Walking shoes to support 400+ pounds?

Options
Hey (: I've recently started walking a lot more than I usually have, today I walked 2 miles, and did 2 yesterday also. The tennis shoes I'm using I've had for 3 years or more probably and the soles are well past their prime. My feet literally ache today after walking. The day before I used my sandals so my feet didn't hurt then >_>

I'm looking for anyone that has advice on a brand of shoe that could support 400 pounds? Currently I'm sitting around 430. I can't really just go to a store and buy shoes, typically I take a wide width, or a double wide width which are near impossible to find. I'm afraid to buy shoes online, shipping costs are expensive and then the returns when/if the shoes don't fit. I bought a pair a month ago from Shoe Carnival which didn't fit as good as I'd have liked so I had to return them, couldn't find the receipt, so yay stuck with $50 card for there too that I'm trying to get my sister to buy off me LOL. I've considered Zappos, a friend buys shoes from there and due to the free shipping/return she just keeps doing it until she gets the right size which seems like a good idea for me but I don't even know where to begin about picking out walking shoes :(

Any advice or comments would be GREATLY appreciated :D Or a nice foot rub :D LOL

Replies

• WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hey Hon... I feel you. When you start exercising more and using your shoes more, make sure you change them out regularly! It will so help with feet issues further down the road. I didn't take this advice and got plantar fasciitis and now I have to wear shape-up shoes... which I actually really like!

As for a certain brand... it totally depends on your foot. I liked New Balance back in my heavier days, but I've heard others hated that brand. Don't be afraid to shop in the Men's section when shopping for shoes... they run bigger and you will have more choices. I strictly shopped the Men's shoe section when I weighed 400 plus. Try a bunch of different shoes... walk around the house in them before you venture out... find the one that fits you the best! You got this!
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    asics are good. I go to Sneakers ...do they have a Sneakers in your area?

If they could order you some shoes, you could try them out in the store and then if it isn't the right fit you haven't lost anything and don't have to return anything either. Let them do the work.