Gluten Free?

Options
shaelataylor
shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
Hey guys! I have a friend who is on a gluten free diet because of health issues. If any of you have gluten free recipe ideas (or a really good website for them), she would greatly appreciate them! ...and maybe I'll be able to get her to join! Thanks! :D

Replies

• LyneLM
    LyneLM Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/

Healthful Pursuit, love love LOVE that website. Recipes are fabulous, I have tried a few of them.

Good luck to your friend (and nice of you to help)!
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    there are two "for Dummies" books out there that are good for that. There is: "Living Gluten-Free for Dummies" and "Cooking Gluten-Free for Dummies." A friend of mine has Celiac's Disease and had to go gluten free a few years ago and both those books have been really helpful for her. They let you know what to eat and what not, which a doctor should tell you but it's still good to have them on hand for quick reference.

Hope this helps!! Not sure about websites or that but I'm sure if you typed "Gluten-Free" or some other such in Google you'd probably get a lot of stuff back but it's hard to know if it would be accurate... I wish your friend all the best and good luck because living Gluten Free isn't easy....
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    I'm gluten and milk free and I don't know any recipes off the top of my head but if your friend needs advice in the future feel free to ask me. I know Bobs Red Mill and Glutino are two companies that are almost exclusively gluten free and make pretty good stuff.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Stephanie O'Dea, whose family eats gluten free, did a blog a few years ago where she ate a crockpot meal every of the year. Some great ideas in there, all gluten free!

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

Another great website devoted to gluten free. She's also dairy free.

I am gluten free as well, and have been eating this way for some time now. The biggest things I've learned: don't stress yourself trying to find a bread "substitute". Not only are they expensive as hell, but they don't taste nearly as good. I've found most hot sandwich fillings I can eat on a baked potato, and most cold sandwich fillings go well on a bed of lettuce.

For things like cookies, cakes, brownies, etc., don't go out and buy 10 million different flours and xanthan gum, which can get expensive, just find a good gluten free baking mix. I like Pamela's, I can make just about any cake or cookie with it and it will turn out good. Bob's Red Mill brownie mix is delish.

The best gluten free pizza I've found is frozen, it's Bella Monica. It's expensive, but worth it if you're gluten free and need some pizza. For take out pizza, Mellow Mushroom has a gluten free pizza, but it's not nearly as good. If she has to have bagels or bread, I would go for Udi's. Best I've tried yet.

Check condiments! Most have gluten has an additive. You can check the internet for a list of condiments that do not contain gluten.

Oh, and I love Ancient Havest Quinoa Pasta. Much better than brown rice pasta, in my opinion. Sam Mills Corn Pasta is good too.

If I think of anything else I'll add later.

I have a great gluten free English Muffin recipe if you want it.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free as well! I am going to start adding recipes to the database, but it takes time to log them all so hopefully soon. Feel free to friend me, I just started today!
  • Nickiii_123
    Nickiii_123 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    HI! I am gluten free and dairy free and I am also a food blog junkie :) Here are a few of my favorite blogs at the moment:

http://glutenfreetraveller.com/category/topics-2/simple-recipes/

-She has really good, easy recipes that only use a few ingredients. This would be a good introduction to gluten free cooking if your friend is new to the lifestyle. I made the quinoa salad today for lunch and it was Yummy!

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

-This site is not all gluten free but many of her recipes are and the ones that are not are pretty easy to convert. Pretty much everything on here is low fat/ low calorie so its great if your friend is using mfp and watching her calorie intake.

http://www.theglutenfreevegan.com/

-Another vegan site but this one is also entirely gluten free. She has lots of comfort food recipes that have been converted to suit the gluten free lifestyle.

http://glutenfreegirl.com/

-Awsome blog. The author also has a book about her journey to 'glutenfree-dom' and several cook books out. I admit, some of her recipes are a bit complex and over my head but many are simple enough. The recipes I use from this site always turn out amazing.

I hope this helps! As I said I am a food blog junkie so I mostly get my ideas and recipes online, I rarely use cook books anymore. It can be hard to find healthy, low calorie or low fat food when you are gluten free (especially when you get home from work ravenous) but it is out there! Fruits, veggies and meat are almost always gluten free in their least processed forms. Many grains are too, such as rice, quinoa, and corn. Good luck to your friend! :)
  • Nickiii_123
    Options
    purplegoboom-

Yum! Could you please post your english muffin recipe?
  • purplegoboom
    Options
    I usually quadruple this recipe, and freeze the muffins. Just thaw in your microwave and then toast. You will need 3 1/2 inch muffin rings, I found mine on Amazon for about 5 dollars. My fave way to eat these is toasted with peanut butter.

White Rice Flour Gluten Free English Muffins

unsalted butter
    2/3 cup white rice flour, plus extra for muffin rings
    1/3 cup tapioca starch
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    Pinch of sea salt
    2 large eggs

1. Combine rice flour, tapioca starch, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat eggs in a seperate bowl, and whisk canola oil and yogurt in with the eggs.

2. Butter the inside of the muffin rings, and dust with rice flour. (I usually have some rice flour in a bowl, and I dip the muffin rings in once buttered.)

3. Place a nonstick griddle over medium low heat, and set the muffin rings in place. Sprinkle a little white rice flour on the inside of each ring to prevent the muffins from sticking.

4. When the griddle is hot, add liquid ingredients in with the dry ingredients, stir well to form a puffy batter.

5. Half fill each muffin ring, and dust with additional flour. After about a minute, nudge the rings lightly to make sure the muffins aren't sticking to the griddle, and continue cooking for about 3 more minutes.

6. Using a spatula and tongs, flip over each muffin, still in the rings and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes until browned.

7. Remove from heat. When rings are cool enough to handle, free the muffins with a knife and let cool completely. Freeze extra muffins.

Note: Makes about 5 muffins, although I tend to make mine bigger than the recipe says and I end up with 4. Comes to around 222 calories, 33 g carbs, 7 g fat, 6 g protein.
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt
  • katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • purplegoboom
    Options
    I usually quadruple this recipe, and freeze the muffins. Just thaw in your microwave and then toast. You will need 3 1/2 inch muffin rings, I found mine on Amazon for about 5 dollars. My fave way to eat these is toasted with peanut butter.

White Rice Flour Gluten Free English Muffins

unsalted butter
    2/3 cup white rice flour, plus extra for muffin rings
    1/3 cup tapioca starch
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    Pinch of sea salt
    2 large eggs
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt

1. Combine rice flour, tapioca starch, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat eggs in a seperate bowl, and whisk canola oil and yogurt in with the eggs.

2. Butter the inside of the muffin rings, and dust with rice flour. (I usually have some rice flour in a bowl, and I dip the muffin rings in once buttered.)

3. Place a nonstick griddle over medium low heat, and set the muffin rings in place. Sprinkle a little white rice flour on the inside of each ring to prevent the muffins from sticking.

4. When the griddle is hot, add liquid ingredients in with the dry ingredients, stir well to form a puffy batter.

5. Half fill each muffin ring, and dust with additional flour. After about a minute, nudge the rings lightly to make sure the muffins aren't sticking to the griddle, and continue cooking for about 3 more minutes.

6. Using a spatula and tongs, flip over each muffin, still in the rings and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes until browned.

7. Remove from heat. When rings are cool enough to handle, free the muffins with a knife and let cool completely. Freeze extra muffins.

Note: Makes about 5 muffins, although I tend to make mine bigger than the recipe says and I end up with 4. Comes to around 222 calories, 33 g carbs, 7 g fat, 6 g protein.

You know, I don't know how the formatting got all screwy. Fixed.
  • amyh913
    amyh913 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • purplegoboom
    Options
    Almost forgot....Amy's frozen rice mac and cheese? The best.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    I'll be trying some of this stuff!
  • Nickiii_123
    Options
    Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm looking on Amazon right now for muffin rings. I'm tired of paying $5 for Kinnikinik english muffins at the store. They are good don't get me wrong, but I cry a little inside every time I fork over the money lol.
  • csmrozell
    csmrozell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness for other gluten free readers! I've been gluten free for about a year and a half. The first couple of months were tough, but glutenfreegirl.com was a lifesaver. Not just for her recipes, but for her stories. Now that gluten free living is habit, I find most of my recipes on www.foodgawker.com. You can sort by the word "gluten", but you'll miss a lot of naturally gluten free foods. So, I just browse and get inspired. Plus, there are so many recipes that can be converted to gluten free / lower calorie / etc with little effort.
  • kvreeken
    kvreeken Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love this site. I have tried many recipes....
    http://simplysugarandglutenfree.com/
  • aray1107
    aray1107 Posts: 75
    Options
    I've been gluten free for about a year and a half and have noticed huge differences.

I really enjoy elanaspantry.com for recipes.

:) Good luck to her!
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm on a Gluten Free diet, have been for about 5 years, also due to health reasons. I tend to use a lot of normal recipes and simply replace the gluten containing items with gluten free equivalent (eg you can get good gluten-free flours and gluten-free-pastas or rice crumbs instead of bread crumbs etc).

Otherwise there are plenty of good recipes online - just throw something in google :-)
  • Mumbum78
    Mumbum78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been a diagnosed celiac for over 6 years now. I love the book "you wont believe its gluten free" and also Quinoa 365,qll the gluten free meals are labelled and they are delicious!