Aspartame... is it really that bad?

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'll repost this, since it seemed to have been mostly ignored or missed. Your body has absolutely no problem processing aspartame, as I've explained already, here.
    Aspartame is aspartic acid + phenylalanine. Both of those are amino acids that your body needs on a daily basis anyway. They are also in every single protein source you eat. In fact, 4 oz of chicken breast contain as much aspartic acid and phenylalanine as 23 cans of diet soda.

Do some people have bad reactions to it? Sure, but millions of people have bad, sometimes instantly fatal reactions to peanuts or shellfish. Does that mean it's bad for everyone else? No.

Also, as for the "toxic chemical" during metabolism, I assume you mean either formic acid (formaldehyde) or methanol. Both are actually naturally occurring compounds in the human body, as well as found in a variety of fruits and vegetables, in higher concentrations than you'd get from a diet soda, so any article that pushes that as a negative on aspartame is scaremongering.
  • giglqueen
    giglqueen Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's really bad for me at least. It gives me migraines. I cut out Diet Pepsi, light Yoplait, and Crystal Light and I hardly get them now.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I believe moderation is key. Before I found out I was having a baby, I had 1-2 diet cokes a week. Now none, but only because I don't want to risk anything with my child. After I have my baby I'll still occasionally indulge, and not stress about it.
  • Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    IMHO - aspartame isn't good for you, but I'm basing that on my own personal experience. I was hooked on Crystal Light and suffered from hot flashes, sweating, headaches and body pain. I decided to cut it out and the results were wonderful - I feel a million times better.

That's just me - other people likely tolerate it better than others. Although I miss my crystal light, what I do now is buy fizzy water and put a splash of cranberry juice in it! Very refreshing.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but the reason that "diet soda" is bad for weight loss is because there is some evidence to suggest that your body sort of makes up for the calories it was hoping to get from the diet soda and you end up eating more of something else.
    Even if aspartame is not poison, and I'm not sure it isn't, it's not helpful for your weightloss efforts. If you need caffeine, try some of the multi-vitamins with "energy support" they usually have caffeiene or ginseng without calories or aspartame.
  • TreboryojevoL
    Options
    I do not know about the validity of this exert or that expert, I only know that for me I started all gung ho on this weight loss attempt and I was actually losing around 2 to 2.5 lbs per week, and that was drinking water only, and about 3 weeks ago I started drinking diet soda again, I did not lose any weight for that period, and that was the only thing in my routine that I had changed. I stopped drinking the diet soda last week, and this week I have lost 2 pounds so far.
    It may not be scientific, but for me it was conclusive, it may not affect some but it did me and for now it is strictly H2O!
  • duharvalgt
    duharvalgt Posts: 320
    Options
    ... there have been many topics about E-951 and it's hydrolysis substituents in the human body.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but the reason that "diet soda" is bad for weight loss is because there is some evidence to suggest that your body sort of makes up for the calories it was hoping to get from the diet soda and you end up eating more of something else.
    Even if aspartame is not poison, and I'm not sure it isn't, it's not helpful for your weightloss efforts. If you need caffeine, try some of the multi-vitamins with "energy support" they usually have caffeiene or ginseng without calories or aspartame.

hasn't hurt my weight loss a bit. I'm thinking of upping my diet coke intake to 10 cans a day. Or maybe just round up to a 12 pack so i can just buy a 12 pack each morning on my way to work.

PS- how does my body know how many calories it was hoping to get from a diet soda? I guess my body is looking to find 700-800 calories a day for the 150 cal per can it doesn't get. So, since I'm doing about 1200 calories a day, if I switch to water and stop diet coke, my body should be ok with 400-500 calories a day intake?
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.........
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I eat fake sugar all day, every day. It's the glue that binds my fat *kitten* together.
  • RGonVSH
    RGonVSH Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I took a nutrition class a couple of years ago, and the teacher, in discussing research on sugar substitutes (all of them) said that our bodies react to ALL of these products just as if we were eating sugar. Of course, they don't have the same calories, but if your body is going to go into insulin response mode, you may as well have sugar. But, if you want to lose weight, you would know you cannot drink sugary drinks all day and lose weight, right?

For me the key has been to NOT drink sweetened drinks between meals/snacks. If I am thirsty, I drink water. If I am hungry, that means I need to look at my food plan and see what isn't working.

My body needs time to process the food I have eaten and to rest.. That is why I eat my meals; then, I don't eat until it is time to eat again. For me, that is about every three hours. If I continue to sip ANY beverage besides water, then my body thinks I am still eating and that whole process of responding to food intake continues. According to the instructor of our nutrition course, sugar substitutes have the same effect on your body as drinking a drink with sugar, despite the fact that they don't have calories.

That is the primary reason that I don't use sugar substitutes, whether they are healthy ones or artificial ones. But then, I also have to face reality: I cannot consume sweetened drinks all day without paying a price for it. Water is the best choice.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm also one of those people who gets terrible headaches from Splenda. I stopped using it.

I read a book recently where the author promoted cutting back on sugar intake. He said that most artificial sweeteners (aspartame, saccharin, sucralose, etc.) aren't so good for you, while natural sweeteners (such as stevia, xylitol, erythritol) are better choices. I have been using Truvia packets (made from stevia). No headaches! There is also a soda called Zevia that has zero calories and is made with stevia. I don't drink soda, but my sister tried it & liked it. It still has that "diet soda" flavor, but at least it contains healthier ingredients than some other diet sodas..

I'm no expert, just sharing what worked for me. :smile:
  • nutsnbolts
    nutsnbolts Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can't speak for anyone else, but when I drink diet soda, I get migraines with auras. When I stop drinking diet soda, I rarely get migraines.
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I recently read that it can cause seizures.

I also read, both from a good source, that it almost didn't get approved for human comsuption becasue it causes so many diseases (you name it) in mice.

It is beyond horrible.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    For me its the blue hat
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I read that is causes short term memory loss. (I'm sorry, what were we talking about?) Seriously, though, I now drink only water and although I have no web sites or medical proof of anything I can say with certainty that I feel much better. I stopped drinking the soda before I began my weight loss, so the feeling good isn't due to the weight loss. I switched from Diet Coke to unsweet tea that supposedly had no caffeine and from that to only water. I am now a huge water fan where before I loathed the stuff. Except for protein shakes and/or juiced vegies, which I consider more eating than drinking, and the infrequent glass of champagne, I don't think I'll be drinking anything else at all for a long, long time.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I have a real sensitivity to aspartame now due to drinking quite a bit when I was younger. Now I have digestive problems when I have anything with aspartame in it.

The main issue that I have with it is that it tricks your body into thinking that insulin has entered your blood stream, but when it looks for it, it cannot find it.

My dentist was horrified when I told her I had more than 2 cans of pop a week.......Forget about the aspartame, it's more about the acid in the soda - it wears away your dental enamel faster than anything.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I took a nutrition class a couple of years ago, and the teacher, in discussing research on sugar substitutes (all of them) said that our bodies react to ALL of these products just as if we were eating sugar. Of course, they don't have the same calories, but if your body is going to go into insulin response mode, you may as well have sugar. But, if you want to lose weight, you would know you cannot drink sugary drinks all day and lose weight, right?

For me the key has been to NOT drink sweetened drinks between meals/snacks. If I am thirsty, I drink water. If I am hungry, that means I need to look at my food plan and see what isn't working.

My body needs time to process the food I have eaten and to rest.. That is why I eat my meals; then, I don't eat until it is time to eat again. For me, that is about every three hours. If I continue to sip ANY beverage besides water, then my body thinks I am still eating and that whole process of responding to food intake continues. According to the instructor of our nutrition course, sugar substitutes have the same effect on your body as drinking a drink with sugar, despite the fact that they don't have calories.

That is the primary reason that I don't use sugar substitutes, whether they are healthy ones or artificial ones. But then, I also have to face reality: I cannot consume sweetened drinks all day without paying a price for it. Water is the best choice.

sorry but your teacher was wrong. You can use a glucose meter (like diabetics use) and check your own blood sugar levels. I have one (my wife had gestational diabetes) and have tested the above "theory" several times. My body does not do any extra insulin response to diet coke.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

lol-didn-t-read-o.gif

So you're saying that you have a short attention span.

yawn.gif

And you're proud of this?