at home work-outs??

Options
can anybody give me some good work-outs i can do at home without any big equipment? i can't afford a gym membership or any work out machines... i just need something to help me burn calories and tone up! thank you :):tongue:

Replies

• EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    can anybody give me some good work-outs i can do at home without any big equipment? i can't afford a gym membership or any work out machines... i just need something to help me burn calories and tone up! thank you :):tongue:
  • jadeca
    jadeca Posts: 7
    Options
    Windsor Pilates is fabulous. It really tones you up and is great for an all body work out. I also like to go to youtube and watch video's.
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I really like Jillian Michaels videos...especially the Shred one! They are great.....when I actually decide to do them,lol:wink:
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I have one dumb bell that weighs 10 lbs that i use a lot & I use my wii fit also. However, I don't think you need the wii fit if you don't have money. The two games that i do regularly are hula hooping & running in place. They both give me an excellent workout!!

Best of luck!!
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I recommend ANY beachbody workout DVD's. My fav is Hip Hop Abs!
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

Keep in mind that many work-out videos are available at your local library. So borrow a few of them and see if you like them.

Resistance bands are also a great, inexpensive way to tone up.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    Here's what I do:
    When I just need to get moving:
    Turn on some booty shakin' music and dance around with some hand weights. I keep moving the whole entire time and incorporate some workout video moves with the weights. Just like basic curls and such.

Here are a few websites with workout at home ideas:
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=4&art_id=63471

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/exercise/body_toning/upper_body.htm

http://realwomensfitness.com/upper-body-exercises/womens-beginner-arm-toning-workout/

http://www.fitsugar.com/623122

http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/u/workouts.htm

You can make up your own routine, just be sure to switch it up now and again. I will stop and do abs for one song and then do arms for one song. I'll try to work on legs for one song and then repeat until I'm done. I use the chorus for a "rest" where I just dance and then I use each verse for a different move.

Now, when I'm being a little more diligent about making sure I'm working all my muscle groups I have started doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. You can find it on You Tube to see if it's something you would like. I have space constraints in my living room and as long as you have room enough for like one yoga mat in length and 2.5 in width, you have plenty of room.

I also take a lot of walks around my neighborhood. There's a lot of hills but it's a GREAT workout and it's FREE! Best of luck!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    running is practically free and it will suck the fat off your body like nothing else!
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I would recommend an exercise ball. It doesn't take up all that much space and it will provide you any number of balancing techniques through every workout routine you can possibly think of.
  • aromans
    aromans Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yes!...i'll tell you the best workouts...Cathe Friedrich & Jari Love dvd's you can buy on www.collagevideo.com ... I know i sound like a commercial but i really love these!... I've been working out for years, in decent shape, do mostly cardio, but have to force myself to do weights or toning. Now i don't because i love these, you can make them easy, challenging or intense by the size weights you use or how much you put into it... i started w/5 lbs & now can do 8, 10 or more on some exercises... i use dumbells on all the exercises...didn't want to buy a band or anything extra & they work just fine...they are really helping me get toned... my favorites are jari love ripped & chiseled & cathe's muscle max ...you can watch clips of all of them to see what you like... they're not annoying to watch or listen to & i like their music...cathe's is best on the music... these are really helping me get alot more toned... hope this helps!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Check out your local library. Ours has a sampling of every work out imaginable. After you find one you really like then maybe you may wish to invest.
  • lacieinthesky
    lacieinthesky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also love Jillian Michaels. I really like the 30 day shred, but I also just got her "No More Trouble Zones" and I was sore for three days, it was wonderful! You just need a pair of dumbells, in the video she only uses 3lb cause you're doing 5 min of the same thing. It's not cardio really, but awesome strength. I found mine and the 30 day shred at half.com or Amazon for under $15 for both.
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    the walk away the pounds Dvd's are really good...
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Hey I know I'm not the one how was asking for workouts that are free, but I want to thank you all for the suggestions. I'm in the same boat and can't afford a gym and don't own any machines and are always looking for something different than the same old thing. So once again Thanks.:flowerforyou:
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I do the Biggest Loser Cardio Video and the Turbo Jam ones. I love them both!
  • Chele36
    Chele36 Posts: 6
    Options
    I AM ALSO A HUGE FAN OF HIP HOP ABS....IT WORKS EVERY PART OF THE BODY.

I ALSO USE MY JUMP ROPE WITH THE WEIGHT HANDLES IT'S GREAT FOR THE ARMS. I HAVN'T THOUGHT ABOUT HOOLA HOOPING, I WILL HAVE TO TRY THAT.

I'VE ALSO BURNED ALOT OF CALORIES ZYDECO DANCING....IT'S REALLY GREAT!
  • LindseyEvans
    Options
    Yes, ANY beachbody workout for sure! I'm partial to Tony Horton and P90X but anything will get you moving with out a lot of equipment. Also see if your cable provider has Excersize On Demand. I do a lot of those exercises in my living room too!:wink:
  • katrana
    katrana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you get netflix, you can watch a LOT of different exercise DVDs as either normal rentals or "watch it now" option. I like doing that because I sometimes get bored of a DVD after about 2 weeks :)
  • kimgibbons
    kimgibbons Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you really want a great workout, you should try P90x. I have been doing it for several months and it is awesome. You don't really need anything other than a few hand weights. It's pretty intense so it would depend on what kind of workouts you were wanting to do. It is a bit expensive too...but WELL worth it. Check out Beachbody.com if you want some more info (they also have other at home workouts on that site)
    Good luck!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I have a workout that SOUNDS crazy, but I've done it almost daily for over a year....

I start every morning with my favoutie workout... I run around the house cleaning!

I warm up with either a run on the treadmill, or a DVD (e.g. Jillian Michael's Shred) and then while keeping my heart rate up (I wear a monitor to ensure I'm keeping my heart rate at least 70-80%) I clean the house - tidy things, picck up toys, change bed sheets, clean out drawers, dust, vacuum, do laundry, sweep (regular squats and plie squats during vacuuming to keep heart rate high - and always have your core engaged). I also interchange sprints, lunges, push ups, etc.

I obviously don't spray Windex, or scrub toilets, but my house is always clean and organized! I highly recommend it!
    :flowerforyou: