Drinking Water While Doing Cardio DVD's

Options
I always seem to be soooooo thirsty WHILE working out. I keep a big glass of water beside me and drink it all pretty much WHILE working out. Is this normal? I do alot of different work out dvd's (cardio and sculpting) and some people tell me not to drink too much h2o during the workout. Anyone else do this? Even if I'm only doing a 30min dvd, I seem to gulp down a bottle of water thru it.

Replies

• destinyisyours
    Options
    I always seem to be soooooo thirsty WHILE working out. I keep a big glass of water beside me and drink it all pretty much WHILE working out. Is this normal? I do alot of different work out dvd's (cardio and sculpting) and some people tell me not to drink too much h2o during the workout. Anyone else do this? Even if I'm only doing a 30min dvd, I seem to gulp down a bottle of water thru it.
  • heather93277
    Options
    I say if you're thirsty, drink! LOL I, myself, get dry sticky mouth if I don't drink enough during my work outs... nasty! :sick: I read somewhere that chewing a piece of gum can help with this but I always forget :wink:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the "right" way to drink is, but I always down a lot of water while I'm working out, too & have never had a problem with it.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I always drink too - not a whole lot - maybe 250 mls during, and about 500 mls afterward. I don't think that is a problem!
    :flowerforyou:
  • destinyisyours
    Options
    Yeah, it's never bothered me either, just curious if it was just me. Because the people IN the dvd sure are not gulping it down. Lol...
  • ljiljana
    ljiljana Posts: 2
    Options
    :drinker: I always drink water when I exercise. I try to drink during and after the exercise but I always dring room temperature water.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's never bothered me either, just curious if it was just me. Because the people IN the dvd sure are not gulping it down. Lol...

I do TurboJam & Chalene is always saying to stay hydrated & then after the Turbo, all the people head off to get a drink for a second. They don't drink nearly as much as ME, but at least I know they're drinking! :laugh:
  • FitMom2Be
    Options
    I drink a lot of water while working out too. It's fine if you're perspiring and I happen to sweat a lot! Gross BUT good for the body. I read somewhere, can't remember where, that you should drink 8oz of water every 15-20 minutes of exercise to replenish what your body sweats. Sipping it is fine, just don't drink too much all at once. I did that once and found myself sooooo nauseous.
    HTH.
  • heather93277
    Options
    Sipping it is fine, just don't drink too much all at once. I did that once and found myself sooooo nauseous.
    HTH.

That's so true.. I drank way too much one time & literally heard it sloshing around in my tummy and ended up with a tummy ache LOL oops :tongue:
  • destinyisyours
    Options
    thanks everyone :flowerforyou:
  • heather93277
    Options
    oopsie, double post
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I also dont think there is a right and wrong answer to this question it is all about your preference.

I used to drink water during exercising but since I got my heart rate monitor I find when I drink water during my workout my heart rate goes down. So to keep it up I axed out the drinking water unless I am dying!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I also dont think there is a right and wrong answer to this question it is all about your preference.

I used to drink water during exercising but since I got my heart rate monitor I find when I drink water during my workout my heart rate goes down. So to keep it up I axed out the drinking water unless I am dying!

GET OUT!!! Who would have thought!?! Does it go down significantly? Interesting....
    :flowerforyou:
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Ya I know the first time it happened I was like are you kidding me now I have to work harder to get it back up!

It all depends where my heart rate is, is how much it goes down.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    P90X has rest sections built into the workouts and they remind you to drink. I'm thinking it's important when you're doing an intense workout and are sweating a lot.
  • weaverc
    weaverc Posts: 158
    Options
    I workout a lot and drink about 22oz. during a 60 minute workout depending on intensity. I have to be careful beause if I drink too much, with all the cardio I do, sometimes it feels like it might come back out.
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a few intense cardio classes at the gym here and there and every time, the instructors have water breaks, encourage water drinking, etc. Last night the instructor noticed my 32 oz bottle was almost empty towards the middle of class, he advised 'drink slow unless you need a refill' ( I didnt want to stop working to refill)

So its all good.