If you go to church...

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
Do they have a sheet in your pew where you can sign in when you're there? Say whether or not you're a member, guest or took communion?

We're having an enlightening conversation at work... That's all I'm curious about. Not starting a religious debate, promise :)

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I was raised Mormon (LDS). They never had any kind of formal sign in. But SOMEone will notice you're new and pounce.

Yea, I'm a heathen now...cheers! :drinker:
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Why would you need to sign that you took communion? Is some of the sacrificial wine missing?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Nope. All they do is a head count (presumably while taking the offering)... the only time you have to fill something out (and even then it's optional) is a guest form in the bulletin... and we don't take communion often. Actually, I can't remember the last time I recieved communion. :ohwell:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    We take down information, and give information about our church to visitors, but I've never heard of a "sign-in sheet."
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Why would you need to sign that you took communion? Is some of the sacrificial wine missing?

I don't really get this... but I believe it is for church's that practice closed communion (meaning you aren't supposed to take communion if you aren't a member of the church you're visiting).
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Every church I've ever attended has a little slip in the bulletin where you can fill in your name address, what you're interested in (groups, choir, prayer request, etc). Never seen one that asked if you did communion or not.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Do they have a sheet in your pew where you can sign in when you're there? Say whether or not you're a member, guest or took communion?

We're having an enlightening conversation at work... That's all I'm curious about. Not starting a religious debate, promise :)

Most of the churches I have ever been to have cards that you can sign, they want you to fill them out and put them in the collection plate. I don't know how many people actually do it though.

There was one church I went to that made a big deal about wanting EVERYONE, member or not, to fill one out. I was only visiting and had no intention of filling out a card to get phone calls, mail or drop-bys. I got a dirty look from the person taking the collection plate.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I would have to go to Confession before I could receive Communion...then the priest's head would explode thus preventing anyone from receiving Communion. And that's only if the church didn't burst into flames the second I set foot inside.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I was raised catholic and now am attending a non-denominational christian church... they do a head count... in both. no sign in sheets tho'. visitor center if you want more info and get a few freebies! :) and refreshments too! :)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Ummmm....no. I don't know of any denomination that has a "sign in sheet" per se. However, some churches have cards that visitors can fill out if they would like the Pastor, a deacon, or a church member to come visit them, but it's completely voluntary and has nothing to do with keeping tabs on individual attendance. Also, tithing envelopes so the treasurer can keep track (for your benefit) of what you have given throughout the year for tax purposes. But, again, completely voluntary. I usually just put my money in the plate without putting my name on it.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I go to a very advanced Catholic Church. Every time we dip our fingers into the holy water, it registers our genetic code, and sends a notification to the Vatican on our attendance. That goes on our permanent record.

OK, I made it up.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Most of the churches I have ever been to have cards that you can sign, they want you to fill them out and put them in the collection plate. I don't know how many people actually do it though.

There was one church I went to that made a big deal about wanting EVERYONE, member or not, to fill one out. I was only visiting and had no intention of filling out a card to get phone calls, mail or drop-bys. I got a dirty look from the person taking the collection plate.

Yeah, I don't think I would have been going back to that church....visitor cards are supposed to be a voluntary thing. That's nuts....
    Options
    I would have to go to Confession before I could receive Communion...then the priest's head would explode thus preventing anyone from receiving Communion. And that's only if the church didn't burst into flames the second I set foot inside.

hahaha!!! You must be Catholic!!! :laugh:

I wish they would realize that Jesus came for people who need HIM and not for those already 'good'. :noway:
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

I don't really get this... but I believe it is for church's that practice closed communion (meaning you aren't supposed to take communion if you aren't a member of the church you're visiting).

My sister and BIL just visited a new church last week. Nobody was allowed to take communion unless you had a little blue card that you gave to the usher when exiting the pew. I'd never heard of this until she told me about it.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Now I'm even more intrigued by a card that goes in with the offering!

I am familiar with Missouri Synod and Wisconsin Synod Lutheran Church's having a little tablet in each pew that you sign when you're there. It's not like everyone does, it's not "mandatory or your burn... but you're supposed to and then the secretary records that attendance in a database.

Let's say you haven't been to church in 3 months, Pastor may send a note saying "We miss you! You're a horrible person! Get to Church!" or whatever... *LOL*
  • odusgolp
    Options

My sister and BIL just visited a new church last week. Nobody was allowed to take communion unless you had a little blue card that you gave to the usher when exiting the pew. I'd never heard of this until she told me about it.

NEVER heard of that!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I attend biker church.. nothing more than a handshake, a hug or a pat on the back. Best form of fellowship!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Nope, we just have little cards that people can fill out if they want more information or a prayer request!
  • tamamommy
    tamamommy Posts: 73
    Options
    good one
    Options
    I go to a very advanced Catholic Church. Every time we dip our fingers into the holy water, it registers our genetic code, and sends a notification to the Vatican on our attendance. That goes on our permanent record.

OK, I made it up.

hahahaha!!! I bet if they could they would! but then that's part of the sign of the antichrist right? they mark could be those computer chips they're talking about putting under our skin when we have any kind of surgery! :noway: :laugh: That would so, be, ungodly....