Could it really happen to me?

I am really new to this site, but not new to being overweight. I definitely would never say what I am about to say except on this site. Why, because no one can see me and if no one responds or helps I will eave it as no one saw my post. I have a goal of 100 lbs and i want to lose a significant amount by July. I am planning a trip to Miami to see my best friends from college who I haven't seen in years, and last time i saw them I was a size 16, now I am a 22. Not only that they are fitness freaks and have bodies to die for and one even runs a fitness boot camp and gym. On top of all that I want to go out and lay on the beach and not cover up or feel the need to cover up. Here is the thing, I see all these posts you can do it, our if I can do it so can you? How do I know this will work? I have been motivated so many times and even joined 3 different gyms before giving up and trying to work out on my own. My sister is more overweight then I am where my older sister and dad are stick figures, cant eat what ever they want, never exercise and still never gain weight. My mother was almost 400 lbs when she decided to get gastric bypass surgery and is now a size 7. Here is my problem I have tried so many times. I never really admitted I was fat until about 4 months ago me and my good friend from high school were looking at pictures and I actually saw something i never seen before. I dont know why it took me so long to realize i was now 120 lbs bigger then I was in high school or why i didnt believe anyone when they said hey your gaining weight, you are getting a lil chubby,....so on and so on. So the point of this is how do you keep going? I know it takes a little bit to see results and sometimes its takes a whole year or more to really lose 100 lbs I do NOT want surgery and I want to enjoy exercising and go play basketball which I love to do. I guess what I am getting at is I am quick fix type of person, I compare the odds and do what is in favor. I feel like all the odds are against me and my goal is not reachable. HELP!!!!!!!!!! its really needed....

Replies

• dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    It sounds like you have the right mindset now and I believe you can do this! Just know that some days will be more of a struggle than others, but just keep on going and don't give up. Each day is a fresh start. If you mess up, that's okay but just start over again.

I wouldn't give yourself a deadline to lose the weight, instead give yourself mini goals to accomplish and reward yourself for acheiving them. Also, try not to start out too fast because it is difficult to maintain and easier to give up. Set your goals for a 0.5 to 1 pound a week weightloss. The weight will come off and you'll find it's easier to stick with.

Check in often and make friends! Log everything and drink lots of water. :)

Best of luck in your journey!
  • julie82070
    julie82070 Posts: 14 Member
    Sara,

THE ANSWER -- ABSOLUTELY! But It won't "HAPPEN TO YOU" - RATHER YOU WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN. The thing I have learned in the past couple of months using this site, is it's ALL IN MY CONTROL - nobody is going to do it for me. I either want it or I don't. I wasn't happy with my weight or body, and in the past I would join Weight Watchers, or try the latest diet (and don't get my wrong, Weight Watchers is great, but I know what they are teaching already...I just needed to get motivated and do it.) It really is as simple as BURN MORE THAN YOU CONSUME. This site makes it easy to keep track of exactly how much you're eating and burning off, so there are no excuses.

I would suggest you set a goal for July, but then break it down, and set small weekly goals, with rewards when you reach your goals. (Mine are to lose 10 lbs, have loose fitting ski pants, lose 10%, and eventually shop for a bikini and reach my goal weight by July 4th.) I joined a challenge on here, which really got me motivated - look and you will probably find people with similar goals. Find some friends on here. If there's not a challenge, START one! You can do it - you just need to believe in youself, and mostly KEEP YOURSELF ACCOUNTABLE. And don't cheat!! If you bite it, write it (that's Weight Watchers!). :) Good luck!
  • kao1114
    kao1114 Posts: 51
    You are not your friends, your older sister or your father - you are beautiful, strong you who is ready to take charge and make the little daily changes that will lead bigger life changes. Everybody and every BODY is different and you shouldn't compare your progress on MFP to anyone else on this site. If you are honest with yourself and log in your food & exercise properly, you will succeed. Don't think too far ahead - it's too overwhelming. Take it meal by meal, decision by decision, day by day. You will get there. Every day won't be perfect but you'll get there. Enjoy the small successes and reward yourself with things that make you feel good (never food) - new shoes, new scarf, new earrings...you earned them! Best of luck to you!
  • britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    Yes it could really happen to you.....as long as you want it for YOU. not because you want to impress someone or make someone else happy, do it for yourself. Take baby steps and realise that its not going to be an overnight solution, you are making a lifestyle change and that is going to take time.
    Good luck on your get healthy journey and dont stop believing in yourself :)
  • zebraspots2069
    zebraspots2069 Posts: 213 Member
    Welp, the important thing is that you are READY to do it now. You cant be concerned with everyone around you, this is something that you have to want to do for yourself. I see that a lot of the MFPer said that you should set small goals for yourself..and I agree and have done the same thing for myself. so set yourself some mini goals..and reward yourself when you reach them...

You CAN do this..and we are here to try to keep you motivated to stay on your journey to fitness and wellness....
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    set realistic goals. One reason people give up is they get disappointed that they didn't hit some crazy goals. 1-2 pounds lost a week is a great job. Don't set a goal of losing 50 pounds by July as that's probably not realistic. How about a goal of 10 pounds lost in the next 2 1/2 months?

Log all your calories and don't cheat on yourself. Try to be accurate but don't freak as all calorie counting is an estimate anyway.

Stick to it. When you get down, post around here and SOMEBODY will boost you up.

Come back and read the comments to your post here and see how easy getting support is.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    set realistic goals. One reason people give up is they get disappointed that they didn't hit some crazy goals. 1-2 pounds lost a week is a great job. Don't set a goal of losing 50 pounds by July as that's probably not realistic. How about a goal of 10 pounds lost in the next 2 1/2 months?

Log all your calories and don't cheat on yourself. Try to be accurate but don't freak as all calorie counting is an estimate anyway.

Stick to it. When you get down, post around here and SOMEBODY will boost you up.

Come back and read the comments to your post here and see how easy getting support is.
    This!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    You just have to change your lifestyle. It will become habit. And eventually you will realize the new lifestyle is much better than the old. You will be happier, healthier. You'll notice the small things that you couldn't do before. And before you know it, the way of life before will be a thing of the past.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Sara,

THE ANSWER -- ABSOLUTELY! But It won't "HAPPEN TO YOU" - RATHER YOU WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN. The thing I have learned in the past couple of months using this site, is it's ALL IN MY CONTROL - nobody is going to do it for me. I either want it or I don't. I wasn't happy with my weight or body, and in the past I would join Weight Watchers, or try the latest diet (and don't get my wrong, Weight Watchers is great, but I know what they are teaching already...I just needed to get motivated and do it.) It really is as simple as BURN MORE THAN YOU CONSUME. This site makes it easy to keep track of exactly how much you're eating and burning off, so there are no excuses.

I would suggest you set a goal for July, but then break it down, and set small weekly goals, with rewards when you reach your goals. (Mine are to lose 10 lbs, have loose fitting ski pants, lose 10%, and eventually shop for a bikini and reach my goal weight by July 4th.) I joined a challenge on here, which really got me motivated - look and you will probably find people with similar goals. Find some friends on here. If there's not a challenge, START one! You can do it - you just need to believe in youself, and mostly KEEP YOURSELF ACCOUNTABLE. And don't cheat!! If you bite it, write it (that's Weight Watchers!). :) Good luck!

^^^ This!! It can happen to you, but only if you work hard to get it. This site is awesome and makes calorie counting as easy as possible, but it is still hard work. You need to be in charge of your health neither this site or others can do it for you.

Good luck. You CAN do it!
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    and read the threads in the success stories. It's really amazing to read ones from somebody who's lost 100 or 200 or 300 pounds. If there are people out there who can lose 300 pounds, then you and I can lose whatever amount we want. Well, I can't lose 300 pounds as I don't weigh that much but you know what I mean......
  • hi sara.....you can do this if you have a plan and a goal. i am not on here to lose wt but to stay healthy. a friend of mine was significantly overwt about a yr and a half ago. she started using this site to make sure she ate healthy along w/ her daily exercise routine. she even used a trainer for the first few months to ensure she stick to the exercise. her family was not very supportive of her but all of her friends including me were her support. today she is 120lbs lighter and is in great health. she still has a bit more to go but she is on her way. this goes to show that it can be done. you too can do it. i would be glad to support you and help you make positive food choices if you like. :smile:
  • feellikerain
    feellikerain Posts: 46 Member
    I agree with what everyone else has said. What's important is that you have now realized what needs to be done! I can say that I found myself in a similar situation recently. What got me jump-started was getting on the Optifast program, which is basically a "liquid" diet. Now before you say "Ew, unhealthy!" and run away, it's closely monitored by my doctor whom I see once a week and has all the nutrition value I need in a day. It's not cheap and may not be right for you, but might be worth looking into? Just a suggestion. Even if that's not something you're interested in, losing weight is all about keeping up your motivation!! Make sure you surround yourself with people who are going to support you! If your mother has gone through this, she might have some great advice for you as well. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    a quick suggestion- measure yourself. when i first started i lost a good amount of weight the first week, then nothing for two weeks, then i lost again, then nothing for a couple of weeks. sometimes it got depressing when the scale wasn't moving. but i had taken my measurements and they showed results that the scale couldn't and that helped keep me motivated. i only re-measure once a month. remember that weight loss is not linear, there will be good weeks, ok weeks, and weeks where nothing happens- don't let it discourage you it is all part of the process.

i lost my first 20 lbs by walking my dogs and following the mfp program! you can do it too!! :drinker:
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    the success stories help a lot! and if you add people who are like you that have already lost that 100 lbs it helps! i went thru when i rejoined and added those that I liked reading their blogs and the like. it is so much better to lose it without any surgery. please go thru my friends list and add those that are similar to you! you can do this. it just takes time. you can lose a signifcant amount by july. not 100 mind you, but a good amount. do not give up! we are here to support you!
  • koumbay
    koumbay Posts: 62 Member
    Welcome to Mfp!! I have a very similar thought pattern to what you wrote, motivation is always hard during weight loss, one thing that I try to say is 1 day at a time and don't give up! I find the best thing I've done is join challenges, I am doing 1 a month and then I break it down into a daily thing. I'm on to my 3 Ed challenge and most days I'm still motivated!! You have to do this for yourself and try not to compare to others. Everyone is different! Good luck on your journey, you can do this!!
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    I dont know about the "happen to you" part, but you can definately make it happen for yourself. I've gone from a 22/24 to a 12/14 in around 6 months. Its hard work and you have to really want to do it for yourself, but you can make it happen. You just have to want it enough to put forth the effort everyday.
  • FitN50s
    FitN50s Posts: 179 Member
    Sara,

^^^ This!! It can happen to you, but only if you work hard to get it. This site is awesome and makes calorie counting as easy as possible, but it is still hard work. You need to be in charge of your health neither this site or others can do it for you.

Good luck. You CAN do it!

This! Again!

You can do it, but only if you believe you can and you take the steps. It's not always easy, but I honestly believe that if you are motivated and you get educated you will succeed. Log everything you eat and drink. I try to log before I eat, it helps me decide if I really want it. Check out the success stories and see how other people have been successful. It's amazing to see some of the transformations that have "happened" to people. Take each day one at a time. Don't stress about what's coming up or how long it will take. If you truly work to stay on track every day, just for today, those days will be a chain that gets you where you want to be.
  • missy3479
    missy3479 Posts: 30
    You CAN do this. Do not get discouraged! I will be the first to say I know how it feels to be over weight. It has taken me almost 9 years to lose 375 pounds. Yes you seen that right. I have struggled and I won't lie. Having a great support system is what you need. Being hard on yourself will always set you back in the end. Baby steps is a big part in this. I do not expect to see you go out tomorrow morning to run a 5k however tomorrow omit something that you eat daily. Get rid of fried foods sodas. Just cutting back on these type of things will help you out tremendously. If you want private message me and I will help you. I never had that great of a support system until I met my husband. Good luck!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    yes it can happen for you, but I agree with others when they say it just doesn't happen you make it happen. The first step is learning what you have put into your body all those years that made you gain the weight. Second step is putting together a plan that will make it the easiest for you to lose weight, be it by exercising more, eating less, or both. I prefer both the results will come quicker. I stay motivated by looking at old pictures of myself. I stay motivated everytime I go up a flight of stairs and am not winded. I stay motivated by all the little comments on my MFP page from my friends on here. If you are dedicated and being truthful in your diary you will lose the weight.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Yes, it can be done!! It is all up to you. Make the decision and stick with it. Understand that to do this naturally will take time. Feel free to add me if you need support!