How much weight to lose to drop a pant/dress size?

Options

Replies

• mdulanto9177
    Options
    I'm 5'3...started at 282 (size 24 and 46C) and currectly 254 (size 20 and 42C)...it's different for everybody...but inches do count more than numbers...
  • garp4
    garp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think the larger the size the more "room" you have in them, and also the brand. I was in 18's from my highest of 228, until about 202 or so. My favorite 16's are Gap, and today I noticed they are a bit loose on me and I am 194. I went to the Gap's website to look up their measurements and it looks like my hips might fit their 14's, but according to the chart my waist should not even fit the 16's, so who knows!! I have been hitting the gym 5 days a week for over a month now though.

Oh, and I also noticed today that my 1x top was kinda hanging on me, so I tried on some of my old xl's, and they all fit!!
  • ohpilot
    ohpilot Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    SW: 180ish size 14
    CW: 134 size 4

:)
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Start of January I was in a size 20. This week I am in a size 16 after losing 20 lbs since then. I tend to lose in my stomach and waist first, but still have large hips and thighs.
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everybody!
  • bobbi_jo2
    bobbi_jo2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the bigger you are the more there is between sizes. For example, if you went from 250-220, you may only drop one size, even though its 30 pounds. But when you get into the smaller ranges, then its typically 10 pounds. Like going from 150-140 should be around a size difference. So it takes more initially to drop sizes but once you start getting in those smaller ranges, then the sizes should change more quickly.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have a lost 11 pounds total (only 7 since I started on MFP) I began at 156 (5'4") and am now 145 I can barely squeeze into the next size down. I'd say it depends on your body, I gain all over which is ncie when you gain but sucks when you lose. I'll have to lose at least 7 more pounds before the next size is comfortable, I dont' like tight pants.
  • lucyholt1
    Options
    I bought a pair of size 7 Arizona jeans at JCP when I was 126# in October. I *gained* about 5 pounds and those size 7 jeans are too big on me so I bought a pair of size 5 Arizona jeans at JCP.

Weight is kind of meaningless. :smile:

Just out of curiosity what is a size 7 in UK sizes? I always thought US sizes were in multiples of 2's just like UK sizes but that they were 2 sizes smaller (so a UK 10 would be a US 6)?
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've always wondered what the odd numbers in American dress sizes meant. I know that a US 4/6 is UK 8/10, so I always assumed you just added 4 to get the UK size, but then I see these odd numbers and it confuses me haha.
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    I'm pear shaped and tend to lose cms from my waist and nowhere else much of the time (need to change up my exercises to shift it). I've lost 20lbs and gone from a UK 16 to between a 12 and 14. Just trying to get to a shape where I'm comfy in size 12 jeans now and that'll do me! On top I've stayed around a 10-12.
  • ShellBelle6
    ShellBelle6 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Odd #s in US clothingis the junior/teen department. Some people just find these cuts fit better for their body.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Well, I've gone from a size 24 to a size 18, and my 18s are starting to get loose.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the bigger you are the more there is between sizes. For example, if you went from 250-220, you may only drop one size, even though its 30 pounds. But when you get into the smaller ranges, then its typically 10 pounds. Like going from 150-140 should be around a size difference. So it takes more initially to drop sizes but once you start getting in those smaller ranges, then the sizes should change more quickly.

THIS!

When I started from my highest (235), it took me losing over 25 lbs before I found myself able to fit the next size down. Now at 169, I am seeing pants size drop after I lose around 12 lbs. This can be more or less depending on your body shape though, and where you tend to lose weight. I am pear shaped, and tend to lose in my upper body more than my lower body.
  • TiffanyAching
    TiffanyAching Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    22lb down so far and still in the same clothes. but i've gone from worrying the seams to pretty baggy. i know i bought my next size smaller jeans when i was 14lbs down from where i am now, so looking forward to getting back in those soon! that's when it will start getting noticeable too. and also i think why i managed to put sooooooo much weight back on quickly without properly registering it. 30+lb but only one size. they're all going in the bin the second i'm out of them this time, and never buying anything with an elasticated waist ever again! apparently i can't be trusted lol
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'll be looking forward to that 30 lb mark. It seems like that's what I'll have to lose to get out of these size 18's. With a 15lb loss, my face has gotten smaller and my pant legs feel a little looser but everything else feels the same. I wish the gut would go first! LOL!!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    This is how it worked out for me:

Starting Jean Size: Tight fitting 22
    Starting Shirt Size: Tight fitting 3x

Current Jean Size: 14, Normal fitting but once they stretch out after an hour, they are pretty loose
    Current Shirt Size: XL, sometimes 2X only if it runs really small

Goal Jean Size: 8-10
    Goal Shirt Size: M-L

So basically its around 8 sizes for 60 pounds. I am sure that has something to do with the fact I am alot toner now too.
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    It really depends how your body loses weight. i'm 5'9'' and I lost 34-37 pounds (depends on the day) and went from not fitting my 14s to now in a size 8 and 6 depending on the brand. i think it varies too depending on muscle tone and what shape you are. =)
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    I've lost 30 lbs so far, which puts me around 272 lbs. I started as a 22 and I can kinda get into a 20 in some pants now but I'm not pushing it. Also, I'm 5'8".
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    It was about 15 pounds for me before I went down a dress size.
  • gettingfitmomof3
    Options
    I've lost 22 pounds and have gone down one size from 18 to 16. I am kind of in between sizes though, the 16 are a little loose but 14 are still too tight. I am only 4 foot 9 so I think it will be really slow going from size to size.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!