My office=diet killer!

Options
There is not one day that goes by without someone bring in horrible food! Today it was donuts, yesterday it was cake, and so on. I'm strong and will not fold but you think it could be kept in the break room instead of the desk next to mine? Anyone else have this to deal with? As if it's not hard enough.

Replies

• christy0623
    christy0623 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Same here!! I have been strong and haven't eaten any of it. It's getting harder to resist!
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    Yes, and co-workers ask me what MY problem is when I take thier junk to the cafeteria where I don't have to pass by it, smell it or be tempted by it.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    My office constantly brings in snacks and goodies and the like but thankfully I have some pretty severe allergies so I can't have any of the junk they bring.

I think the only solution is to look at that food and tell yourself it'll make you sick. Tell yourself this enough and you won't even want it anymore. :)

I might have a genuine excuse for not eating it but I STILL have to be the one to make the decision to say no. I know many people who eat things they're allergic to anyway and risk all sorts of nasty reactions but I'm not willing to risk my health just for that. I think you too can make that decision, even without the threat of an immediate, possibly deadly response. Think of the long term pain that one bite will cause instead.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My office is exactly the same. I started off, over a year ago, refusing anything that came my way. Now, if it's within my calorie budget, I allow it.

My fiance works with me and laughed yesterday because he got a chocolate orange cupcake a girl had made, and came to my desk offering me a bit. I said no, he pushed a bit, I said no again, and he apologised and walked off.

A few hours later, my manager bought down much smaller mini cupcakes, the same but about 1/10th of the size. They were within my calorie goal, so I ate one. Then I spent a bit of time explaining to my fiance why I'd eat a whole mini cupcake but not a smaller bite of his - I said it was about feeling satisfied. A bite of his would have felt like I was limiting myself and missing out - I love when the snacks at work come in small sizes! :tongue:
  • VeganJamiOnAMission
    VeganJamiOnAMission Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It took a while, but the people in my office now understand that I have serious goals and they don't offer me all the junk food that they bring in. They understand that I'm not gonna eat cake on each person's Birthday. I had to say no quite a few times (politely of course) before the knew that I was serious about giving up things that keep me from reaching my goals. I feel great every time someone brings in candy and I don't eat any of it. In fact, I think my healthier habits are rubbing off on them. I asked for fresh strawberries instead of cake for my birthday. Now other people have started doing the same. Just stay strong and your co-workers will understand that you have changed your ways.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    There is not one day that goes by without someone bring in horrible food! Today it was donuts, yesterday it was cake, and so on. I'm strong and will not fold but you think it could be kept in the break room instead of the desk next to mine? Anyone else have this to deal with? As if it's not hard enough.

Not as bad as yours but every Friday is snack day and there's a table loaded with junk food. Of course on days where we celebrate something it's pizza, cake, etc... I make sure I bring my own food every day and don't let myself get hungry. If you like to have a snack then bring your own snack that fits within your diet goals. Don't let yourself get hungry, that's a big key for me at least.
  • Zsquared
    Zsquared Posts: 54
    Options
    I totally feel your pain! At work they keep large bags of mini candy bars in the cupboard next to my desk and all day long co-workers come grab some and offer me some. Tuesday the bosses ordered pizza "just because" for us all. It's not easy but fitting into that smaller size or meeting one of your small goals will be so much more worth it! I'm always looking to meet healthy minded friends so feel free to add me! :)
  • Kellyffm
    Kellyffm Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    So bring healthy snacks and put them on the desk!
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I ate 4.5 cinnamon rolls that someone brought in yesterday. Please judge me and feel better about yourself! I deserve it- yikes!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Just went to the kitchen and shoved an entire cinnamon roll in my mouth started chewing it, then thought better and spit it in to a napkin. Then took a bite from and apple pastry and threw the rest away damned meeting food, I am dumping the crap in the trash before I leave today!

LOL Just posted this status then saw this thread why do they do it?!
  • mylittleguys
    mylittleguys Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. My work place has a gentleman that makes lattes and sales bagels and muffins. During christmas and thanksgiven he had pumpkin pie. It is hard not to get any of it. I am trying because that is what I gave for Lent.. the Latte guy!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Today one of the blokes brought in loads of cakes and I told him thanks but no thanks, so far I have lost the equivalent of an elephant's penis so I hope he does not mind if I give the cakes a miss
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!!!

We have a snack day once a month where particular staff member (4 at a time) bring in food, pot luck style. Today was hamburgers, bite size muffins, donuts, coffee cake, croissants, pasta salads, chicken and cheesecake.

I 'indulged' in half a mini two bite coffee cake, 1/4 of a tiny donut and two bites of chicken. Dammit.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Ditto. Always junk and pastries around. For the longest time I was the "bad guy" because I didn't partake any longer in the office treats but that's died down now too.
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I ate 4.5 cinnamon rolls that someone brought in yesterday. Please judge me and feel better about yourself! I deserve it- yikes!

YUMMY!!!

And the best part about that is...because you are fabulous and work hard to burn fat, those cinnamon rolls and their sugary goodness didn't stand a chance!

#secretlyjealous

5499814.png
  • jsyersiii
    jsyersiii Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Funny, I got zapped today. Somebody got promoted and they had a whole spread. Free food! prevailed over weight loss discipline. Luckily we stopped our custom of monthly birthday celebrations with lots of cake.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    yep, monday was the "sunshine club" with their salami, cheese, crackers, and cookies. Yesterday was a raspberry and rhubarb crisp (luckily I HATE RASPBERRIES). Today, well today is Pizza. That's the hard one for me, luckily California pizza is not my favorite, and tomorrow I will be in NJ enjoy me some real pizza.

I will allow myself some if I really want it but then I have to make sure it's within my calories.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Yes, and co-workers ask me what MY problem is when I take thier junk to the cafeteria where I don't have to pass by it, smell it or be tempted by it.

What is your problem? You're moving other people's food without their permission.

If you can't control yourself or give yourself a reasonable indulgence, it is no one else's fault. No one needs to cater to your dietary concerns.
  • Art63
    Art63 Posts: 87
    Options
    Most of us have spent a lifetime associating food with good. The people bringing in the stuff likely mean no harm. They are just doing what they've learned and offering treats is a way to say, "Here, I like you and want you to feel good." A simple polite, "Thanks but no thanks" response is good enough. If they take it any other way than a simple no thanks, it's their problem, not yours.

On the other hand, the temptation is tough to deal with. That is true and that is what I assume the person that started the post is concerned about. It's tough enough when we tempt ourselves but to have it thrust on us is a bit tough to take. Good luck to you. You've all given some good advice and tips on how to handle things.
  • sharae216
    sharae216 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm actually on the committee for these things at work, but we have started incorporating better options. Like today for our monthly bday celebration, we brought in apple pie, grapes, muffins, nuts etc. Some times we mix it up. This month one of the guys who's bday it was said he wasn't coming in the room because there was no cake, but other months we have others asking for better options so its so hard to please everyone. But I think if you do it it moderation and if you can fit it into your calorie count think you can be ok.