at home so that drive is important to us to get out of the house and to discuss the day's business.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    We usually eat around 9:00 p.m.
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I either eat dinner at 6:30 or 9:30 depending on if I exercise after work. It works for me - lost 30 pounds with no set dinner time (and eating an hour before bed).
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    usually eat my last meal between 10 to 11 p.m. I might eat a little bit less carbs since I won't need the fuel at that time and take a bit more of protein.
  • Arani70
    Arani70 Posts: 84
    Options
    9 - 10pm! I like late dinners
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    7pm
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on my day, when im working all days it tends to be around 8:30-9pm. Some days its 7.30pm!

the later it gets i somehow just loose my appetite, but regardless i need to eat whatever the meal im having because no point starving your body! don't be too worried about eating late as long as its not eat at like 10pm and go sleep 10:30pm!
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. Sometimes I eat with the kids between 5-6, sometimes I wait and eat with my husband, which could be anywhere between 7-10.
  • reneesigmon1
    Options
    Well I have two growing boys and I try and get them in bed by 9:30. Therefore, i try and have dinner done by 6:30 in the evenings. This will allow for them time to get homework completed and play outside. Then if they want a snack around 8:30 that is cool. They typically have a bowl of ice cream or popcorn. On the weekends, it is a different story, because here in Corpus Christi TX, we are outside, fishing, swimming , playing tennis, hiking, etc. Dinner just depends on what time we get ready. I do not think that it matters what time you eat, as long as you burn calories during the day. I am not sure, however when I stick to working out I lose weight. Good Luck
  • Melysa1988
    Melysa1988 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. Sometimes I eat with the kids between 5-6, sometimes I wait and eat with my husband, which could be anywhere between 7-10.

This is exactly what i was gonna write.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. Mondays I have my triathlon class at 8 so I like to eat by 6. The rest of the week is dictated by soccer practices - both kids play all year 'round - and family activities.
  • ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options
    I do not eat dinner past 8PM.

If I get the snack attack, I have an apple or grapes, but usually a glassful of water stops me from eating since it fills me back up.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't cause you digestive distress or sleep issues/etc, then you have nothing to worry about pertaining to how late you eat. The whole concept of your metabolism slowing down and all the food turning to fat is both incorrect and largely irrelevant in big picture.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Typically anywhere from 9:30pm to 11:30 pm.