Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Does anyone have suggestions on accurate but reasonably priced heart rate monitors? I am interested in possibly getting one, but have absolutely no idea on which are better. I'm not looking to spend a fortune.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• sportsciencegirl
    sportsciencegirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know this - been close to getting the Polar FT7, but I'm wondering what other people think of it?

Accuracy etc? Obviously calorie burn will be specific to the individual based on height/weight/age/HR etc but If there's a generalisation out there on whether the calorie burn is effective?

I did an 8mile bike ride today and used GPS on phone and the mapmyride app. Burned about 340 calories but I know it's really not that accurate at all and doesn't take into consideration my weight etc

I want something that does both automatic and manual settings, and possibly one that can work with the equipment at my gym

Also - what are they like for strength training? I did 60mins of free weights but I have no idea how much I burned because obviously MFP doesn't count that because of the weights/reps/sets variations etc..
  • Karstenf
    Karstenf Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I purchased one on amazon.com made by Omron and I love it. It was only $30, and I got free shipping. It has made a huge difference in the intensity of my workouts, since it gives me an actual number to guide me. I thought the chest strap would be uncomfortable, but not at all. Just be sure to clean it regularly, as the salts from your sweat will build up and can cause irritation to the skin. The watch and monitor I just hand wash in the sink with my normal body wash, and I put the elastic strap for the monitor in a lingerie bag in the laundry. It is definitely a good investment as far as exercise equipment goes.
  • Karstenf
    Karstenf Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oh, and by the way, it syncs automatically to the Cybex machines at my gym (elliptical, treadmill, stairclimber)