Leg Cramps?! Help!

Options
So I just recently started running... more like jogging really, cuz I'm slow! And I don't jog the whole time, I alternate between jogging and walking-at this point I'd probably say I'm still doing more walking than jogging.
I am getting AWFUL cramps in my calves!
I drink a ton of water every day, and I'm relatively certain I'm getting enough potassium in my diet. I also take multivitamins every day just for good measure.
Is there something I can do to make it stop? Could it be my form maybe? I'm kinda clumsy and have generally poor coordination lol.

any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    i should mention that i stretch before and after!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means, but you may want to consider your shoes....sometimes the proper footwear can make all the difference. And I don't know what your fitness level was prior to beginning running, but you may just need to build up your calf strength. Strength train on the days you don't run. In terms of form, you just want to stay relaxed, feet under you when you strike (don't heel strike out in front of you, for example), quick turn over on your feet.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Maybe add a little Magnesium, but I would guess its probably just muscular rebellion from doing something new. But good shoes make a big difference. Have you started your C25K?
  • catcher_in_the_pie
    catcher_in_the_pie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You might be drinking too much water? You might want to try taking electrolyte pills like SaltSticks.