C25K stats. What is a "good" pace

Options
Day 2 of C2K complete! 1.22 miles with a time of 18:30 overall pace 15:07, problem is I don't know if these are "good" or not? What is a "good pace" when training for a 5K?

Replies

• bagelwagon
    bagelwagon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your pace. Continue doing what you're doing, and your pace will gradually increase. Your main focus right now should just be to run the full distance. The more you run, the faster pace you'll get.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    A good pace is a pace that YOU feel good about.

When I started, I ran about the same as you, fast forward to now, and I run 1.5 miles in less than 13 minutes.

The pace that you can complete C25K is a "good" pace.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    don't worry about if it is good or not. Compete with yourself. I know people who can run a 5k in under 15 min, so it's never fun to compare times :)... so just save yourself the heartache.

If you are improving from your OWN pace, then you are doing good.
  • toonces80
    toonces80 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    With C25K there is no good pace. Just keep running. Slow or fast, just keep jogging. You can't work on pace and distance once you are jogging 30 minutes straight.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a cop out, but a good pace is what's good for you. Push yourself each time, but don't kill yourself. I've been doing it a bit, certainly not a runner and do about 12min mile (which is about 5 mph)
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    don't worry about if it is good or not. Compete with yourself. I know people who can run a 5k in under 15 min, so it's never fun to compare times :)... so just save yourself the heartache.

This really encouraged me! Thanks!

I'm stck in Week 6 and its kicking my butt... Any tips on getting through the mental side of making yourself keep going?

And I go way slower than you, OP, but its what I can do so I'm happy with it!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I just kept telling myself that I have no limit. I can keep running forever.

That really helped me get over the hump.
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I just did day 1 and I KNOW my pace was not that high. My jog was at 4.5mph which is slow but I am quite overweight. I read you are just supposed to run at what you are comfortable with and once you complete C25K then you can worry about increasing your pace. Good luck and great job so far!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options

This really encouraged me! Thanks!

I'm stck in Week 6 and its kicking my butt... Any tips on getting through the mental side of making yourself keep going?

And I go way slower than you, OP, but its what I can do so I'm happy with it!

I'm not really firmiliar with the program because i've never used it. However, I do have a lot of experience running. I would just say that everyone and I mean everyone experiences that little voice inside your head telling you "give up", "you suck", "you don't have to finish", the list goes on an on! You just need to ignore the mean little guy in your head trying to get you to give up.

I view it at anything in life; you cannot give up until you are done! It's such a sense of accomplishment when you finish a run you never thought you were going to!

Also, building the endurance to run is a VERY VERY long process. It might take you years to adjust to running. It took me a very long time to build up to the endurance I have today. The fun part about being a beginner is how much you will improve.

I'd keep track of how long it takes you to do a set distance like the 5k or 2 miles... Check it every 2-3 months and you will be SO happy and excited with your progress :)
  • VWbaker
    VWbaker Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I really look forward to getting to the point where I can run a full 5k and I'm fine with it taking some time to accomplish. :-)