VO2 questions

Options
I need help from all you exercise physiology gurus. I got a Polar FT60 HRM. One of its features is a "fitness test" that is supposed to give you the VO2 #. It tested me at "25" which is "fair" for my age group. I recently went to my health care provider, and they did a test where I ran on a treadmill, with a mask and hrm, to read the gas exchange. They tell me my VO2 # is "33" (superior for my age group). I changed the number in my HRM to 33, because I really want an accurate read on calories burned, for eating back exercise calories. To my surprise with the new # my calories burned numbers are a fair amount higher ( I was expecting the opposite-shows how little I know). Now I'm nervous. Anyone know which # would be better to use in the FT60? They claim their # is as accurate as any other test, but the two numbers I have are so far apart. I just don't know what to think anymore.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Your actual VO2 measurement is almost certainly the more accurate number (assuming they did the VO2 test properly).

The Polar "fitness test" is nothing more than a rough correlation of your resting heart rate to an estimated VO2max level. There is a lot of variability there. So the actual measured VO2max is much better.

For an HRM, however that's only part of the story (an extremely important part). You also have to enter your true maximum heart rate. Again, I don't know if the test you took was a true "max" test, or if they are interpolating submax results, but the max heart rate setting on the FT60 is as important as the VO2max number.

If you have both, then the accuracy of your FT 60 will be greatly enhanced. Keep in mind, however, that HRM calorie counts are most accurate only during steady-state aerobic exercise. They will be less accurate for sprint training, aerobic classes, and circuit training, and they aren't accurate at all for strength training.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I thought VO2 max tests were blood tests????
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I didn't know I could enter the max heart rate-I'll try to figure that out. I generally use the HRM for running and walking. Does walking qualify as steady state aerobic exercise? Also, how would I know if the max heart rate they gave me is actual vs. interpolated?
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It wasn't a blood test. It was a treadmill test, where they monitored heart rate and gas exchange, while increasing the speed, then incline, until you can't keep going.