Best Running Shoes?

Options
2»

Replies

• leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Definitely get fitted and get some good socks!

I tried Asics GT1150s and after 100 or so miles in them, my evil shin splints came back. I switched to Brooks Adrenaline, which felt a little heavy and cumbersome....not to mention the slight twinge in my right knee that developed on long runs. I finally went with the Nike Lunarfly, mainly because of the weight combined with good arch support. I now own three pairs and love how they conform to my feet.

Overall, get fitted and find a shoe that works for you!
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    X2 on asics. Look for GT2160's, they're on sale everywhere for $70 right now since they're the 2011 model, and are a runners world editor's choice.

Thank you for sharing this! I've been overdue for a new pair of running shoes and Asics are my favorite brand. Love their running shoes.
  • scoste
    scoste Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Love my Brooks Glycerin 9's!! Very comfortable.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Do not spend a hundred bucks on shoes unless you have your gait analysis done at a specialty shop. You spend the big bucks, get the right fit! Asics are a good brand, I like them. My wife likes Mizuno, I think it is.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yup, the best running shoes are the ones that suit your feet and your gait and your budget.

I have had Nikes for the last few years but my latest pair are Brooks Dyad and I'm not completely convinced, I think I prefer the Nike Vomeros I had before. I have pretty specific foot issues though, as I've had a number of injuries to my right foot and ankle so I need something that is a really wide fit. This usually means that shoe stores try to give me New Balance (apparently they're wide) but they just aren't right for me.

Get to a good store, get some advice, test them out as much as you can in the store, check to see if they have a return policy and don't take any suggestions until you have them on your feet. And good luck getting good shoes for $100 - it sounds as though this might be possible in the US but I've had to pay over $200 for my last few pairs. And that was with a discount!
  • jerrytball
    Options
    For those heavier type people as myself, the only shoe I have found to satisfy my flatter, over pronated feet were the Brooks Beast, it's not a super heavy shoe, but compared to running shoes it is heavy, but feet never hurt when ran and you can run right out the box without breaking in.....with that said I was tired of not really having a choice in colors, there were only 2 so I looked on line and found a shoe sold through Roadrunner website call Pearl Izumi from japan, $120 + but light, man what a nice shoe, I liked the color. I have had 8 months now, run 3 miles a day and ran a 10K yesterday in them and still feel as they did when I bought new. I got a 11.5 med. width, because I wore that in the Brooks and other shoes, but they aren't tight tight, but snug.... I will get 12 next time. but pushing 58, 235 Lbs 6'0 I'll take the 1 Hr 09 mins run in 40 degree rain fully suited up with sweats. good luck.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    The best running shoe is the one fitted for YOU! Go get fitted!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Vibram FiveFingers -- they make me feel like I just want to keep running and running and .... (watch out Forest Gump!)
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    The best running shoe is the one fitted for YOU! Go get fitted!

Absolutely this^^^^
  • Krystal924
    Krystal924 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Just bought mine at Swags! Love them. Its like running on air. Cost me $90 Good Luck!
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I can agree with everyone who says "go get fitted". I was one of those that thought it was only for runners. I went, got the fitting and that was the best decision I have ever made. They not only fitted me in a proper shoe but I learned alot in the process. Now I can walk tons and even have decent socks. Who knew it made such a difference? LOL
  • SweetProgression
    SweetProgression Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree, get fitted at a running store. Some runners love aside but depending on how your pronation is they can ruin your feet. After the running store gives their suggestions shop around online for the best deal on those shoes because running stores are over priced. Overall I think brooks are best for serious runners
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    For those heavier type people as myself, the only shoe I have found to satisfy my flatter, over pronated feet were the Brooks Beast, it's not a super heavy shoe, but compared to running shoes it is heavy, but feet never hurt when ran and you can run right out the box without breaking in.....with that said I was tired of not really having a choice in colors, there were only 2 so I looked on line and found a shoe sold through Roadrunner website call Pearl Izumi from japan, $120 + but light, man what a nice shoe, I liked the color. I have had 8 months now, run 3 miles a day and ran a 10K yesterday in them and still feel as they did when I bought new. I got a 11.5 med. width, because I wore that in the Brooks and other shoes, but they aren't tight tight, but snug.... I will get 12 next time. but pushing 58, 235 Lbs 6'0 I'll take the 1 Hr 09 mins run in 40 degree rain fully suited up with sweats. good luck.

heavy runner here too. I loved Brooks Beast but the most recent update they did to it, it felt weird. I ended up going New Balance when I needed to update my old Brooks Beast.
  • jerrytball
    Options
    The more motion control, the heavier the shoe, so I went with a stability+ Pearl again since the pair I have are still a great support shoe, the " Pearl Izumi SYNCRO FLOAT IV", which still supports pronating, but at 12 oz's, which one reviewer wrote "This shoe is so Heavy !!!" Oh give me a break 12 oz? I suggest go have your own custom made, let him wear a pair of Brooks beasts!!!
    I thought those felt light!! If you don't have good arches, you are a big over pronater, flatter feet, there is not a big selection for those. I found Brooks and Izumi...maybe Asics 2150 2160, but those are the 3 that fitters always stirred me too, no nikes..maybe a New balance, but seemed I took those back after 5 runs, the other 3 listed held up well, the Asics were more comfortable for walking though.
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Asics! My daughter is a running.. she runs marathons and she helped me pick out a pair of Asics last fall at Kohls. They are light, comfortable and durable. I love them. I like New Balance too, but Asics are much more comfortable for walking and running. Outback Sports has a sale on them until March 7 approx. $70! Good Luck!

I use these too! Make sure you go to an actual running store and have the shoe fit to your foot properly. It makes all the difference! I always just bought a cute shoe that fit on my foot, but when I started a running program, that was th advice I was given and it was totally spot-on!