Fitness or Weight?

Options

Replies

• dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'd LOVE to look like a competition chick, but not really sure how to eat or workout to look that way. So until I figure that out I'm just trying to get rid of my spare tire.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Both. Because at my weight you just can't have one without the other. I really just want to be healthy. HEALTHY is my bottom line even if my bottom never gets into a size 6. I will take healthy and happy. :heart:
  • margaretmillen
    Options
    Absolutely FITNESS; toned muscles and all around health is the most important thing... Plus losing weight will happen as a result of good fitness and healthy eating.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to get healthy for a while and knew that my weight was a big factor in my being UNhealthy.

I could still lose more weight but I am ok with where I am at now. I just want to improve my fitness/health so that can do more things like run a half marathon without any walking in 2:45, play soccer again, learn to play tennis, be comfortable in a swimsuit to take my son to the water park... you know normal stuff!? LOL :smooched:
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, it was all about weight. FOr the first year, it was simply about getting the scale to go down. Then, sort of magically, I began to notice that the more I ran and worked out (to lose weight) the more I cared about what went into my body. I stopped resisting brown rice and whole wheat products .... and over the next year it has just become all about health and fitness. Each month I seem to incorporate more healthy changes and it is easier and easier once it is not about the number but about the lifestyle choices. Now it is about fitness/lifestyle change forever... and I am actually excited to see what happens next! :wink:
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I don't care what the scale says...I'm not even aiming for an ultimate number goal. I mean I guess I SORT OF am, but ultimately I want an athletes body...I want muscles baby!

I do aim for numbers when it comes to my mini goals, but that's cause I have no clue what I'm doing. lol I only recently thought about how I will actually GET those muscles because I thought I needed to do tons of cardio and stuff lose all the fat THEN gain muscle, but then I lost some weight via exercise and eating less and I'm not liking my body though it's smaller. I now realize it's cause I've lost some of my muscle and muscle is what makes people look so dern good! I want THAT!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Definitely fitness. The weight naturally follows.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Which is more important to you? A specific number on the scale or a body that is defined and burns a ton of calories? Which one are you and why?

Both are important to me, because both are important for health. I exercise because I want to be healthy, which is the same reason I lost weight. But I don't obsess over the number on the scale or body definition. As long as I'm not saggy, not overweight and all my health tests and checkups are good, I'm a happy camper.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Fitness for sure.
    But that dumb scale is always in the back of my mind, its hard to overcome worrying about the scale. its just one dumb number. But we've taught ourselves to focus too much on it. its haunting. For instance, I weigh 10lbs more now than I did at my lowest last Fall, but I'm in much better shape now. Weight still pulls at me some times, but I'm learning to focus on BF% and measurements.
  • claire7090
    Options
    Both - it about being healthy for me. So I had to reduce my weight because I wanted to fall within the healthy BMI band (I now have a BMI of 24) and I wanted to tone my body so I had to also go to the gym and get fitter! I am now so pleased with the results and have genuinely changed my lifestyle - I still count calories (but allow myself 1650 a day now I am maintaining) and I still go to the gym twice a week and do a fitness class once a week.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    It's about both for me. I don't need to be ripped or anything, but I definitely want the definition. So I guess for me, it's about body fat and having a healthy, active, fun lifestyle? :)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I can lie all I want but it is about weight for me. I'm trying to make it about fitness, I tell myself over and over it is all about muscle mass and looking good. But that scale and the way I feel when I see one number compared to another, I can't deny I want a smaller number.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Fitness by far. If you eat and train to be fit the BF% and scale will work themselves out over time.

And this is the whole point to my post. I see so many people get stuck on a number that they forget weight won't determine how you look in a bathing suit but body fat will.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    For me it's definitely WEIGHT. Like, how much weight I can lift on a bar.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For me it's definitely WEIGHT. Like, how much weight I can lift on a bar.

LOVE IT!!!!

BTW, sick picture.
  • BlueEyesXoXo
    Options
    Fitness. I love the feeling of getting stronger!
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Right now it's weight. Once I'm down to my goal I'll focus more on fitness and health but right now I just want to be smaller.

This! But focussing on losing the weight through exercising and eating less is helping with the fitness :)
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    You don't look at someone and say "wow they look light"

You say "wow, they look fit"

So fitness definitely!!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I want to be healthy and fit. So I obviously want to get down to a healthy weight and have a body that can accomplish the fitness goals that I want to do. But if I don't look "thin" or whatever, I am happy. I want to look fit, not skinny.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Fitness, for sure. I want to be strong and fast, and look like it. :smile:

I focused heavily on losing the weight at first, but now that I'm approximately in my goal range, I'm more focused on fitness (it was always there, but now it's where my goals are.)