OT: Need Ideas for Outdoor Birthday Games...

Options
Brandiann
Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm starting to plan my son's 10th birthday at the end of May. We are doing a BBQ at the park and there will be lots of kids (estimating 25 atleast) as well as adults. It will be a long day and I want to make it fun for them. I need some outdoor games they can play and enjoy... Any and all ideas are great :bigsmile: ... Can you also please indicate a small description about the game how it's play, etc... Thank you so very much! :happy:

Smiles,
Brandi

Replies

• Brandiann
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm starting to plan my son's 10th birthday at the end of May. We are doing a BBQ at the park and there will be lots of kids (estimating 25 atleast) as well as adults. It will be a long day and I want to make it fun for them. I need some outdoor games they can play and enjoy... Any and all ideas are great :bigsmile: ... Can you also please indicate a small description about the game how it's play, etc... Thank you so very much! :happy:

Smiles,
    Brandi
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Scavenger hunts are fun - you can make it harder for the older kids/adults by having complex riddles at each location that they need to "unlock" in order to get the next clue. Or the card could have some kind of activitiy that they team needs to complete to unlock the next clue.

Water-balloon toss (if it is hot)

With 25 kids plus adults you can play team sports - baseball, soccer, kick ball, etc.

Set up an obstacle course and have relay teams (think biggest loser style course).

Set up a kiddie swimming pool with bubble solution and put stool and hula hoop in the pool. As the kid stands on the stool (which is in the middle of the kiddie pool), slowly bring the hula hoop up and it will make a bubble "tunnel" around the kid - fun! Then they can make bubble "wands" out of string and stick to play with the rest of the bubble solution. (I know this is kind of geared for younger kids, but my 10 year old still loves bubbles, so that is why I put this on here).

Have fun!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not sure if you want to spend money on these games, but I am having my birthday party outside this weekend and my boyfriend and I just bought a bean bag toss game from Meijer for $25. Comes with the base to throw the bags in (has three holes in different sizes) and 8 bean bags.

You also bring a softball and some gloves and a bat...even if there isn't a baseball diamond kids have great imaginations....maybe a giant beach ball to bat around, or a soccer ball. You can also buy badmitton/volleyball kits for pretty cheap at please like Meijer.

The kids could play tag too...when I was a kid we used to play freeze tag where one person is it and they have to go around and tag everyone and when they are tagged they have to stand frozen in one position....the trick is, anyone else that is running around free can come by and unfreeze them. We also made up a version called TV tag....in order to keep from being tagged, you had to yell out a TV show (from a certain genre chosen) before the tagger would tag you....if you could you were safe.

If space allows it you could play sardines....it's like reverse hide and seek....only one person goes and hides and everyone goes and looks for them. As each person finds the hidden ones, they hide with them until there is only one person left looking for everyone.

Or maybe take some household items and make a scavenger hunt.....or get (or make) a piniata for the kids to break for candy or small prizes......ooh this is fun, can I come to the party?:happy:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    javelin throwing
    but you have to wait until it is dark
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    My kids love a pinata - but then Jerry Seinfeld does a bit about kids beating a paper animal with sticks.... guess it is a bit odd....

I usually make them related to the party theme, for Halloween we made a bunch of black bats, and hung them in our front trees, and they blew in the wind during the party, then at the end the kids beat the heck out of them.... I filled them with little toys, stickers, and some healthy treats...
    :smile:
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Wiffle ball and bat!

I like everyone's above ideas! :drinker:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    My kids love a pinata - but then Jerry Seinfeld does a bit about kids beating a paper animal with sticks.... guess it is a bit odd....

I usually make them related to the party theme, for Halloween we made a bunch of black bats, and hung them in our front trees, and they blew in the wind during the party, then at the end the kids beat the heck out of them.... I filled them with little toys, stickers, and some healthy treats...
    :smile:

Have you seen the newer pinatas? They have a bunch of string hanging down from the bottom, and instead of wacking the poor animal, you just pull one string. Only one string opens the trap door that lets the goodies fall out. I've used this kind of pinata twice and it works well.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Fruit Croquet? We have even played this at adult parties, everyone, especially the kids find it hilarious.

Put a lemon or a lime in one toe of a pair of pantyhose. Use the other leg to tie the pantyhose around your waist with the lemon hanging down in front, so that it can swing freely.

Place a navel orange on the ground at the start line. Swing your hips so that the lemon in the toe swings and hits the orange NO HANDS!!! Keep bumping the orange with the lemon to roll it forward to the finish line. You could do it in teams as a relay and when you get to the finish line, you have to give the lemon to the next team member to bump it back to the start.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Fruit Croquet? We have even played this at adult parties, everyone, especially the kids find it hilarious.

Put a lemon or a lime in one toe of a pair of pantyhose. Use the other leg to tie the pantyhose around your waist with the lemon hanging down in front, so that it can swing freely.

Place a navel orange on the ground at the start line. Swing your hips so that the lemon in the toe swings and hits the orange NO HANDS!!! Keep bumping the orange with the lemon to roll it forward to the finish line. You could do it in teams as a relay and when you get to the finish line, you have to give the lemon to the next team member to bump it back to the start.

That is HILARIOUS - I love it!
    Thanks for sharing.
    :flowerforyou:
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If the kids are old enough, you can do an egg pass.... Split them into two groups and line them up facing each other. Everyone gets a plastic spoon, and they need to try to pass an egg down the line. If they drop it, they need to start again. First team to pass an egg through the line first wins.

If you're worried about raw egg everywhere, you can hard boil them before hand. :happy:
  • Brandiann
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful ideas... I will be using some of them....
  • Brandiann
    Options

Or maybe take some household items and make a scavenger hunt.....or get (or make) a piniata for the kids to break for candy or small prizes......ooh this is fun, can I come to the party?:happy:

Sure you can come... Willing to travel to NY?? :laugh: