I dont understand....can someone else help me

Options
what in the world are exercise calories? i read the posts by "banks" and the links she provided on answering questions and some things I understood and it made sense but nothing on there clarified what are exercise calories and whats the deal with eating or not eating them? can anyone teach me and I have no problem with you breaking it down like you are talking to me like a 4 yr old. I understand alot and consider myself to be very smart but things like this can be somewhat hard to figure out. Thanks!

Replies

• kitn621
    kitn621 Posts: 215
    Options
    what in the world are exercise calories? i read the posts by "banks" and the links she provided on answering questions and some things I understood and it made sense but nothing on there clarified what are exercise calories and whats the deal with eating or not eating them? can anyone teach me and I have no problem with you breaking it down like you are talking to me like a 4 yr old. I understand alot and consider myself to be very smart but things like this can be somewhat hard to figure out. Thanks!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    MFP site advises that you eat back what you work off ..so if you have a caloric allottment of 1200 and you burn 500 excercising you get to eat 1700....some people follow this and some people dont the most important thing is to do what works for you.
  • kitn621
    Options
    that makes sense...thanks and I will talk to my doctor and find out what works best for me.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    if you have a great deal of weight to lose(you are obese or morbidly obese), you can afford to NOT eat them back (at least until your weight drops), but if you have less weight to lose, you should try to eat them.

So, if you have a daily calorie amount of 1400, and then you go to the gym and burn up 400 calories, you then get to eat 1800 that day. It keeps your daily calorie defecit from being too low.

If you go too aggressively, you can depress your metabolism, which will slow or stop your progress.

Most of our members eat them (at least a portion of them), and our most successful long term members recommend it, but we do have some that refuse to do so. :ohwell:

I eat mine, and I have been enjoying progress without any problems.
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    MFP site advises that you eat back what you work off ..so if you have a caloric allottment of 1200 and you burn 500 excercising you get to eat 1700....some people follow this and some people dont the most important thing is to do what works for you.

Well put Mya!! I have to agree that you should ask your doctor and then find out what works best for you and your weight loss goals.Good Luck in your journey!!:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    I think it is important to mention that MFP builds a deficit into your alloted calories. If you are trying to lose 1 lb a week it has already reduced your maintenance calories by 500/day. When you excercise you increase this deficit which is why you can eat them back and still lose weight. I eat most of mine and I have been steadily losing since January.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I eat half back and have been steadily losing.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what dave said.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    Yeah, what dave said.

He un-said it.
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    Yeah, what dave said.

He un-said it.

I know, I missed it and I'm sure I agree regardless.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, banks is a he, not a she :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, banks is a he, not a she :)

you sure about that? :wink:
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    :laugh:
  • kitn621
    Options
    good to know...sorry to banks.:glasses:
  • gmctruck0
    Options
    eating half back makes since to me
  • bethaudrey
    Options
    I "only" have 15 lbs to lose as my goal, but had been working out for an hour a day for a month and had lost NOTHING... then googled and found MFP, read about eating exercise cals, started logging and discovered that I was eating waaaaaay less than I should.

After about a week of eating all my alloted cals AND my exercise cals lost 2 lbs.

I never would have imagined that I would lose weight by eating more, had I not experienced it.
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    I "only" have 15 lbs to lose as my goal, but had been working out for an hour a day for a month and had lost NOTHING... then googled and found MFP, read about eating exercise cals, started logging and discovered that I was eating waaaaaay less than I should.

After about a week of eating all my alloted cals AND my exercise cals lost 2 lbs.

I never would have imagined that I would lose weight by eating more, had I not experienced it.

Yeah, hehe ... darndest thing when it happens but it does. :flowerforyou:
  • bethaudrey
    Options
    :happy: